X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:XBox Modding, Running, Mountain Biking, Tech
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:19 AM

I recently softmodded my sister's xbox. Unfortunately, I forgot about the steep learnign curve that it can entale. This evening she called and described the problem as a green blob on the right and some words on the left. This is the original dash. She thinks her son pressed some buttons to get it to the original dash. I have looked online, but have found nothing about a button combo for this. Does anyone have any idea hwo they can get back to XBMC. I used the XBMC installer 1.43. Thanks ahead of time for any help! I am living 8 hours away, so I hope this is a quick and easy fix.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:24 AM

Which softmod did you use?

#3 brandvegn

brandvegn

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:42 AM

I used the Splinter cell gamesave softmod and then used autoinstaller and after that, I used the XBMC Installer. I can't think of how we could get back since I think it uses a forwarder to the E: drive. COuld it have reset somehow.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:44 AM

WHICH Splinter Cell gamesave softmod? There are lots of them.....

Edited by Heimdall, 27 March 2011 - 02:44 AM.

#5 brandvegn

brandvegn

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:54 AM

www.XS Filter -/html/xbox-tutorials-183.html

I modified an xbox controller and created an Action Replay. Then used the savegame exploit which loaded a SID installer (an older one). I then used Auto Installer to format and set up a new hard drive. It did put a newwer version of SID on as well. I am thinking maybe she can just buy Splinter Cell and I can try to talk her through, but I would rather solve the problem so it won't happen again.

Sorry. I forgot they disabled links. that is the ex-box headquarters tutorial.

Edited by brandvegn, 27 March 2011 - 02:59 AM.

#6 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:00 AM

You solve the underlying problem by not using SID, but using Krayzie 1.1.1 instead.

Easy solution: use Splinter Cell to reinstall SID (as the gamesave is on there), then grab HeXEn 0.99B11-22, burn it to DVD-R, and use that to upgrade the softmod to Krayzie 1.1.1.

#7 brandvegn

brandvegn

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:03 AM

I am going to do that right now. Will tell you how it goes.

#8 brandvegn

brandvegn

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:09 PM

OK. Trying to do this remote, but I might just have to suck it up and have her send it back. We got back to the Linux save and then to UNleashX screen. However, the screen has changed to only having a few options. IPB Image

I had her try and take out the Splinter Cell disc and when she did, it rebooted. This happened 3 times. Then I had her go to Remove Softmod-->Recovery Disc option and told her to choose the latest dashboard and when asking for a disc, using the Hexen disc. I had read that this was how I was supposed to do it. Black Screen for over 10 minutes.

I am having her send me the xbox back and am going to buy a MU so that at least she will have the tools there if this were to happen again. Is there a tutorial or a troubleshooter that I am missing. I have found a couple, but they usually end up saying, download Krayzie, reinstall softmod. I think there might be a piece of information I am missing here.

#9 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:45 PM

Wait for Heimdall or one of the other experts here to help you out before doing anything rash.

My own observations: if that's the top of the menu it's a weird layout for, what looks like and from the sound of it, is an installer dash. Never seen one with options like that useful Eeprom to MU save facility and odd Specify Fonts. But then I'm used to various SID versions not whatever this is.

However, what should be correct is that if you're getting to this installer dash the SC game save exploit must still be on the HDD and then it would be a fair bet that your main installer save is there too.

Are you sure other important options, like Install Softmod, aren't just hidden? Try scrolling the main menu up or down to see if there's more, I've a feeling there will be.

#10 spliff721

spliff721

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:19 PM

the screen pictured above means that the softmod is still installed and working, it is just not booting to a modded dash. when on that screen, plug the xbox into your router and it will give you an IP address and FTP access. from that point, it is a matter of figuring out where your dash boots from and replacing it. as i dont think you have stated spacificaly what mod you have on it, i can not help you with that part, and to be honest, i have very little experience with SID.

on an alternate note, you can FTP the latest Krayzies 1.1.1 gamesaves into the E/UDATA and then remove the softmod and remod it with splinter cell. should you choose to go this route, when choosing to remove the softmod, it will look for a clean copy of M$ dash in E/backup/Cdrive. if you do not have a backup located there, make one. you can then take the box back to retail then remod.

Heimdall may have different advise. but this is what i did to fix when i ran into this screen

#11 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:45 PM

So you're saying those menu options are all there is?

There's no File Explorer and no Shutdown option both of which I thought would be essential features of any dash, installer or softmod. Why would anyone design a dash for any purpose that didn't at least offer Shutdown? Ergo the menu show is only partial. I know from my own experience that they're not always laid out in what I would call a logical or safe order and use of different or edited skins can complicate the matter further.

I just don't get what that screen shot is a picture of if not just an install dash and if so doesn't mean the softmod is still there? It surely just means the Splinter Cell exploit save is still present. The MS dash is now the main dash and apparently normal and the LED is also reported as being green. Doesn't that all suggest that the softmod isn't intact any longer?

My guess and it is just a guess is that the SID used was dual boot with installer dash on tray out and somebody clicked on Restore MS dash or some similar option and that's exactly what has happened.

What would be helpful is to know whether the Spilinter Cell exploit and installer game saves are still there. If the MS dash is working then that would be a good start.

#12 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:55 PM

The easiest solution is to load the gamesave, then use FTP to install a Kingroach NDURE 3.1 softmod. The Kingroach manual has all the details of how to build a complete softmod file set on top of a clean copy of the stock 5960 C MS Dash.

#13 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:23 AM

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Apr 21 2011, 12:45 AM) View Post

So you're saying those menu options are all there is?

I just don't get what that screen shot is a picture of if not just an install dash and if so doesn't mean the softmod is still there?
Yes, in whole or in part.

Some softmod installers show this screen when the installer has been triggered again (redundantly) after a softmod has already been installed. This menu is here to allow you to uninstall, or temporarily disable the installed softmod, or make changes to it, and that's it. It isn't meant to be full featured like the standard menu that would be shown after a normal boot.

Think of it as like an administrator menu.

#14 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:58 PM

Thanks for the explanation.

So it's a sort of safety net dash which stops you accidentally re-installing over an existing softmod, broken or not, to prevent you stuffing things up further.

But why no File Explorer? Another 'safety' feature I suppose.

Re: the OP's problem. The advice Heimdall gave weeks ago was and still is the easiest solution in these particular circumstances.

If the SC/SID saves are on the HDD, run the game to get the dash shown. Click on Remove Softmod and then simply reinstall it. After that it's up to you whether you stick with the SID set-up chosen but standard recommended practice here now is to use Hexen. Whatever you do selecting a boot option with Shadow C should mean problems like this are less likely to occur in the future.

#15 brandvegn

brandvegn

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:38 PM

I had her send it back to me and I will look into it further. Unfortunately, my sister knows zero about ftping, etc. and when she turned it back on yesterday it stuck on the flubber initialization screen. I have a backup of both the clean and modded version of her HD as well as the old hard drive. So really it has gone beyond the scope of her capabilities. If it is truly stuck at the flubber screen, I am planning on putting the old drive back in, modding it using Hexxen 0.99 and then doing a redo. If it was just a fluke (since I could not really see what was going on since she is 6 hours away by car), I will reinstall SID, then use that to install Krazies or Kingroach (either is acceptable). If this happens, does this mean I have to redo the entire mod since I will have to format G, or is there a way around this? I already have done this twice, since I never created a G drive (I for some reason thought the F corruption had been fixed when formatting since 2004 when I last did a mod via chip) and obviously hilarity and hours of WTF ensued the first install. The second go was not a winner because of SID. I almost should think I should have ponied up for a modchip, but those are not easy to come by any longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users