• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:41 PM

More about New Disc Format (xgd3) and C4Eva Comments
Posted by XanTium | March 30 12:41 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From eurogamer.net:

A highly placed development source has confirmed to Digital Foundry that the new disc format being beta tested in a new dashboard upgrade adds 1GB to the storage of Xbox 360 game discs.

The maximum space allocated to game data on the current disc format is just 6.8GB out of a maximum of 7.95GB on a standard dual layer DVD, with over 1GB dedicated to a DVD-Video partition that also contained anti-piracy security sectors. It seems that this video partition has either been drastically reduced or omitted completely in the new format Microsoft is looking to roll-out.

Beta testers of the new dashboard get a free copy of Halo: Reach once they are accepted into the new preview programme. We can assume that this isn't just a generous gift on Microsoft's part - more likely it is a disc pressed using the new format, and Microsoft is looking for data on performance on as many different systems as it can.

From C4Eva on EFnet via c4evaspeaks.com:

[Z****] so what do u think about new disc format [http://c4evaspeaks.c...-dash-preview]?
[c4eva-] MS will introduce xgd3 this will add more ap checks, cvi (content integerity) checks, increase the disc size and adds a new layer for protection issues all in the 20500 sdk! bring it on! :)
[J*****] C4 will this effect the launch of Slim lt? will it be delayed for some reason?
[c4eva-] j*****:No
[c4eva-] will know more once we get one of these new discs!

#2 DARKFiB3R

DARKFiB3R

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:48 PM

Good news all round then smile.gif

#3 blastagator

blastagator

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE(DARKFiB3R @ Mar 30 2011, 01:48 PM) View Post

Good news all round then smile.gif

Isn't really good or bad until C4 gets a disc and tells us if it is good or bad.

#4 DARKFiB3R

DARKFiB3R

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:26 PM

More space on the disc = good news
c4eva up for the challenge = good news

IPB Image

fun times.

#5 tomgreen99200

tomgreen99200

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:29 PM

Interesting stuff. Have faith in C4Eva and company, they have defeated countless obstacles before. This won't be any different. Considering he is aware xgd3 I am confident he has already started brainstorming solutions.

#6 danthaman673

danthaman673

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:Modding and Gaming 24/7
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:39 PM

New layer is a big-deal though, The fact they're devoting less space to it speaks to their confidence in it (new tech) remaining secure (at least for a while) Another never-ending parade of patches (Yay!)

They should be content with the system as is (ppl can do backups and M$ aint loosing that much $$$ on it - except maybe $$ wasted on new ap) (The added 1gb that should have been there from the start, will save them some $$ in not having to make 2 disc sets as often; twice the cost, twice the weight to ship etc..)

They just can't help themselves can they? If only they sought to embrace the mod-scene, like they said they had planned to do initially before the 360 was unveiled Ahh well I guess someone has to keep all us modders in biness eh? Looks like M$ are taking the same approach the US gov takes on the war on drugs ... I can only hope it works out the same (for us legit modders, that is .. :-)

The harder they fight it, the more the other side profits in a war that can never be won (at least not by Goliath ) and inevitably leaves the product consumers worse off as they're costs rise to finance the war they have no interest in.

Bring it on indeed wink.gif

Edited by danthaman673, 30 March 2011 - 07:56 PM.

#7 DaShiZNiT

DaShiZNiT

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE(DARKFiB3R @ Mar 30 2011, 01:26 PM) View Post

More space on the disc = good news
c4eva up for the challenge = good news

IPB Image

fun times.

Everything went better than expected. wink.gif

#8 robo989

robo989

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE(danthaman673 @ Mar 30 2011, 07:39 PM) View Post

New layer is a big-deal though, The fact they're devoting less space to it speaks to their confidence in it (new tech) remaining secure (at least for a while) Another never-ending parade of patches (Yay!)

They should be content with the system as is (ppl can do backups and M$ aint loosing that much $$$ on it - except maybe $$ wasted on new ap) (The added 1gb that should have been there from the start, will save them some $$ in not having to make 2 disc sets as often; twice the cost, twice the weight to ship etc..)

They just can't help themselves can they? If only they sought to embrace the mod-scene, like they said they had planned to do initially before the 360 was unveiled Ahh well I guess someone has to keep all us modders in biness eh? Looks like M$ are taking the same approach the US gov takes on the war on drugs ... I can only hope it works out the same (for us legit modders, that is .. :-)
The harder they fight it, the more the other side profits in a war that can never be won (at least not by Goliath ) and inevitably leaves the product consumers worse off as they're costs rise to finance the war they have no interest in.
Bring it on indeed wink.gif

Your first paragraph is absolute nonsense. Please don't peddle bullshit. Your tone is quite convincing and stupid people will be taken in and then peddle the bullshit further.

There is no "new layer", not a physical one anyway.
Space!!!?? What's that got to do with anything?
I've got a headache just trying to being putting you straight, so I won't smile.gif

#9 Anth

Anth

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE(robo989 @ Mar 30 2011, 08:50 PM) View Post

Your first paragraph is absolute nonsense. Please don't peddle bullshit. Your tone is quite convincing and stupid people will be taken in and then peddle the bullshit further.

I've got a headache just trying to being putting you straight, so I won't smile.gif

It was pretty clear he did not mean a physical layer.

And regarding tone can you tone down your aggression/arrogance in your posts.

#10 readmore

readmore

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE(robo989 @ Mar 30 2011, 08:50 PM) View Post

Wow dude just calm down, no need to get angry right off the get go. I am picturing you sweeping books and paper off your desk, flipping chairs, overturning children.. "BBRRAAA THESE POSTS MAKE HULK ANGRY!"

I'm posting this in a joking way, but seriously don't be such a rage-nerd.

In regards to the news.... I'm thinking that MAYBE just maybe this is not intended to be strictly a counter pirate measure.. in fact, piracy may be an after-thought to this upgrade. Remember when the Xbox 360 first came out and EPIC basically convinced MS to add RAM to the system? I have a feeling that Gears 3, and EPIC, may be the real force behind this change in format (and possibly 343 Studios as well). I could be wrong of course but adding more space to a disc seems less like they had security in mind and more like feedback from Devs or Publishers.

Oh and yes I am sure there "might" be a change in security (I really know nothing about it) but I seriously doubt it will be a problem for you folks with modded systems. I'm pretty sure they'll crack this in a day or so once it rolls out. In fact I bet someone from MS is feeding code to the community as I type.

Edited by readmore, 30 March 2011 - 10:19 PM.

#11 tk_saturn

tk_saturn

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:48 PM

robo989's post may come across as a rant, but here's refering to several posts such as
QUOTE(danthaman673 @ Mar 27 2011, 11:52 PM) View Post

PS: HDMI is not the only differnce btwn falcon and Opus: Opus also uses the same 95nm CPU as Xenon, thus contributing to my earlier point about it being an earlier emergence than Falcon.

That may create misinformation. From his previous posts, it's quite possible to think that danthaman673 was refering to a new physical layer on the disc. robo989 is getting used to correcting his posts, so he would have assumed that.

danthaman673's post was a little bit of a rant at MS too, I don't think you can blame Microsoft for this. Microsoft are tame compared to Sony. You see people on forums who (who are pirating) going f*ck Microsoft etc over things like this, it's lame.

Edited by tk_saturn, 30 March 2011 - 11:02 PM.

#12 Reaper527

Reaper527

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,498 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:03 PM

i wonder how they are going to go about launching these discs to the public.

specifically, as it stands now, new games contain the dashboard they require on the game disc. this new game disc probably won't be readable by the 360 until the dashboard is installed.

for the small population that doesn't connect to live for dash updates, it will be interesting to see how they address this catch 22.

#13 Slateboard

Slateboard

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:04 PM

So will anyone be donating their Disc to the cause if they get one?

#14 tk_saturn

tk_saturn

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE(Reaper527 @ Mar 30 2011, 11:03 PM) View Post

i wonder how they are going to go about launching these discs to the public.

specifically, as it stands now, new games contain the dashboard they require on the game disc. this new game disc probably won't be readable by the 360 until the dashboard is installed.

for the small population that doesn't connect to live for dash updates, it will be interesting to see how they address this catch 22.

There's no way they would do this if the update on these new discs would't update a console on an older dashboard. They would get so many complaints from people buying games and not being able to play them.

#15 mrdude2478

mrdude2478

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:12 PM

My guess is that the new format will be able to be dumped easily, especially for people with jtagged boxes.

I mean usually a new dash comes out, then soon after a new jtag rebooter comes out. At this point the game can be dumped or turned into a GOD by the jtagged 360.

If that was the case - the full game should be able to be dumped by the 360 and then a modified layer break in clonecd (.dvd file) will only need to be set.

PS. that's just me thinking to myself, but time will tell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users