• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bmxfelon420

bmxfelon420

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:40 AM

Hey, I have a friend who works at a game store, and the following situation happened:

They had a 250gb hard drive that they got used. They sold it to the customer. He wanted to transfer things from the old drive. They gave him their cd and transfer cable (the OLD cable and cd, official microsoft) and he took it back. He came back to the store and reported the Xbox shows "no storage device". They call me, i check it out and verify the same thing on my xbox. I took it out of the case. It's a Hitachi drive sad.gif . I hook it up with my little sata to USB thing at work just to see what it shows up as. It shows a 233 some odd gb drive formatted as fat32. If i open xplorer 360 250gb edition, i can see it has three partitions, the first one blank, the other two with some stuff in them. The PC only shows one partition, being that the only blank one is partition 0 i'm assuming this is the case. I tried deleting that fat32 partition from disk management and it still doesnt show up. Here are the ideas i had so far, but i'm not sure of the feasibility of them:

-boot from my usb key, run hddhackr -f. The only problem I can see with this is that its a Hitachi drive and might brick it. Does the format itself overwrite the hdss?

-Flash a HDSS from a hitachi and reformat, using hddhackr. As this is not a WD i was wary of this, but is there another way to put a hdss on? I read that xplorer360 250gb is only to inject/extract from these drives, no other functions work.

-Get an image based backup from one of these hitachi drives and put it back on. For instance, a software like Acronis can take an entire drive and save it to an image, so if i could get one from one of these hitachi drives is it possible to restore it directly in this way? As far as i've seen using this on pcs it pulls the mbr, boot sector, everything.

The three partitions are still present, but if anyone can offer insight on if this is fixable, and/or what determines what shows up on the xbox as a valid storage device i'd appreciate it. I dont need any data off of the drive, i just want it to show up and be usable.

#2 bmxfelon420

bmxfelon420

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:57 AM

Meant to delete this post and it wont let me.

Edited by bmxfelon420, 26 March 2011 - 12:58 AM.

#3 cfventure

cfventure

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:38 PM

In the event anyone else has the same problem in the future what I'm assuming you discovered was that this guy connected the hard drive to his PC and let windows format it. This is unfixable because you cannot flash original hard drives, only WD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users