Photo

Undelete Usb Memory Data (profile/saves)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Finnulf

Finnulf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:05 AM

Hopefully I'm not in the wrong forum here.

Here's the scenario (I'll try to be brief):

I recently moved my portable data (profile & saved games) from one USB drive to another... the new drive failed (chip popped right off the board) leaving me rather boned; I can see there are files and rough data still on the old USB drive (untouched since the move) and I was hoping there is a way to "undelete" these so that I don't lose months of progress and have to go through the painful process of recovering my profile.

Any suggestions?

I've tried Xport 360 2.13 and it doesn't seem to support USB memory stick data at all.

#2 tk_saturn

tk_saturn

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:10 AM

Use any non-destructive FAT32 recovery tool. If it were me, i'd also make an image of the drive first.

Edited by tk_saturn, 03 February 2011 - 08:13 AM.

#3 Finnulf

Finnulf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE(tk_saturn @ Feb 3 2011, 02:10 AM) View Post

Use any non-destructive FAT32 recovery tool.

The thing is that there are actually files there (Data0000 through Data0016) but that I assume they are "turned off" so that they appear to have no data to the 360 - what I need is a way to "turn on" the data stored within those files. I have made a copy of those files, just in case.

Edited by Finnulf, 03 February 2011 - 08:15 AM.

#4 tk_saturn

tk_saturn

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:23 AM

If you used the console to transfer them, then the files will be overwritten and you're probably stuffed.

It will be the same as when you quick format a drive. The actual contents will still be there, but the index of those contents will have been overwritten with a blank-ish index. It's not going to physically go throgh and erase the contents, it takes to long and USB Flash Drives have a limited number of write cycles.

You're not going to be able to recover the previous version of the file which contains that index. Your best bet is to get a soldering iron and attempt to fix the other drive.

Edited by tk_saturn, 03 February 2011 - 08:25 AM.

#5 Finnulf

Finnulf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE(tk_saturn @ Feb 3 2011, 02:23 AM) View Post

If you used the console to transfer them, then the files will be overwritten and you're probably stuffed.

It will be the same as when you quick format a drive. The actual contents will still be there, but the index of those contents will have been overwritten with a blank-ish index. You're not going to be able to recover the previous version of the file which contains that index.

Thanks, I greatly appreciate the quick response. Guess I should start recovering my gamertag now.

The part that really irks me is that I moved from a clunky looking 16GB SDHC card in a generic USB 2.0 adapter to a Lexar 8GB USB flash drive. Bad enough losing all my saves, but my Borderlands stuff REALLY hurts - had several characters on the go, including four lvl 69 (one from each class). Irritating that so much time can be lost and no one will do anything (I doubt Lexar would recover the data from the chip for me, for example).

I've been trying to solve this problem for hours and I'm pretty much ready to give up now.

Again, many thanks, tk_saturn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users