3800sc

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:35 PM

I have a box full of old HDD and Power LED's as well as some from old DVD players and such that I have saved over the years. Can these be re-used for LED mods on an xbox? I have never added an LED so I'm not sure what kind of work it involves. Just thought I could recycle some of these old LED's I have lying around. Thanks!

#2 LJNSucks

LJNSucks

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 13 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:54 PM

You sure could. It might not be the easiest thing in the world to do but it could be done. I did the mod on the Xbox 360 where you make the ring lights on the power button of the console blue (well, actually my uncle did; he's amazing at soldering stuff & I sorta was there watching as he did most of it lol). Where exactly would you put the LED's on the Xbox (in the top Xbox logo, around the perimeter of the fans, etc)?

#3 3800sc

3800sc

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE(LJNSucks @ Mar 3 2011, 12:54 PM) View Post

You sure could. It might not be the easiest thing in the world to do but it could be done. I did the mod on the Xbox 360 where you make the ring lights on the power button of the console blue (well, actually my uncle did; he's amazing at soldering stuff & I sorta was there watching as he did most of it lol). Where exactly would you put the LED's on the Xbox (in the top Xbox logo, around the perimeter of the fans, etc)?

Was actually thinking of adding HDD and Network activity LED's.

#4 memainman

memainman

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:24 PM

you can and should!
though you will need a resistor.

heres a nice helpful tut for the HDD led: http://www.xbox-scen...es/hdd-led2.php though i recomend you put a plastic bezel on the LED before putting it in the case. makes it look much nicer. also note that that circuit leaks <1v when it is powered off so be aware of that! also also note that YOU SHOULD USE A DIFFUSED LED of the less intensive kind. i used the brightest, clearest 3mm blue led i could find and it constantly blinded me. also also also you may desire to put a switch in the circuit so you can turn off the light while youre watching movies or dont want it to annoy you while youre doing something.

the LAN activity LED is a little trickier and i couldnt find one with getting un-lazy, but its the same principal as the other one.

so yeah. good luck!

#5 3800sc

3800sc

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE(memainman @ Mar 3 2011, 05:24 PM) View Post

you can and should!
though you will need a resistor.

heres a nice helpful tut for the HDD led: http://www.xbox-scen...es/hdd-led2.php though i recomend you put a plastic bezel on the LED before putting it in the case. makes it look much nicer. also note that that circuit leaks <1v when it is powered off so be aware of that! also also note that YOU SHOULD USE A DIFFUSED LED of the less intensive kind. i used the brightest, clearest 3mm blue led i could find and it constantly blinded me. also also also you may desire to put a switch in the circuit so you can turn off the light while youre watching movies or dont want it to annoy you while youre doing something.

the LAN activity LED is a little trickier and i couldnt find one with getting un-lazy, but its the same principal as the other one.

so yeah. good luck!

Thanks for the link. Now I just gotta figure out which side is which on my used led's smile.gif

#6 memainman

memainman

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:35 AM

a small 1.5v button battery usually helps with that.

#7 3800sc

3800sc

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE(memainman @ Mar 4 2011, 02:35 AM) View Post

a small 1.5v button battery usually helps with that.

Can you elaborate on this? I am going out to get the resistors today and I'll grab a battery too if it will help me get this right.

#8 drkpassion1

drkpassion1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE(3800sc @ Mar 4 2011, 11:43 AM) View Post

Can you elaborate on this? I am going out to get the resistors today and I'll grab a battery too if it will help me get this right.

the led will usaly have a small flat side on the neg side will have to look hard for it but should be there
and two aa bateries try each lead will only light one way and with 3 volts you wont kill the leds if you get it wrong

#9 3800sc

3800sc

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE(drkpassion1 @ Mar 5 2011, 12:19 PM) View Post

the led will usaly have a small flat side on the neg side will have to look hard for it but should be there
and two aa bateries try each lead will only light one way and with 3 volts you wont kill the leds if you get it wrong

Sorry to sound stupid, I just dont wanna mess this up. If I get the LED to light with the AA batteries.... Which side does the resistor go to? These LED's are marked in no way to tell which side is which.

#10 drkpassion1

drkpassion1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:28 AM

the resistor goes on the plus side
and yea some are very poorly marked

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users