Photo

Risk Of Banning For Using Non-genuine Hdd?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainStu

CaptainStu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:56 PM

With a new slim, what's the risk of being banned for using a non-genuine HDD? I've seen contradicting statements ranging from instant Live ban to absolutely no issue at all.

Anyone care to/able to clarify? Ta. cool.gif

#2 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:03 PM

There's a risk. There are many people who fear no ban, and none reported as of yet, but Microsoft has the right to ban based on the use of non-official hardware.

Beyond that, no one can say.

#3 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,807 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:32 PM

For all the years that un-official hard drives have been used not one report of a ban has been made.

Yes they can likely detect these hard drives but they have not done anything about them yet. I am pretty sure they are more worried about the firmware modded DVD drives than anything else.

#4 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Mar 17 2011, 11:32 AM) View Post

For all the years that un-official hard drives have been used not one report of a ban has been made.

Yes they can likely detect these hard drives but they have not done anything about them yet. I am pretty sure they are more worried about the firmware modded DVD drives than anything else.

I don't believe they will ever ban or stop the use of these hard drives. Mostly its the aspect that people were selling them to unsuspecting customers and MS doesn't want to have any law suits over it or any other problems. The 3rd party cases you can buy at dealextreme.com look exactly like MS cases and even come with the stickers to make it more legit looking.

Edited by BoNg420, 17 March 2011 - 04:39 PM.

#5 CaptainStu

CaptainStu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:47 PM

(Soz for posting in the wrong forum, whoopsie...)

Cheers folks, I only ask coz I just bought a hard drive in one of those cases and it looks the business, engraved and everything and side-by-side with a legit one I bet you couldn't tell them apart and I don't want my Slim to get banned! Not been altered in any way, shape or form - I just object to their ridiculous prices for hard drives which cost sod all.

#6 slyk221

slyk221

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:21 PM

For those wondering this is what I received about 1 hour ago

Xbox Customer Support to me
show details 1:05 PM (1 hour ago)

Hi ****,

My name is ****. Thank you for contacting Customer Support for Xbox.

As I understand you are wanting to buy a hard drive that will not cause you from being banned from Xbox Live. I understand how it feels not being able to know which hard drive you have to buy. I would be glad to assist you with your issue.

Purchasing an external accessory for your console like a hard drive does not modify your console. There is no specific hard drive that you have to buy so long as they are from our listed retailer stores.

I hope I was able to provide you all the information that you need.

For US and Canada, feel free to give us a call at 1-800-4MY-XBOX .

Thank you for visiting Xbox.com. If you should have future questions on Xbox products or services, visit us again at our support site www.support.xbox.com as we are continually adding information to enhance our service.

Best Regards,
Xbox Customer Support

#7 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:39 AM

It will never happen.

#8 CNC3TibWars

CNC3TibWars

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE(slyk221 @ Mar 31 2011, 04:21 PM) View Post

For those wondering this is what I received about 1 hour ago

Xbox Customer Support to me
show details 1:05 PM (1 hour ago)

Hi ****,

My name is ****. Thank you for contacting Customer Support for Xbox.

As I understand you are wanting to buy a hard drive that will not cause you from being banned from Xbox Live. I understand how it feels not being able to know which hard drive you have to buy. I would be glad to assist you with your issue.

Purchasing an external accessory for your console like a hard drive does not modify your console. There is no specific hard drive that you have to buy so long as they are from our listed retailer stores.

I hope I was able to provide you all the information that you need.

For US and Canada, feel free to give us a call at 1-800-4MY-XBOX .

Thank you for visiting Xbox.com. If you should have future questions on Xbox products or services, visit us again at our support site www.support.xbox.com as we are continually adding information to enhance our service.

Best Regards,
Xbox Customer Support

Ya but hes referring to non flashed EXTERNAL hard drives. This thread is about replacing the HDD with a Western digital flashed as an original Microsoft HDD.

#9 APE

APE

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE(relaxxx @ Mar 31 2011, 06:39 PM) View Post

It will never happen.

Never say never. It *could* but it is also extremely unlikely to happen.

For example I was working on a friend's Jasper and he shows me the 120gb harddrive he bought off eBay for something like $40. He hands it to me and it is extremely obvious that some Chinese guy bought some "DO NOT OPEN" stickers and slapped it over the spot where the regular warranty sticker sits. Pulled it off, opened it up and it was in fact a hacked Western Digital.

He'd have been banned for something he had 0 intent to infringe upon and didn't even know he was infringing. He isn't a stupid guy by any remote definition so I could easily see this happening to some kid's mom around X-Mas thinking she is scoring a great deal on a present for her kid.

It'd be a PR nightmare.

Though you could also argue that people selling flashed 360s on eBay without disclosing that fact is the same thing more or less. Typically that is guaranteed a ban sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users