• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 niabi

niabi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:02 AM

Ok this is a weird one I tried searching and no luck so hoping some one can help me

I was in my office Jtaggin a falcon everything when great, used Boxxdr method, booted to xell, got my CPU key, my KV, and my full nand, I didn't checked for bad blocks ( it totally slipped my mind) anyways created free60 using bestpig, flashed it, and it worked perfectly, booted into the dash completed the wizard, played a few games for a little while

So I removed the LPT controller, put the case back together, again booted and played a few games, installed dashlaunch, success, it rebooted into my Freestyle, then decided to turn it off and go home and keep playing with my new jtag.

Now at home... e79, only e79 every time...

I took the case back off in case maybe it was touching the metal or something, but I always use hot glue to kep the solder back in place and it also works to keep it from touching, but still nothing, rechecked the wires, still e79, any idea what can be wrong?

Id hate to re-solder the LPT cables again... so any idea why the e79 appeared AFTER everything was working ?

I know that e79 errors usually mean bad soldering, but why did it worked perfectly before?

should I remove the jtag and solder it again before I install the LPT again? or any other ideas on what to check ? uhh.gif

Thanks

Edited by niabi, 27 March 2011 - 06:14 AM.

#2 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:49 PM

Did you remember to change your smc.bin to match your wiring?

#3 red_ring_of_box

red_ring_of_box

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE(AZImmortal @ Mar 27 2011, 11:49 AM) View Post

Did you remember to change your smc.bin to match your wiring?

If that was the case wouldn't he have gotten E79 right away, instead of when he got home? Not trying to be a dick, just wondering if that can happen now as I haven't done a lot of nand flashing recently.

To the OP I have a falcon jtag as well, and I did continually get E79, and it was because of bad soldering on some of the points. One of them could have even come loose during your transit home, unlikely but its possible. Your best bet would be to check the connections with a multimeter to make sure everything is alright.

Other than that idk as I have never heard of bad blocks giving an E79 error, and that doesn't seem to be the case as the 360 booted up fine before. Hope this helps, and I hope you get it fixed. smile.gif

#4 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE(red_ring_of_box @ Mar 27 2011, 08:07 AM) View Post

If that was the case wouldn't he have gotten E79 right away, instead of when he got home? Not trying to be a dick, just wondering if that can happen now as I haven't done a lot of nand flashing recently.

I don't know the technicalities of it (and I don't even remember many details about it because I've never done this myself), but if I remember correctly, the 360 retains the old smc for a while until power is cut to it for a period of time. In this case, the "old" smc would be the correct AUD_CLAMP smc that was used in Xell/Xellous, and then I'm guessing that when he created freeBOOT, he forgot to include the correct smc. After power was cut while he was driving home, the 360 "forgot" the correct smc and is trying to boot off the new one instead.

#5 niabi

niabi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE(AZImmortal @ Mar 27 2011, 10:23 AM) View Post

I don't know the technicalities of it (and I don't even remember many details about it because I've never done this myself), but if I remember correctly, the 360 retains the old smc for a while until power is cut to it for a period of time. In this case, the "old" smc would be the correct AUD_CLAMP smc that was used in Xell/Xellous, and then I'm guessing that when he created freeBOOT, he forgot to include the correct smc. After power was cut while he was driving home, the 360 "forgot" the correct smc and is trying to boot off the new one instead.

you know what... that actually makes some sense and now that I think about it, it seems to be the case I don't think I changed anything on bestpig to change SMC I assumed it was already there... this is my third jtag one Xenon and 1 falcon before this one, but this is the first time I use bestpig

thanks all for the replies, going to re-solder the LPT and will keep you posted

#6 RRoD420

RRoD420

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:31 PM

Solution:

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=728871

I had the same problem, syntax taught me the southbridge keeps smc config until power is cut. You're flashing the wrong smc. See my earlier post linked above.

#7 tk_saturn

tk_saturn

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:47 PM

While it's likely to be the cause, it's far from certain.

QUOTE(niabi @ Mar 27 2011, 06:02 AM) View Post

So I removed the LPT controller, put the case back together, again booted and played a few games, installed dashlaunch, success, it rebooted into my Freestyle, then decided to turn it off and go home and keep playing with my new jtag.resisters

I would assume most people would remove the power from the console to remove the LPT lead and reassemble the case. Of course, i've no idea if that was what he did.

#8 red_ring_of_box

red_ring_of_box

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE(AZImmortal @ Mar 27 2011, 12:23 PM) View Post

Ya I think your right, I always cut the power from my 360 after flashing a new SMC, I think I was thinking of when XBR first came out and I flashed my encrypted smc instead of my decrypted one, giving me an instant E79. Oh well lol. Though tk does bring up a good point.

Niabi was the console ever powered down after flashing? Thats extremely odd that you used, what I assume was the stock smc, and the jtag hack still worked blink.gif.

If I am reading correctly, when following Boxxdr's method you did flash the modded smc that makes the jtag hack work, correct?

If all else as I said check your wiring.

#9 niabi

niabi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE(red_ring_of_box @ Mar 27 2011, 01:55 PM) View Post

Ya I think your right, I always cut the power from my 360 after flashing a new SMC, I think I was thinking of when XBR first came out and I flashed my encrypted smc instead of my decrypted one, giving me an instant E79. Oh well lol. Though tk does bring up a good point.

Niabi was the console ever powered down after flashing? Thats extremely odd that you used, what I assume was the stock smc, and the jtag hack still worked blink.gif.

If I am reading correctly, when following Boxxdr's method you did flash the modded smc that makes the jtag hack work, correct?

If all else as I said check your wiring.

I did updated my SMC on Xell.bin, so yes, I flashed the modded smc, but not on bestpig, I missed the part where I was suppose to copy smc.bin to the custom folder, and that was the problem smile.gif it is all working now... smile.gif

#10 warbeast

warbeast

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:20 AM

QUOTE(tk_saturn @ Mar 27 2011, 08:47 PM) View Post

While it's likely to be the cause, it's far from certain.
I would assume most people would remove the power from the console to remove the LPT lead and reassemble the case. Of course, i've no idea if that was what he did.

it can take some time for the smc to clear when unpluged ive done it myself when updating and using old smc backup content with new jtag wiring! most people say 30secs but im sure it would have taken me longer then that to reassemble..

#11 red_ring_of_box

red_ring_of_box

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE(niabi @ Mar 27 2011, 06:31 PM) View Post

I did updated my SMC on Xell.bin, so yes, I flashed the modded smc, but not on bestpig, I missed the part where I was suppose to copy smc.bin to the custom folder, and that was the problem smile.gif it is all working now... smile.gif

Ah, well glad it all worked out for you, enjoy your homebrew. smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users