• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jlb555

jlb555

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:24 AM

I instilled unleashx on the original hard drive using hdm got the eeprom and put a new hard drive in and used hdm to build one from scratch and i did that the dvd drive broke on me so i replaced with my other xboxs dvd drive which works fine. But now no games auido cds or dvds will load.My broken drive was a samsung and the one i put in there now is a tompson

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

Wrong forum - this has nothing to do with UnleashX, it is a hardware problem.

It sounds like you might now have a broken Thomson drive as well as a broken Samsung one. Check the connections to the DVD drive and the motherboard, and try cleaning the lens.

#3 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:32 AM

If the Thomson was working in the other Xbox it should be OK. From what I've read here any original Xbox DVD drive should work in any other Xbox too.

As Heimdall says: have you checked the cables were pushed home fully into the DVD drive after the swap? But before trying that see if the UnleashX dash is showing the new DVD drive is attached and recognised. Look at System > Settings > Storage > DVD Drive Info. If it's not a cable problem is likely.

When you say discs won't load do you mean they won't read ie. it shows "Init" or "Checking", on the UnleashX dash but the title or disc type of the game/DVD/CD doesn't appear?

Does the front LED show continuous flashing even after you've closed the tray drawer?

Can you hear the DVD drive actually working/spinning and does it just click a few times after the drawer closes and then report an "Empty" tray?

What about the UnleashX Auto Launch settings? It's an unlikely mistake but could they have been set to off?

Edited by fallenangle, 26 February 2011 - 01:41 AM.

#4 jlb555

jlb555

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:57 AM

you can here it spinning like it normally does it says intil and then epamty after a 1 muinte and i already cleand the lens to and the auto luanch settings are on

Edited by jlb555, 26 February 2011 - 01:59 AM.

#5 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:17 PM

So it's powered but refusing to recognise a disc is loaded. Is the UnleashX dash identifying it as Thomson?

It could just be the laser carriage is stuck, I had that with one Xbox and since freed up has worked perfectly. However I'd expect you to to have heard some soft clicks as the motor tries to drive the laser but fails.

The obvious thing is to refit the Thomson in the other Xbox just to check if it's still working OK in that and wasn't damaged during the swap.

If it does work, swap it back and if it still doesn't function with the 'new' Xbox you can be pretty sure the problem is not the DVD drive itself. Maybe a damaged cable or a connection problem somewhere just as Heimdall suggested as a possibility.

BTW have to ask: we are talking about original retail Xbox games, DVDs and audio CDs - not backup copies or anything of that sort.

#6 jlb555

jlb555

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:05 PM

the unleashx dash is reads its a tomphson drive and yes we are talking about retail games ,audio cds,etc. Out of curiosity since i built the hard drive from starch is their supposed to be i file in the c:\ for it to work i just checked the laser its fine and put it my other xbox and its fine i would just lie for this dvd drive to work becuase i got like 30+ games and not all of them can play on my 360 and i would like to use mods with halo etc.

Edited by jlb555, 26 February 2011 - 06:33 PM.

#7 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

I wish I could help but whatever the problem is it is beyond my experience.

The DVD drive is known to be OK and seems to recognised and otherwise working properly in the newly modded Xbox. Yet won't read discs.

The softmod seems to be OK or you'd be getting an error message.

Long-shot: you could try replacing the IDE ribbon cable with the one from the working Xbox. That would at least confirm that's not the source of the trouble.

Desperate long-shot: if you have the MS dash still available you could boot that and see what happens when you try to use the DVD drive. I wouldn't expect it to make any difference at all but I've run out of sensible ideas about what to suggest doing next.

It might help if you asked the one of the mods to move this topic to the Hardware forum where you might get a wider range of replies.

#8 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:54 AM

Moved to gen. hardware chat - when I had a thomson drive tgat was finicky and I ended up replacing it to get it to work, hopefully you will get better help here than in teh unleahsX forum as its not related to what dashboard you are using.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users