#1 zap805

zap805

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:56 PM

I soldered a 12v fan to the motherboard using the very nice power sources guide. But after i soldered it, when i turn the 360 on i now get 3RROD error 0012, the fan powered nicely. I removed the solder and the 2 wires for the fan and i still get the same error!
I have checked around the board but everything looks fine, it doesn't look as if anything has been clearly destroyed
IPB Image
This big silver bit at the bottom of the image is the left memory unit slot just to give you an idea of where this spot is.
I soldered the 12v wire to the bottom of the MOSFET on the right and soldered the ground to the top right of the MOSFET on the left. Does this look ok or have i damaged something? How would i go about replacing this?
THANKS!

#2 masterofpuppets

masterofpuppets

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:06 PM

Sounds like you fryed a MOSFET probably too much heat from your soldering iron. You will need to find a replacement and apparently they are not easy to find so you will probably have to get it from another mobo.

#3 zap805

zap805

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:13 PM

Ah ok, if i remove a MOSFET from a mobo, what sort of error would it give?
I also had a problem that the solder would not stick to the metal and would keep falling off, is this because of the type of solder?

#4 Vr5fx

Vr5fx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:22 AM

It's not easy soldering to the metal. Better to go for the front fan header or directly to the underside of the power socket. If your sure that the mosfet it dead, let me know. I have a few lying around.

Also, use a heat gun to get the mosfet off, makes it easier.

#5 masterofpuppets

masterofpuppets

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:47 AM

If the solder isnt sticking your either not getting enough heat or you might just need to clean the point your going to be soldering to with a bit of alcohol.

#6 zap805

zap805

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:59 PM

Ah last night i found THIS hanging off the board just to the right of the first image:
IPB Image
I looked back at the image i took of my board (which i cropped for this forum) to see that was hanging off there as well. I touched it and it literally just dropped off as it seemed to be hanging by a thread. I have tried holding this back on and i get a different 3RROD error of 0002 (I think that was it) and if i take it off completely i get the original error i got before.
Maybe it wasn't the MOSFET after all?

#7 nm*13

nm*13

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

0002 has to do with the mosfet. replace the mosfet and the piece that fell off and your xbox should work. next time just solder to the 12v spot under the motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users