Photo

What Are The Best Possible Fixes For This Rrod?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mooch49

mooch49

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:02 AM

error code 4414, which is most likely a southbridge problem. thanks

#2 Avinitlarge

Avinitlarge

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:07 AM

Shouldnt that be 0010?? If it is a bad solder connection on the SB I would use some liquid flux and a soldering torch/pen. That what I do and it works every time.

#3 mooch49

mooch49

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:18 AM

QUOTE(Avinitlarge @ Mar 7 2011, 04:07 AM) View Post

Shouldnt that be 0010?? If it is a bad solder connection on the SB I would use some liquid flux and a soldering torch/pen. That what I do and it works every time.

yeah 0010 is the correct code, 4414 was the order of lights. i tried doing a reflow with a heatgun and it did not work. i have never soldered before, so i am a bit hesitant in trying. i guess i can google the process. thanks for the response.

#4 mooch49

mooch49

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:13 AM

QUOTE(Avinitlarge @ Mar 7 2011, 04:07 AM) View Post

is there a tutorial that shows how to do this. i have a soldering torch/pen and some lead free solder

#5 BKster

BKster

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE(mooch49 @ Mar 6 2011, 11:13 PM) View Post

is there a tutorial that shows how to do this. i have a soldering torch/pen and some lead free solder

The South Bridge is BGA man...I assume that hes talking about reflowing the south bridge with no clean flux...what you need lead free solder for?....You are talking about the south bridge and not the ANA/HANA?...are you?...

You need some quality no clean flux,...

B.K. The Tech'

Edited by BKster, 07 March 2011 - 06:44 AM.

#6 mooch49

mooch49

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:51 AM

QUOTE(BKster @ Mar 7 2011, 06:37 AM) View Post

The South Bridge is BGA man...I assume that hes talking about reflowing the south bridge with no clean flux...what you need lead free solder for?....You are talking about the south bridge and not the ANA/HANA?...are you?...

You need some quality no clean flux,...
B.K. The Tech'

yeah i am pretty sure it is the southbridge that is the problem. i have been googling for the past few hours finding tuts and the ones i have done nothing worked. the soldering would be the next step, but i have never done it before. do i want to take that chip off entirely, then sod it back with no clean flux. forgive me i am so confused.

#7 BKster

BKster

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:14 AM

QUOTE(mooch49 @ Mar 6 2011, 11:51 PM) View Post

yeah i am pretty sure it is the southbridge that is the problem. i have been googling for the past few hours finding tuts and the ones i have done nothing worked. the soldering would be the next step, but i have never done it before. do i want to take that chip off entirely, then sod it back with no clean flux. forgive me i am so confused.

Try reflowing it with no clean flux first then if that doesnt work....its lift up time...you would have to deball the chip and the reset the solder balls on the south bridge...then reflow it right back on without causing a solder bridge.....not to hard huh?...you would need a rework station to make this process some what more easier.Yes you have to remove the whole chip entirely...

B.K. The Tech'

Edited by BKster, 07 March 2011 - 07:17 AM.

#8 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:58 PM

The southbridge has traces going directly to the GPU, under the EDRAM area, which is the greatest failure point.

I would try reflowing the GPU before anything else... but don't listen to me because I'm CRAZY!!

#9 BKster

BKster

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

You could try reflowing the GPU...it may work...but keep in mind that the GPU is connected to the north bridge and not the south bridge...the north bridge is connected via to the south bridge by the back side bus.

B.K. The Tech'

Edited by BKster, 07 March 2011 - 06:05 PM.

#10 mooch49

mooch49

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE(BKster @ Mar 7 2011, 05:57 PM) View Post

You could try reflowing the GPU...it may work...but keep in mind that the GPU is connected to the north bridge and not the south bridge...the north bridge is connected via to the south bridge by the back side bus.
B.K. The Tech'

i've tried reflowing the southbridge and gpu, but no luck. when i turn the 360 on, there is no power. just the 3 red lights. the power supply is amber. my guess is that there is a short somewhere

#11 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:05 PM

Just about everything is directly connected to the GPU:

IPB Image

-

was there no power before the reflow with 0010 error?

If no power begin troubleshooting as if other power errors; test fets, caps...

#12 mooch49

mooch49

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE(relaxxx @ Mar 7 2011, 07:05 PM) View Post

Just about everything is directly connected to the GPU:

IPB Image

-

was there no power before the reflow with 0010 error?

If no power begin troubleshooting as if other power errors; test fets, caps...

its been the same error before and after reflows. that is why i am thinking there could be a short somewhere. but how do i isolate it?

#13 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:25 PM

It's not always easy. Best to have another board to compare resistance values.
Start testing resistance between mosfet bases and legs. you may have to lift some legs and pull some caps.

#14 BKster

BKster

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:34 PM

I believe that this error has something to do with the SMC(system management control).The SMC is embedded inside the south bridge.I suggest check all the resistors and mosfets also caps as relaxx stated in the ANA area and South Bridge area....you got to get technical if you are willing to do so..

The south bridge control whether to enable the Full power...meaning the south bridge takes the power supply out of standby mode with a green light...Its the south bridge....I would try replacing the whole BGA since you said that you reflowed the GPU and south bridge already..check you stanby voltages on U5B2 and U5B1...should be 1.8 and 3.3v.

The bottom line is that the SMC activates the 12v inside the power supply...which enables full voltage to power all the other components...

He could test all the resistor in circuit with the power off and unplugged,.....and he could test all smd caps in circuit with some smart tweezers..all you looking for is the UF value of each smd cap...I going to get me some because its very useful and saves time.

B.K. The Tech'

Edited by BKster, 07 March 2011 - 08:02 PM.

#15 mooch49

mooch49

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE(BKster @ Mar 7 2011, 07:34 PM) View Post

I believe that this error has something to do with the SMC(system management control).The SMC is embedded inside the south bridge.I suggest check all the resistors and mosfets also caps as relaxx stated in the ANA area and South Bridge area....you got to get technical if you are willing to do so..

The south bridge control whether to enable the Full power...meaning the south bridge takes the power supply out of standby mode with a green light...Its the south bridge....I would try replacing the whole BGA since you said that you reflowed the GPU and south bridge already..check you stanby voltages on U5B2 and U5B1...should be 1.8 and 3.3v.

The bottom line is that the SMC activates the 12v inside the power supply...which enables full voltage to power all the other components...

He could test all the resistor in circuit with the power off and unplugged,.....and he could test all smd caps in circuit with some smart tweezers..all you looking for is the UF value of each smd cap...I going to get me some because its very useful and saves time.
B.K. The Tech'

i did a x-clamp fix on the southbridge and now the power supply is red. so i made things worst. i really appreciate all the help you guys are giving, but this problem is beyond my capabilities at this point. perhaps another day i will learn about resistors, capacitors, smd caps, soldering. etc. but i just don't have that time now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users