• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AllPurpose

AllPurpose

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:24 AM

Soft-modded the kid's XBox1 many years ago using the AUF exploit. Over the past year or two, the box has mainly become an XBMC system that is used for games from time to time. About 6 months ago, I changed the system to boot into XBMC as its dashboard. However, due to numerous complaints from the kids, I tried changing it back tonight to its previous Evox dashboard.

Suffice it to say, fool that I am, it looks like I screwed things up pretty bad. I was pretty sure that I had renamed the c:\ root xboxdash.exe file to xboxdash.bak when I changed to the XBMC dash. So tonight, I tried changing it back, but I'm guessing my fading memory was playing tricks on me.

Now, they system will not only not boot into Evox, but it won't boot into the MS Dash either. I get the "Your Xbox need customer support" on boot with a code 21.

Only a handful of games will boot up (including AUF), but it looks like the kids removed the game save exploit from the hard drive and since I can't access the MS Dash, I can't copy it back over. I've tried the Xbox Live trick to see if it will reinstall the MS Dash, but it only offers me the option of exiting to the MS Dash to register, which of course, then triggers the code 21 warning.

On the hopefully positive side, I didn't delete the xboxdash.exe file that had been working but just renamed it.

Is there anything I can do to get back into the drive and rename the file back in hopes of at least getting the system back to the XBMC dash? Perhaps removing it from the XBox and connecting it to my PC?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
The All Purpose Nothing

#2 spliff721

spliff721

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:02 PM

since it will still boot games. you can infact save it. check out XBOXHDM 2.2 it will make it so you can plug the HDD into your computer and rebuild the c partition or just simply find the exploit gamesave you need and install it to the UDATA folder so you can pop in your game and remod.
once you build the USB. populate the C and E folders in HDM folder with stock M$ dash in the C and your gamesaves in the E/UDATA.
then pull the IDE from the xbox DVD drive and power it on. as soon as you see the error 12 pull the IDE from the HDD.
plug it into your computer, unplug any other HDDs or DVD drives pluged into your computer then boot from the USB choose option 1. once the GUI loads click on the black box in the lower left corner and type "xboxhd2" without the quotes. then choose option 2.
once that loads type "xboxhd" and choose whichever option best suits you. im pretty sure there is a rebuild Cdrive option, and this might be your best option if you dont want to loose anything that is saved on the HDD. but if your not woried, i would just build from scratch.
MOST IMOIRTANT: when it is done, unplug the IDE from the HDD and plug the xbox all back together befor powering off the xbox. if you power off before you have the HDD plugged back into the box, you will have a whole other mess on your hands.
if you have any other questions just ask.
for future reference, you should never mess with your Cdrive. just get Krayzies 1.1 game exploit package. it comes with an app called krayzies extras. it has dual boot options and dashboard replacement options.
you gan find it by googling auto xbins.

Edited by spliff721, 29 January 2011 - 08:15 PM.

#3 AllPurpose

AllPurpose

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:44 AM

Will this process require me to have the eeprom.bin file? I lost that when my old computer died, and I foolishly have not backed it up since.

#4 spliff721

spliff721

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:57 AM

no it does not require the eeprom. this is why. because your box still boots games, that means it is stil unlocking and locking on its own. that is why you force the error 12. an error 12 unlocks the HDD then you hotswap, rebuild from scratch or just the cdrive, thats up to you. but MAKE SURE you do not power off your xbox till the HDD is plugged back in. this is the point where it locks the HDD and if the IDE is not plugged into it, it will not lock and then the next time you boot you will get an error 7 and there is no way to fix that without the eeprom

1. pull IDE from DVD
2. power on xbox
3. AS SOON as you see the error 12, pull the IDE from the HDD
4. plug the IDE into your computer and run XBOXHDM
5. when XBOXHDM is finished, reconect everything in your xbox
6. power off
7. reboot and you should be back to stock. (that is to say that your box will boot straight to M$dash and you will have to remod it.)

#5 AllPurpose

AllPurpose

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:56 AM

Okay....got the lid off the xbox, set up my thumb drive, etc.

Removed the IDE cable from the DVD, booted up and got an error 11 instead of an error 12.

Should I still be good to go?

#6 spliff721

spliff721

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:06 AM

hmm?? never happend like that for me befor but its the same thing pretty much. make sure you didnt pull the yellow wire too. but go ahead and try to rebuild. if it isnt unlocked, try keeping the DVD pluged in and pulling the IDE from the HDD right when the microsoft symbol apears under the X during the flubber screen.
JUST REMEMBER TO NEVER SHUT OFF THE POWER TO THE XBOX UNLESS THE HDD IS PLUGGED BACK IN!!!

if it takes more than 10 minutes to do a full rebuild, the HDD is still locked.

#7 AllPurpose

AllPurpose

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:04 AM

Did as you said, and though I was able to format and partition the drive, it was unable to copy over the M$Dash files or the game save.

I was able to copy the gamesave over using xbrowser, however. Disconnected the IDE from the computer, reattached it to the Xbox and then rebooted the system to get the same Error 21 message (as expected)

Key problem right now, though, is that the system will no longer read the game discs, including AUF. Was hoping that I could boot the game exploit to get to Evox and ftp the dashboard files. Looks like that's not going to happen though.

Is is safe to assume that somehow the Xbox drive locked up? If so, is it a lost cause? If not, what now?

#8 spliff721

spliff721

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

Well the short answer would be to build an eeprom reader to read the boxes eeprom and unlock rebiuld the drive and then lock again. They are fairly simple to build. And cost about 5 bucks for the parts.
But as for the hotswap method, what did you see when using xbrowser. Was there anything in the C? What happened when you were trying to build the drive? Did it freeze up on you? And last, are yo
u still getting an error 21 or is it different now?

#9 AllPurpose

AllPurpose

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE(spliff721 @ Jan 30 2011, 05:45 PM) View Post

Well the short answer would be to build an eeprom reader to read the boxes eeprom and unlock rebuild the drive and then lock again. They are fairly simple to build. And cost about 5 bucks for the parts.
But as for the hotswap method, what did you see when using xbrowser. Was there anything in the C? What happened when you were trying to build the drive? Did it freeze up on you? And last, are yo
u still getting an error 21 or is it different now?

The only thing in the c: drive were a few files in the audio folder. Was unable to move over any of the key dashboard files.

In terms of building the drive, everything was good until it tried writing the files back to the C & E drive. Seemed to run for about 15 second and then just stopped. Waited 15 minutes with no change. Got to the xbrowser by opening xboxhdm on top of the frozen version of itself. Couldn't access it otherwise.

Still giving an error 21.

It should be noted that the drive wasn't opening all games before the rebuild, just a handful, and the kids were having problems with it beforehand. I guess it could just be coincidence and the DVD drive has gone bad. Who knows?

Will look into the eeprom reader, though I don't consider myself the most technically competent person when it comes to soldering.

#10 spliff721

spliff721

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

you can find them on ebay also. but the soldering is really prety easy.

if it hung up on you it means that you didnt successfuly unlock the HDD. if its giving an error 21 still, it should still be unlocking itself. did you try both methods of unlocking? first is the error 12, then you can try pulling the plug the second the microsoft appears below the X on bootup.
i had this exact same problem once and i fixed it by using another softmodded xbox. i dont suppose you have another modde box handy?

#11 AllPurpose

AllPurpose

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE(spliff721 @ Jan 30 2011, 06:50 PM) View Post

you can find them on ebay also. but the soldering is really prety easy.

if it hung up on you it means that you didnt successfuly unlock the HDD. if its giving an error 21 still, it should still be unlocking itself. did you try both methods of unlocking? first is the error 12, then you can try pulling the plug the second the microsoft appears below the X on bootup.
i had this exact same problem once and i fixed it by using another softmodded xbox. i dont suppose you have another modde box handy?

Tried both methods with no luck. BTW, the Microsoft doesn't appear under the X unless the DVD Rom drive is connected. So I've tried it with the DVD drive connected. Still no luck.

And unfortunately no other softmodded xboxes in sight.

Since I don't have the soldering iron, it may be best to just purchase the eeprom reader pre-assembled. Got a feeling it will save me a lot of heartache.

Thanks for all of the guidance, though. Lessons learned - don't touch the c: drive and always make sure that a back up of the eeprom.bin is around

#12 spliff721

spliff721

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:32 AM

yes lesson learned. i have 4 different eeproms for different xbox's of mine and ones ive modded for friends and family. i keep them all very well labled as to whos they are and i keep them in 3 different places. on the computer, on my flash drive that is dedicated to XBOXHDM2.2 and on my xbox. that way if one goes, i still have them backed up elswere

#13 AllPurpose

AllPurpose

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE(spliff721 @ Jan 31 2011, 12:32 AM) View Post

yes lesson learned. i have 4 different eeproms for different xbox's of mine and ones ive modded for friends and family. i keep them all very well labled as to whos they are and i keep them in 3 different places. on the computer, on my flash drive that is dedicated to XBOXHDM2.2 and on my xbox. that way if one goes, i still have them backed up elswere

UPDATE: After a week of failed attempts at making a working eeprom reader, tonight finally success!!! Unlocked the drive, wiped the FatX partition, rebuilt the hard drive using only the M$Dash files and the 007 game save, relocked the drive, and then put everything back together and....

Error 11. Grrrrrrr........

Two possible solutions here, so I'll go the cheaper route first and then try the other. It's possible I damaged the IDE cable pulling out and reinserting the connections so many times, so I'll replace that first. If that doesn't fix it, I guess I'll look into purchasing a replacement drive.

But, to look at the positive side of things, at least the error 21 has gone away for now and hopefully for good!

Spliff - Thanks for all of your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users