18 replies to this topic

#1 jimbo70

jimbo70

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:32 AM

I have a jtag'd jasper & it was working great for a few months & then out of no where it got the e71 error, secondary error of 1013. From the sounds of it it's usually a corrupt dash update but pretty sure that's not my problem. I turned the console on one day & it booted into FSD as usual, I left it for a couple hours while I ftp'd some content to the external hard drive. When I came back to it the screen was dimmed as it usually is but when I went to use controller to wake it up it was just frozen. I had to press the power button on the console to turn it off. Immediately after it went off it turned itself right back on again & went to e71 & haven't seen the dash on it again since. sad.gif
So far I've tried:
-removed attached harddrive, external harddrive, memory card, kinect, swapped power supply, all=e71
-reflashing the freeboot image=e71,
-rebuilt & reflashed freeboot image=e71,
-erased nand & reflashed freeboot back on it=e71,
-flashed orig nand image back on console=e71,
-tried removing jtag wires for the heck of it while orig nand was on it=e71.

When the freeboot image is on it I can boot to xellous by pressing the dvd button, if pressing the power button on console or on controller it goes straight to e71, does not even attempt to load dash. From the sounds of it, it may either be an issue with the nand itself or need the southbridge reflowed but I'm looking for other ideas before spending the money on that if it's really something else I can fix.

I'm pretty pissed/disappointed being I figured I'd get a couple good years out a jasper & this happens to it. I have a falcon I'm using as a back up for now which is working well so far but would love to bring my jasper back to life.

If anyone has anything else I can try please share.

Edited by jimbo70, 24 March 2011 - 05:34 AM.

#2 tk_saturn

tk_saturn

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:12 AM

You've already posted this issue before and I offered to sort it for you, which was ignored. You need a new NAND image, and i'm not in the mood to knock one up at the moment.

You're mentioning reflowing the southbridge, great idea if you're looking to trash your console.

E71 = Trivial.

Edited by tk_saturn, 24 March 2011 - 06:14 AM.

#3 hangover

hangover

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:44 AM

I have exactly the same problem and tried all that you did apart from removing wiring, i still havent found a solution and none of the so called experts can offer a working solution - not so trivial to at least 2 of us here .

#4 digipimp75

digipimp75

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:33 PM

I only came across one E71 before. Rebuilt the freeboot image, flashed it back, and it worked. Since you've already done that, I'm not sure. If it was working great for months, then obviously your original nand is fine and should have solved the problem. You were just ftping files over when this happened? Any additional mods done at that time?

#5 thorn

thorn

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:32 PM

I've had this happen on a 512mb Jasper. I used nandpro to erase the nand, then flash with my original.bin, and finally flash xellous (or inject into original.bin). I then flashed my freeboot image from xellous. Hope this helps.

#6 jimbo70

jimbo70

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE(digipimp75 @ Mar 24 2011, 11:33 AM) View Post

I only came across one E71 before. Rebuilt the freeboot image, flashed it back, and it worked. Since you've already done that, I'm not sure. If it was working great for months, then obviously your original nand is fine and should have solved the problem. You were just ftping files over when this happened? Any additional mods done at that time?

No additional mods done, just ftp'd a couple games, same as I've been doing for months.

#7 jimbo70

jimbo70

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE(tk_saturn @ Mar 24 2011, 01:12 AM) View Post

You've already posted this issue before and I offered to sort it for you, which was ignored. You need a new NAND image, and i'm not in the mood to knock one up at the moment.

You're mentioning reflowing the southbridge, great idea if you're looking to trash your console.

E71 = Trivial.

You're correct I did post part of this somewhere else but it was off topic for that thread so I opened a new one here in hopes of someone seeing my, our (being hangover has the same issue), problem & hoping to find someone that knew how to fix it correctly.

You mention needing a new nand image, if you read my whole post you'd probably see this most likely isn't the issue.....

-rebuilt & reflashed freeboot image=e71,
-erased nand & reflashed freeboot back on it=e71,
-flashed orig nand image back on console=e71,

If you notice I mention I did make a new nand image & also flashed back my complete original one that worked fine before jtagging the console. If the console won't boot with the original nand image & no jtag wires=returned to stock, how is making a new modded nand image going to work better then that?!

As for why I mentioned work on the southbridge, well that came from another site. If you try searching google for "e71 error 360 xbox secondary 1013 southbridge reflow" you'll see there's not really a whole lot that come back for results but quite a few of them mention it's a valid fix sometimes. Being I've tried 2 out of the 4 things listed as fixes & they didn't work I figure it may be my last possibility.

I appreciate all feedback on helping to fix this but please read what steps I've already done before telling me to do what I've already done again.

#8 tk_saturn

tk_saturn

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:45 PM

I know exactly what i'm on about in this case. I've fixed 2 of my consoles which had the same issue, as well as knocking up new NANDs for several users on here (for free) to solve their E71 issues.

E71 = The console is unable to load the DashBoard.

Causes:
  • Incomplete or corrupt dashboard files on Partition1 of the HDD (or other MU)
  • Corrupt NAND image.
  • Damaged or Faulty NAND.

If all storage devices are removed and the extended MU formatted with xbrflash, it only leaves a couple of causes.

Fair enough, i'll leave you to your E71.

Edited by tk_saturn, 24 March 2011 - 11:44 PM.

#9 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:07 PM

Highly doubtful it is a southbridge hardware failure. I've had these headaches before, not on Jaspers but Zephrys and Falcons that E71 or Xmas'd...

I would go back to making an XBR image with a completely different imported KV, type 2 of course. I've done this before after a dozen freeboot image failures just to see the xbox boot to a dash instead of Xell.

Take a breather and try something different, but the last thing you want to do is mess with the chips, heat gunning or whatever. Especially with a Jasper. I dont know why Xenons are never a problem to freeboot but all the HDMI 360's are a royal pain and never work the first time for me or when I update to new dash. I wish I had a dollar for every E71, E79 & Xmas error I've seen. I have not tried the latest 12626 freeboot maker.

#10 tk_saturn

tk_saturn

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:24 PM

In theory, if there's an issue at the southbridge end you'll get an E72.

There are ~15 clustered connections on the southbridge which go to the NAND, which is one of the reasons the southbridge is used to inject the JTAG hack. If there is a cold joint on any of those, the traces are damaged, a cold joint on the NAND, missing NAND, dead NAND, missing leg etc you should get a E72 as the southbridge won't be able to communicate properly with the NAND.

If it's getting an E71, then the southbridge should still be able to communicate with the NAND, but can't load the dash. With an E71 you will normally still be able to boot into Xellous and dump the NAND provided the error isn't within the first 50 blocks. You can do that because all connections from southbridge to NAND are complete.

If it is the southbrigde, all you'll need to do to find out is put pressure on the corner where those connections are clustered (provided you've something underneath the southbridge to support it). But it's highly unlikely, and if it were a cold joint it will normally work intermittently before failing completely.

Edited by tk_saturn, 26 March 2011 - 07:53 PM.

#11 hangover

hangover

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:29 AM

Ok, so considering what have already tried what would you recommend we do to fix these ? I have all my dumps, config/kv etc and i have other good falcon nand dumps i can use as a donor. Also considering we are talking jtags here ,whats the problem in 2 consoles sharing the same keys if they are never going online ?

#12 tk_saturn

tk_saturn

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:30 PM

While I know how to fix it and it's very simple or atleast it is on a JTAG. Because you are looking to sell this console I would have to see if the fix persists across subsequent flashes using the different NAND flashers. I won't help someone sell a lemon of a console.

Donor NANDs? I don't know why some people have such obessions which donor NANDs. As far as i'm concerned a console without it's original KV and config is a Lemon and I wouldn't sell one to someone. Same goes for a console with a different 'key', sure it may work but they will likely run into issues when they try to update the console or if there's a KV/CPU Key mismatch. As I told you previously, you could flash Donor NANDs all day and it won't make any difference.

"so called experts" you aren't encouraging people to help you. There are a few people on here who know how solve this.

Edited by tk_saturn, 27 March 2011 - 12:48 PM.

#13 hangover

hangover

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:27 PM

Well arent you the self righteous prick then.

#14 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:33 PM

There is no problem using different KV's or having all your JTAG's running the same KV. Unless you plan on a LAN party, that could be a problem.

I guess all my JTAG's are lemons because they're all running different KV's. I have at least one falcon where the original bin doesn't work anymore, had to use different KV to fix it.

Edited by relaxxx, 27 March 2011 - 01:39 PM.

#15 tk_saturn

tk_saturn

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:16 PM

That's your choice, each to their own. My opinion is what it is.

I personally wouldn't sell a console without it's original KV and full dump of it's original NAND. I could have sold the KV's of those consoles like you do, but I chose not to. If they don't have their original KV, then presumably they also don't come with a dump of their original NAND because that dump would contain the original KV.

What happens when someone goes to update their console? They'll dump the NAND, get the CPU key from Xellous and when they build their new NAND image the CPU key won't match the KV. The official fbBuild requires you use the CPU Key of the console which the KV came from, something they probably aren't going to have. Even if you use the hash checked removed version, it will still cause issues further down the line.

I'm not refering to Xenons, I won't touch a Xenon. A reasonable percentage of those who wanted Xenons would wanted them for lobby hosting anyway, and would have been swapping KV's.

Same goes for the SMC_config, I won't sell a console without it's original SMC_config. Without the original SMC_Config, the console won't have a clue what the temperatures of the CPU/ ED-RAM and CPU are. There are people who have lost their SMC_config by flashing a Donor NAND, and it's not something I would want myself.

What people do with their consoles is their business, but if don't agree with it I don't see why I should spend my time helping them do it.

Edited by tk_saturn, 27 March 2011 - 07:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users