kolosus

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:02 AM

Ok. So I understand that the xbox comes with two different types of cables to hook it up to the tv. One is the standard cable with the red white and yellow plugs. The other is the high definition cable with four plugs one of which is blue... It will only show the standard definitions to tv with the normal cables and with the high definition cables you can activate (from the MS dash and recently from xbmc too) the high definition modes of the xbox.

My question is. Is it possible to trick the xbox to showing the high definition video to the tv without the high definition cables? Is it any use if it can be done? Can I see the high definition content with the standard cables?

Please be kind. I'm outta my mind posting this late on a friday night. Most of my posts sound like a five year old when they usually happen this late at night. I can do some clarification tomorrow morning or something when I'm sane.

Thanks.

#2 BuraddoX

BuraddoX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Loves to mod gaming consoles.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:34 AM

no you can not have HD with SD cables your going to have to use HD cables.

#3 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:14 PM

There are actually 4 different cable types for the Xbox, 5 if you include VGA: -

1). Composite - 3 phono (yellow/video, red,white/reight, left audio) standard AV.

2). S-Video - 4 pin round connector plus additional audio phono as above.

3). SCART - supports Composite, S-Video and RGB if fully wired. UK Xboxes (and
XB360s and PS2s) were shipped with Composite cables with SCART
adapters. These can only give Composite output but because they
use SCART there is sometimes confusion.

4). Component - 3 phono for video (green, blue, red) and usually 2 phono for audio as for the other other cables. However some may also include an additional yellow Composite phono or even S-Video too.

Many Xbox cables of all types also have a TOSLink optical audio port built in too.

Component is the ony one that is designed for HD off the shelf but a fully wired (RGB) SCART could be converted to carry Component in theory. But it would be a very difficult dismantling/fine soldering job and essentially you'd just be using the Xbox plug end and throwing the rest away. It wouldn't be a SCART cable any longer.

#4 tristanx

tristanx

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:42 AM

QUOTE(kolosus @ Mar 11 2011, 09:02 PM) View Post

Ok. So I understand that the xbox comes with two different types of cables to hook it up to the tv. One is the standard cable with the red white and yellow plugs. The other is the high definition cable with four plugs one of which is blue... It will only show the standard definitions to tv with the normal cables and with the high definition cables you can activate (from the MS dash and recently from xbmc too) the high definition modes of the xbox.

My question is. Is it possible to trick the xbox to showing the high definition video to the tv without the high definition cables? Is it any use if it can be done? Can I see the high definition content with the standard cables?

Please be kind. I'm outta my mind posting this late on a friday night. Most of my posts sound like a five year old when they usually happen this late at night. I can do some clarification tomorrow morning or something when I'm sane.

Thanks.

your better off just getting the component cables for the xbox. i'd suggest getting the official microsoft type. they are actually cheap. i got mine for $10 of eBay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users