Photo

Tried To Upgrade Xbmc, Now It Won't Load, Son Is Heartbroken......

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 epi4561

epi4561

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:43 AM

Basic xbox info:
My xbox was softmodded by a previous co-worker. I have since upgraded from the original HDD to a slightly larger one (using Slayers evox auto installer 2.6 and xboxhdm) and never had issues.

What I did:
I found the latest overnight build 30805 (I think), which unpacked in a folder called Build rather than XBMC... I ftp-ed to the xbox from my laptop and transferred then contents of the Build folder to the contents of the XBMC folder on the xbox. Well it didn't copy all of the files but I was still able to load XBMC. I decided as a precaution to copy the Build folder to the xbox.

I noticed that my video plugins which had always worked, suddenly stopped working. So I decided to put the previous version back on there, using the same method, and again, it failed to copy some files. But I thought no big deal, since it worked last time. I restarted my xbox and it wouldn't load past the original green x.

I took my hdd out and found my xboxhdm disk and tried restoring the c: partition. I also used the xbrowser option. I browsed to E:/Apps, renamed XBMC to XBMCOLD. Then I renamed Build to XBMC. I locked the HDD and put it back in the xbox and now it will go past the green x and go to the screen like it would normally if no game was loaded... like it's not even softmodded

Is there any way of recovering the softmod without losing any of the partitions? I have put quite a few games and stuff on there for my son and I really do not want to lose any of the data on m F partition.

When I made my xboxhd disk, I left the E folder empty. Could I make a new xboxhd cd and add the data from the original HDD to the E folder?

Can I clone just the E partition from the original xbox, or does it clone all or nothing? and will cloning knock out the F partition?

I know I just hit you guys with a lot of stuff, but I don't want to leave anything out. Any help is Greatly appreciated.

thanks-epi

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE(epi4561 @ Feb 12 2011, 09:43 AM) View Post
I took my hdd out and found my xboxhdm disk and tried restoring the c: partition.

Bad move. Don't use xboxhdm again until you've exhausted all other possibilities, and even then don't use the one you've been using - start with a new, clean one - we'll come to that later.

What colour is the LED when the Xbox is running? Can you load Slayers?

#3 epi4561

epi4561

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:26 AM

it's an orange ring. I think I tried loading slayers disc in the xbox. I don't remember what it said, but it didn't work.. I'll try it again and let you know what happens.

thanks-epi

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:54 AM

If the LED is green then turns orange after the flubber screen and the Microsoft logo then your softmod is still working. All you need to do is get a boot disc (HeXEn, Slayers, AID) working to give you FTP access. Burn to DVD-R at 4x or slower.

Once you get FTP working remove the build folder and the contents of your existing XBMC folder from your Xbox, and replace the contents of the XBMC folder with the files and folders from the latest XBMC build.

#5 epi4561

epi4561

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:05 PM

I was wrong. It looks like the ring stays green the entire time.. I guess I'll have to start from scratch unless you have any other ideas? Luckily, I still have my original 8gb hdd with softmod still in tact.

thanks-epi

#6 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:14 PM

Yes, if the ring stays green then the softmod has almost certainly gone, and you have to start again. Make sure you use Krayzie 1.1.1 or Kingroach NDURE 3.1 as your new softmod.

#7 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:51 PM

If you put your 8gig drive in and FTP the C and E drives to the PC, you can rebuild the bigger HD. Make sure there is a file named eeprom.bin first. If not you will need to back it up.

Ideally you could start with a stock C drive and put Krazie's Ndure on the E drive. You would need to get a game to run the installer. I use Mech Assault. You can use 007 Agent Under Fire and Splinter Cell. You would need to make sure you have the right disk. I haven't ran into a Mech Assault disk that hasn't worked. There are a couple of different versions of Splinter Cell. One will load the installer and the other won't.

After getting the stock C on the new HD and locking it with Xboxhdm, put it in the Xbox and load the game. Run the installer and softmod the Xbox.

Keep the 8gig safe.

You can get Stock C files from a Slayer's CD.

#8 epi4561

epi4561

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:14 PM

I got it going finally. I basically had to start from scratch and just cloned my 8gb and then rebuilt my f:drive. wiped everything out but at least it works again. I can always copy the games and stuff back. Chalk it up as a lesson learned. Thanks for all of the input and suggestions. hopefully it never happens again, but we all know how that stuff goes.

thanks-epi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users