andrewmc

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:38 AM

i've done a variety of cooling mods to my jasper to ensure that its up and running for a long time. recently i did the mod that involves using electrical tape to tape a cardboard square on top of the gpu heatsink. i guess the theory behind this is that if you create a better suction effect on the gpu are then the temps will drop. well i have no way of checking temps, but by feeling air coming out the the back fans it seems to have somewhat restricted airflow. furthermore the frame rate still drops in games when theres a lot of action. so i guess my question is could this mod be more detrimental than positive? should i take the electrical tape and cardboard out of the fan duct area of my jasper?

Edited by andrewmc, 15 February 2011 - 12:39 AM.

#2 KoukiMonster91

KoukiMonster91

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:28 AM

dont cover the whole heatsink with cardboard. just the back half

#3 andrewmc

andrewmc

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:47 AM

QUOTE(KoukiMonster91 @ Feb 15 2011, 02:28 AM) View Post

dont cover the whole heatsink with cardboard. just the back half

so your saying to cover it halfway with cardboard instead of completely?

#4 digipimp75

digipimp75

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:13 AM

Have you had any issues with the Jasper, or is this just a preventative measure? Not to say that it'll last for years, but Jaspers are the most reliable and you shouldn't need to do all the little cooling tricks.

#5 K1Kingy

K1Kingy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:30 AM

QUOTE(andrewmc @ Feb 15 2011, 02:47 AM) View Post

so your saying to cover it halfway with cardboard instead of completely?

The idea is to pull cold air in, drag it through the heatsink fins and then push the warm air it is replacing out the back through the external fans.

By covering half of the heatsink in cardboard you are forcing the cool air to actually be sucked through the fins of the heatsink rather than over the top. However if you do cover the entire heatsink then yes you will be restricting the amount of of air that can fit though the gaps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users