Photo

Old 20gb Xbox 360 Hard Drive As External.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 charredfields

charredfields

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:40 AM

i plugged my old xbox 360 20gb hdd into my computer formated it to fat32, when i goto use it on my xbox it reads it as tho there is still xbox 360 saved games and other data. but its blank on my computer. i used "USBXTAFGUI_v44" and everytime i open a folder or try to make one it wont let me. its as tho the image is there but it isnt...

i want to use to for storing movies and music

#2 Ketchup_Bomb

Ketchup_Bomb

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Lacrosse, Running
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:50 AM

If you really formatted it from FATX, the Xbox shouldn't be able to recognize it at all, other than saying it's an external storage device.
The same applies to your computer; it shouldn't be readable in XTAF.

How did you go about formatting it on your computer?

#3 charredfields

charredfields

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE(Ketchup_Bomb @ Feb 5 2011, 02:50 AM)  

If you really formatted it from FATX, the Xbox shouldn't be able to recognize it at all, other than saying it's an external storage device.
The same applies to your computer; it shouldn't be readable in XTAF.

How did you go about formatting it on your computer?

thats how i did it, i used an dock to find it and formatted in windows

#4 infamousxx

infamousxx

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:03 AM

yea now u have a pc hdd,unless u can find the bin files to reformat it back to xbox standards

#5 charredfields

charredfields

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:18 AM

well i want to use it as external hdd for movies on my xbox but when i put it in it says it is "hdd transfer cable" and not an external hdd

#6 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:09 PM

If you don't have a JTAG Xbox then the 360 should recognize it as an external drive and have 16gigs of free space at best. Worst case scenario is that the Xbox won't recognize two hard drives if you aren't JTAG'd.

Is your Xbox JTAG'd?

#7 Ketchup_Bomb

Ketchup_Bomb

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Lacrosse, Running
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE(infamousxx @ Feb 5 2011, 03:03 AM)  
yea now u have a pc hdd,unless u can find the bin files to reformat it back to xbox standards
Once formatted from FATX, there's no way to make it native FATX again. The best you can do is use it as a USB storage device on the 360.
If it were one of those hackable Wester Digital drives, then you could reflash it, but this is a stock OEM 20GB HDD.

How did you format it on your computer? It isn't natively recognizable on the PC, so how did you go about it?

#8 charredfields

charredfields

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:42 PM

well i had an old external hard drive that died i took out the old sata hard drive from the case plugged in the old 20gb xbox hard drive and it loaded up the drive name and it formated it as fat32. plugged it into my xbox it still reads it as having saved games.

so i plugged it back into my pc it shows up as having nothing on it. i ran "USBXTAFGUI_v44" it finds saved games and stuff but they arent really there just an image it seems.

if plugged into xbox it reads it as "transfer cable" and i cant format it or anything.

my other hdd for my xbox is a 250gb wdbev drive.

#9 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:11 PM

Formatting a drive only changes a small fraction of the information. Basically if you format a 360 drive to NTFS the partition information is transparent, both Tables Of Contents remain on the drive simultaneously. I remember doing this once, formatting the drive and copying files then connecting to a JTAG'd 360 and it still showed the old profiles and games. I'm sure that many games must have been corrupted from conflicting FAT blocks where the PC data must have overwritten 360 data.

Seems to me that there must be a way to restore the drive as 360, I'm sure a JTAG 360 can format it because I format NTFS drives on JTAGs all the time, 500GB, 1TB... The HD firmware hasn't be changes so it should still work on Live consoles?

XP will recognize and format a stock 20 GB 360 drive, just did it:
Right click My computer / Manage / Disk Management
It will see the drive and let you format it, put back in 360 and profiles-games are still there.

I don't know what this USBXTAFGUI_v44 prog you are talking about does, perhaps it fudges something on the drive...

Edited by relaxxx, 05 February 2011 - 11:23 PM.

#10 charredfields

charredfields

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:40 AM

hmm, lame. well my computer reads it fine as no data guess ill just have to watch movies streaming...

that program is used to copy saved data like dlc to the hdd or usb from the pc btw.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users