12 replies to this topic

#1 N00bvin

N00bvin

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 03:22 PM

Well these exploits are turning out to be not so "newb friendly" after all... the difficulty is not immense but enough to keep the "common man" from running pirated games.

Good news for M$, good news for us who like Xbox games.

I know some of you have it in your head that this will turn into some kind of "boot disc" but I just don't see it happening.

On a second note I wish everyone who has would stop comparing the Xbox to the Dreamcast. Piracy did not kill the Dreamcast (do a little research)... Sega is reknown for their poor handling of hardware sales, and Sega killed the Dreamcast, not piracy. Remember, there are also those out there would would "fuck" M$, just to fuck M$... they are the "devil" in most eyes...

It's funny how the cycle works as I've seen. People bitch about M$, but I would bet most of these same people have a pirated copy of XP on their machine... because they would never buy high-priced M$ products, but they are high priced (theoretically) because of all the piracy. The M$ haters could not survive without M$. There's a moral in this story somewhere, but it escapes me.

He's how I feel... I could give a shit about M$, but my Windows XP runs pretty good, they made an Xbox that I can play games on, watch movies, listen to music, play emus... you name it. How can I hate M$ for that. What has Linux (holy than thou) given me? Jack shit... I tried to run it for awhile but found most of my favorite games and progs wouldn't run on it.

How about a God/Devil comparison... Linux is God... good and holy, they way things are meant to be in "harmony", but with any faith, it's a pain in the ASS to follow. The Devil (M$), well... the devil has all the good stuff, and it takes nothing but easy old sin to fall in with the Devil.

Looks like I'm going to hell.

(sorry about all this... I just woke up and felt like rambling) tongue.gif

#2 Mage

Mage

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 05 July 2003 - 03:26 PM

So you finally see the light. wink.gif

Indeed the dreamcast was dead from the start, as was the 32x, segacd, and saturn.

#3 crazyfoo

crazyfoo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 03:30 PM

I didnt read this post, but this exploit is definetly newbie friendly... I would've done it by now if i had the damn torx screwdriver..

#4 N00bvin

N00bvin

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE (crazyfoo @ Jul 5 2003, 08:30 AM)
I didnt read this post, but this exploit is definetly newbie friendly... I would've done it by now if i had the damn torx screwdriver..

What, are you TRYING to prove my point?

#5 Mage

Mage

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (crazyfoo @ Jul 5 2003, 09:30 AM)

You're a true n00b due to the fact that you admit to not even bothering to read the post.

If you're willing to open your xbox up, you are not a 'n00b' he is talking about.
Push come to shove, you most likely would have picked up a modchip if this didn't exist then....even if it would be a matrix. laugh.gif

#6 Lordscr

Lordscr

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 July 2003 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (Mage @ Jul 5 2003, 04:26 PM)
Indeed the dreamcast was dead from the start, as was the 32x, segacd, and saturn.

Most ppl would say that the Dreamcast had more of a fighting chance than the rest of Sega's hardware. Just as a compairison, I knew more ppl with a Dreamcast than with all of the others.

#7 Mage

Mage

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE (Lordscr @ Jul 5 2003, 09:57 AM)

Most ppl would say that the Dreamcast had more of a fighting chance than the rest of Sega's hardware. Just as a compairison, I knew more ppl with a Dreamcast than with all of the others.

More doesn't makeup for the fact that it still did piss poor.

By the time sega released the DC, most people already didn't trust Sega, I sure didn't. I only knew a few people who had a dc.

Sega somehow just started sucking at consoles, and now they're doing the only thing they really can, make games.

#8 mknlb50

mknlb50

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (Mage @ Jul 5 2003, 06:02 PM)
QUOTE (Lordscr @ Jul 5 2003, 09:57 AM)

More doesn't makeup for the fact that it still did piss poor.

By the time sega released the DC, most people already didn't trust Sega, I sure didn't. I only knew a few people who had a dc.

Sega somehow just started sucking at consoles, and now they're doing the only thing they really can, make games.

wtf?? i thought sega was doing pretty well with dreamcast, lol. all of my neighbors i know have bought them.

#9 groov

groov

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (N00bvin @ Jul 5 2003, 05:22 PM)

It's funny how the cycle works as I've seen. People bitch about M$, but I would bet most of these same people have a pirated copy of XP on their machine... because they would never buy high-priced M$ products, but they are high priced (theoretically) because of all the piracy. The M$ haters could not survive without M$. There's a moral in this story somewhere, but it escapes me.

Just wanted to point out that MS makes a huge profit on their software sales. MS Office is the cash cow, being the standard document handling systems for all business. If you want to do business today, you need to be able to read and write office documents (yeah OpenOffice can too but not many people know this yet). And even with big volume agreements its expensive, and I doubt they are going to lower that price regardless of the piracy situation.

As for pirating the OS you can hardly get a new pc today without paying for Windows.

Relax, MS's financials are in order.. wink.gif

#10 Crusader

Crusader

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 04:14 PM

All hacks are not user-friendly in the first few weeks. Now, it may not become entirely user-friendly and will reach a maximum point of user-friendliness, but more likely it will become more and more user-friendly.

#11 Mage

Mage

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (mknlb50 @ Jul 5 2003, 10:08 AM)
wtf?? i thought sega was doing pretty well with dreamcast, lol. all of my neighbors i know have bought them.

Funny, most people had a playstation instead. tongue.gif

#12 HSDEMONZ

HSDEMONZ

He Who Posts Alot...

• Admin
  • 12,220 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 July 2003 - 04:55 PM

Some new tools released today.. make the exploits alot more user friendly.

Kinda wish non of the exploits were released tho. I'll stick to my modchips.

I was harsh in another thread.. in comparing the current events to the demise of DC. True.. Sega mismanage that console.. and arguably all of them. Anyone remebers the 32x? Saturn? smile.gif

#13 XeroKitsune

XeroKitsune

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Anime, Video Games, & random other things.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 July 2003 - 05:15 PM

I was working game retail when dreamcast was about a year off of shuting down. Sega's marketing, killing the networking before it began and poor sales reps.

Just a few months before PS2, I rember the Sega sales rep came in and told us how the Dreamcast sucked and she could not wait for the other next gen consoles. With emploies like that they didn't need compition. laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users