spliff721

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:36 AM

cut this LYNKSYS WRT54G2 router loaded with DD-WRT set to be a repeater on my network into the top of my case.

IPB Image

IPB Image

i cant be the first guy to do this, but the idea that my xbox will be wireless and it will be giving me wifi gives me a hard on. i think its gonna look sick once i paint it. i think im going to go silver and black.

#2 Nextelhalo

Nextelhalo

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:19 AM

That looks badass and that's a badass idea!! I look forward to seeing this develop.

#3 BuraddoX

BuraddoX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Loves to mod gaming consoles.

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:27 PM

That looks so awesome so it is a fully workable xbox isn't it happy.gif

#4 spliff721

spliff721

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:02 PM

yeah, ill post pics of the whole process and the finished product in a few days. needs a little more bondo work and then some paint.

#5 BuraddoX

BuraddoX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE(spliff721 @ Feb 27 2011, 09:02 PM) View Post

yeah, ill post pics of the whole process and the finished product in a few days. needs a little more bondo work and then some paint.

Well i can't wait to see the process of it happy.gif plus by having the linksys installed into it you can use internet all the time or is it so you can send files wireless to it happy.gif

#6 spliff721

spliff721

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:34 AM

both. the linksys is set up as a repeater on my network. so it recives my wireless internet network from my main router set up in the living room, passes it to my xbox so that i am always connected and it puts its own wifi signal out so that when i have the box in my back bedroom i can use my other wifi enabled devices with much better signal, and i can FTP to it wirelessly, from any of my computers on my home network
when its all done, the box will look like it came that way from the factory. i picked the router up at a local goodwill for 9 bucks. it was brand new, never even taken out of the pakage. i loaded DD-WRT custom firmware on it to get the ability to set it into repeater mode.

#7 spliff721

spliff721

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:30 AM

really close to finish. needs touch up on the side of the jewel. also, the bondo job at the front of the router needs a little love. but you get the idea.

IPB Image

some pics of the process

IPB Image
the idea is to cut this router into the top of the case so that it looks like it was ment to be this way.

IPB Image
i cut it in, hot glue to hold it in place, and a little filler to plug the holes.

IPB Image
filled in what was left of the original jewel hole and marked out where i want the jewel to be.

IPB Image
a little filler for the cracks in the back. you can see all my ethernet ports.

IPB Image
cut the jewel into the top of the router and filled around the edges.

ill post one more pic later on when i get the bottom half of the box spayed and clear coated, and fix the few little bugs in the top case.

Edited by spliff721, 28 February 2011 - 06:33 AM.

#8 BuraddoX

BuraddoX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:27 AM

That looks so awesome now i love how you can use internet and wireless FTP stuff to it i would love to try this mod one day when i get a spare xbox happy.gif i love the paint job nice color i can imagine what the final mod will look like AWESOME.

#9 masterofpuppets

masterofpuppets

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:08 PM

9 bucks!!! These linksys routers cost at least $100 over here! Anyway nice mod I like the idea of using it as a repeater so its not just for the xbox. Is it going to be powered externally or by the xbox itself?

#10 spliff721

spliff721

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:15 PM

i left the option to power it internaly,as it has plenty of holes in the bottom to eventualy run wires if i would like, but for now im going to leave it externaly powered. i may also eventually add som led to light up the jewel. the other great thing about leaving the external power on is i can simply switch the tops of my xboxs to make any one of them wireless, to FTP or stream to any time i want. (i have 4 xboxs in my house, only 1 is constantly hooked to the network.)

#11 BuraddoX

BuraddoX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:57 AM

So hows the progress going now is it in its final version happy.gif

#12 spliff721

spliff721

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:03 PM

here is the finished product. the paint came out wierd on the router, but i think i like it, and am going to leave it this way untill i decide i dont.

ended up going with a hammered silver and gold look

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

it works like a champ. put it in my back room, not only do i get internet conection for my XBOX, i can now use my laptop and wifi on my phone more reliably back there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users