• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 steenpat

steenpat

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:45 AM

I have a unit that displays the E74 error. I'm fairly certain this is because the A/V connector is bad since I had a hard time wiggling the HDMI cable into place. I managed to finagle it in there but the pins were noticeably bent on the female end and some missing.

I attempted to desolder the pins to the video port but it seems next to impossible. I also have a hot-air rework station which I'm next going to attempt to use to remove the port. Anyone have any advice or have done this before?

Edited by steenpat, 28 March 2011 - 01:00 AM.

#2 Avinitlarge

Avinitlarge

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:25 AM

Ive got a scrap mobo that I use fro practicing on. Ive not tried the AV port yet but I would say desolder the earth/shield points using desoldering braid. Use a soldering torch, heatgun or rework station on the small pins. Ive not tried this so don't take my word for it

#3 hangover

hangover

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:58 AM

Those sockets are on there pretty good, i over cooked a jtag'd xenon board in the oven and killed the plastic socket, rest of the board is good so i tried my soldering iron turned right up to 450c and couldnt budge it.
Carefully directed heatgun might do the trick.

#4 Avinitlarge

Avinitlarge

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:04 PM

Ive just had a go at one. I did manage to remove it, No damage the and of the PCB or surrounding components. I think a heat gun may melt the socket though. Its not an easy job to do, very slow and very steady. Front USB's came off pretty easy though

#5 epi4561

epi4561

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE(Avinitlarge @ Mar 31 2011, 03:04 PM) View Post

Ive just had a go at one. I did manage to remove it, No damage the and of the PCB or surrounding components. I think a heat gun may melt the socket though. Its not an easy job to do, very slow and very steady. Front USB's came off pretty easy though

What did you do to get it off? did you use a soldering iron? if so, what are the specs of the iron you used? I'm just curious, because my soldering iron doesn't seem to make a difference. I think it's a rather low powered iron though. maybe I'll upgrade to a bigger one.

thx-epi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users