• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JollyJoBo

JollyJoBo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:42 AM

Okie dokie, so I have fixed 5 Xbox 360's in the past by removing the x clamps and bolting down the heat sinks for the graphics card and processor with no trouble. This time, I went about trying to fix a buddy's in the same manner. The only problem is, after I bolted down the heat sinks and went to power it up in order to overheat it, the xbox wouldnt really boot up. The red rings would flash, but the fan never came on and the heat sinks never get hot no matter how long I leave the xbox "on". It is a normal xbox 360 premium with HDMI out, and not the new konnect ready one. I dont know what im doing wrong! Can anyone help please?

Thanks!

#2 BigBoss2607

BigBoss2607

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE(JollyJoBo @ Feb 25 2011, 12:42 AM) View Post

Okie dokie, so I have fixed 5 Xbox 360's in the past by removing the x clamps and bolting down the heat sinks for the graphics card and processor with no trouble. This time, I went about trying to fix a buddy's in the same manner. The only problem is, after I bolted down the heat sinks and went to power it up in order to overheat it, the xbox wouldnt really boot up. The red rings would flash, but the fan never came on and the heat sinks never get hot no matter how long I leave the xbox "on". It is a normal xbox 360 premium with HDMI out, and not the new konnect ready one. I dont know what im doing wrong! Can anyone help please?

Thanks!

Sounds like the gpu heatsink isnt flush with the gpu check to see if its all level.i had the same prob with mine and thats all it was. smile.gif

#3 gimpydingo

gimpydingo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:23 PM

Sounds like you need to reflow. I wouldnt suggest just overheating. Either heat gun, oven or pro reflow would be more effective.

QUOTE(BigBoss2607 @ Feb 25 2011, 06:25 PM) View Post

Sounds like the gpu heatsink isnt flush with the gpu check to see if its all level.i had the same prob with mine and thats all it was. smile.gif

#4 kkdd

kkdd

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:51 PM

if you do reflow it with a heat gun, make sure you flush the chips with isopropanol, let air dry for 30 mins, use no-clean liquid flux, let air dry again and then reflow.

#5 JollyJoBo

JollyJoBo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:16 AM

Thanks for the help everyone! So the heatsinks need to be cranked down harder? What is reflow? and overheating isnt gonna do it either? Sorry I dont know much about these other remedies : ( Thanks!

#6 hangover

hangover

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(JollyJoBo @ Mar 1 2011, 01:16 PM) View Post

Thanks for the help everyone! So the heatsinks need to be cranked down harder? What is reflow? and overheating isnt gonna do it either? Sorry I dont know much about these other remedies : ( Thanks!

Dont bolt them down harder, it may work for a short while but you will damage the mobo beyond repair.
Reflow is where you re-melt the solder so that the gpu gets proper contact with the board again.

#7 Rhino61466

Rhino61466

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:25 PM

Just doing the clamps and reflow will not prevent the rrod completely. You will also need to address the cooling problems with upgraded heat sinks at the very least. Either that or you can just reflow and apply new paste every 3 months.

#8 JollyJoBo

JollyJoBo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:25 PM

Okie dokie. Can soneone expain the reflow process to me please? Or lead to to a set of directions? Thanks for all the help thus far!

#9 Rhino61466

Rhino61466

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:45 PM

http://hackedgadgets...-solder-reflow/

This link shows how it is done.

#10 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:18 PM

That is an over heating TRICK - NOT a REFLOW.

Plus anyone who bothers to bolt the CPU has no idea what their doing.

REFLOWING is preheating the board and then Heat gunning (or IR station) the GPU itself to 250C
to melt and repair the BGA cracks.

#11 Rhino61466

Rhino61466

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:29 PM

sorry this is the link I meant to post http://www.instructa...that-DOES-WORK/

#12 Ironman268

Ironman268

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:32 PM

If your fans or dvd drive don't do anything and theres no overheating, then you torqued one of the heatsinks down too much and its shorting with the rest of the board.

#13 digipimp75

digipimp75

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE(Rhino61466 @ Mar 1 2011, 02:29 PM) View Post

sorry this is the link I meant to post http://www.instructa...that-DOES-WORK/

Whoa, that's pretty much my EXACT setup lol. Same griddle, same Irwin quick grips, and aoyue968 rework station. Some call it ghetto-fabulous but hey... it gets the job done I think smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users