• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 iicanceii

iicanceii

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:36 AM

Opened up a new controller today and found this... An uncommon ground PCB will extremely small vias. http://img96.imagesh...i/photoymz.jpg/
http://img852.images.../i/photo2zb.jpg

Why do you think Microsoft went back to matrix style after converting to common ground? To stop all the modders / evil controllers ?

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,789 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:25 AM

It's a slightly revised version of the original Wireless Matrix is all.

As to why they did it is anyone's guess, but they have money to burn. While it's not as easy to do some things on it when compared to the CG versions, it's not going to do a thing to stop people that really want their controller to do this or that. It only means they'll have to think some about how to do it now is all, and the Matrix was around long before the CG versions, and plenty of those controllers were altered, as will be the case with this newer version of it.

#3 odingalt

odingalt

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:25 PM

Hi-resolution wireless Matrix2 PCB board scan images (6-8 MB file size):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K6NHR5RX
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9QF9BBYB

Lo-resolution version of the same scans (600-800 kB file size):

http://img708.images...topwmlores.jpg/
http://img5.imagesha...tomwmlores.jpg/

Haven't added the nice "RDC Style" touch to this yet - that is, I haven't traced it out in full color yet :-).

#4 jaredb03

jaredb03

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:42 AM

QUOTE(RDC @ Mar 22 2011, 08:25 PM) View Post

It's a slightly revised version of the original Wireless Matrix is all.

As to why they did it is anyone's guess, but they have money to burn. While it's not as easy to do some things on it when compared to the CG versions, it's not going to do a thing to stop people that really want their controller to do this or that. It only means they'll have to think some about how to do it now is all, and the Matrix was around long before the CG versions, and plenty of those controllers were altered, as will be the case with this newer version of it.

I bought a controller from buy.com and got one of these new Matrix2 style controllers. Im trying to mod it with a sleeper kit, but don't know where to get my power source from? I can't find a power source that works consistently. Either the rapid fire is working and the LED isn't, or the LED is working and the rapid fire shoots constantly. Any help would be appreciated.

#5 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:39 AM

If you want a proper switched power source then use an OptoCoupler and make one. The OC would be wired up the same in the Wireless Matrix2 as it is in the Wireless Matrix.

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=703639

The LEDs in the Matrix2 are PWM like the older Matrix, so if your chip isn't designed to work on both versions of boards, Matrix and CG, then the LEDs aren't going to work right.

The Matrix2 isn't much different than the Matrix, and as far as any cRapid Fire chips go, if it works/worked on the Wireless Matrix, it will work on the Wireless Matrix2.

#6 NYCXBOX

NYCXBOX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:39 AM

I also am not modding these things as of right now either. I have one and it is on the side for now. But when it comes to using RF kits on these.. do we treat the Triggers as Matrix or CG? I know the Kit's I use call for 100OHM resistors between the Trigger and the Chip. The CG don't require Resistors. So I am just going to hold off on putting any type of RF on this thing. I do know that if you want a good power source use the TP5 point on the back of the controller - It does work. It definitely has a layout feel of a CG2 as the Matrix 5V power source is not there like it was on the original matrix controller on the right hand part of the board when look at the topside.

Edited by NYCXBOX, 20 May 2011 - 08:40 AM.

#7 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:15 AM

Didn't bother to read the thread?

TP5 isn't switched, so it's not the best power source, and no Wireless controller has a 5v source either.

#8 NYCXBOX

NYCXBOX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 28 May 2011 - 04:06 AM

I just meant as a power source for rapid fire in general. TP5 always worked great for me (I know about the octocupluer thread for true on off)

OK so - Just a heads up. The TP5 actually don't work.

Also as of right now my flavor of RF is not working on this.

I assumed the Ground and LED solder location was the same and I was correct.
MY TP5 did not work, SO I went with the pin that most use to power chips on CG/CG2 and it worked to power the chip (it's right next to the + battery terminal soldering point)
I assume the sync button point was the same (the top soldering point on the black resistor like the Matrix 1) - seems to work with changing modes but I am not 100% as the chip is not working right - I only hooked up the RT pin to the center pin of the RT like on the Matrix 1 and the chip seems to auto fire. Now my chip required a 100OHM resistor for Matrix 1 - so I used it here and NO go , the chip seems to make the trigger auto press and such when I flip through the modes.

Gonna wait for further analysis by RDC before I proceed with trying to mod these.

#9 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:05 AM

There's no point in assuming much about it, it's pretty much the same as the Wireless Matrix, the only real differences are they slightly changed how the controller is powered up (no Inductor now) and a coupe of the buttons have changed as far as layout goes. The Analog parts of the controller, which includes the Triggers, and just about everything else on it is really the same.

The 'black resistor line' is a Diode, and yes it's the same spot for Sync and Back on that one, as are most of the button/diode locations. Even the LEDs work the same off PWM, as would the awful 2 wire 1 button R/F mod that half worked on the old Wireless Matrix.

TP5 on this board is 0.5v off and 1.8v when on, versus the 0v/1.8v of the old Matrix.

The Headset connector spot is always close to the battery voltage on the Matrix 2.

Install that R/F chip in an old Wireless Matrix, powered with an OC on both controllers to eliminate any issues there, and see if it works the same or not. Ignore that it used to or did the last time you used it on one, that same chip there, a real world test Matrix vs Matrix 2 and see, quickest way to tell. If you don't have an old Matrix PM me what method you're using and I'll test it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users