• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 grapedrink

grapedrink

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:00 AM

Hello, I'm Grapedrink. Hopefully this is the right section of the forum.

I have recently paid someone to softmod my Xbox. It went fine. Only problem was that my XBOX is kinda old and it didn't really read the DVD+R's with my game on it very well. I ended up copying that onto the hard drive. Problem solved. Sadly, I tried to burn a bunch of old console emulators onto the hard drive today because the XBOX had a hard time reading that as well. Well, the copying process was taking forever, so I opened up the disk drive in the middle of the process and took out the DVD. The screen stated some files failed to copy, press x to retry, press y to cancel. I put the disk back in, retried, and it failed. Not surprising since the DVD reader usually can not read the DVD+R unless I try multiple times (It took about an hour successfully copying my first disk. Anyway, I got out of the "dvdtoxbox" screen, and tried to once more put the disk onto the hard drive. Unfortunately, about 1 gigabyte worth of stuff transferred from the previous attempt, and there wasn't enough space to copy the disk. I cancelled, took the disk out, turned off the Xbox, and turned it back on to play the other game that I successfully burned onto the hard drive the other week. Unfortunately, it does not load past the XBOX logo. Retail games will load, however.

I'm really unfamiliar with the technical aspects of the softmod plus I don't have things like a memory card, Splinter Cell, not sure what FTP is, etc. I paid someone to do it for me. Please lay knowledge on me. I would love to play my Marvel vs. Capcom that's on the hard drive right now. I am an eager listener. jester.gif pop.gif

Edited by grapedrink, 31 March 2011 - 12:22 AM.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:07 AM

The newbie section would probably have been more appropriate.........

You don't burn games onto the hard drive, you copy them to the hard drive. You burn DVDs.

The Xbox rarely reads DVD+R - a simple search would reveal that you should use DVD-R for best results.

Which drive were you copying the game to - C or E?

What colour was the LED when the Xbox was working? What colour is it now?

Edited by Heimdall, 31 March 2011 - 12:08 AM.

#3 grapedrink

grapedrink

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:29 AM

Yes, I'm aware of the DVD-R being ideal, unfortunately at the time the DVD+R was the only type of disk the guy had for me to copy the .iso from my flash drive.

I was copying the emulators to my E drive (the 4.8-ish gigabyte sized one), I believe. The softmod used my C drive.

The color of the LED when the softmod was working and now when it doesn't load is green.

Thanks

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Mar 30 2011, 03:07 PM) View Post

The newbie section would probably have been more appropriate.........

You don't burn games onto the hard drive, you copy them to the hard drive. You burn DVDs.

The Xbox rarely reads DVD+R - a simple search would reveal that you should use DVD-R for best results.

Which drive were you copying the game to - C or E?

What colour was the LED when the Xbox was working? What colour is it now?

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:35 AM

If the LED was always green then the person who softmodded your Xbox installed a really old and very poor softmod. Take it back and ask him to install Krayzie 1.1.1.

FYI, a good softmod uses C and E, with the dash on E, and has shadow C to protect the actual softmod files on C.

And start buying games instead of pirating them.

#5 grapedrink

grapedrink

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Mar 30 2011, 04:35 PM) View Post

If the LED was always green then the person who softmodded your Xbox installed a really old and very poor softmod. Take it back and ask him to install Krayzie 1.1.1.

FYI, a good softmod uses C and E, with the dash on E, and has shadow C to protect the actual softmod files on C.

And start buying games instead of pirating them.

From what I understand, he's really new on softmodding as well. It seemed to work okay until I failed the DVD copying today. Does the XBOX need to be softmodded again to play the emulators/Marvel vs. Capcom and such?

#6 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:02 AM

Yes, it's quite clear that you paid someone with no clue about softmodding to mod your Xbox.

You could try grabbing a copy of HeXEn 0.99B11-22, burn it to DVD-R, and use it to install Krayzie 1.1.1. If HeXEn boots then you are fine, if not then your Xbox needs to be remodded from scratch.

Edited by Heimdall, 31 March 2011 - 01:03 AM.

#7 grapedrink

grapedrink

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:19 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Mar 30 2011, 05:02 PM) View Post

Yes, it's quite clear that you paid someone with no clue about softmodding to mod your Xbox.

You could try grabbing a copy of HeXEn 0.99B11-22, burn it to DVD-R, and use it to install Krayzie 1.1.1. If HeXEn boots then you are fine, if not then your Xbox needs to be remodded from scratch.

Shoot, ok thanks. Loss of $10 I guess sad.gif.

#8 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:27 AM

Give HeXEn a try. In spite of the poor softmod there's no logical reason why the basic softmod files shouldn't still be on the C partition given that all you were doing was ripping games to the E partition, so HeXEn should boot and you'll be able to update to Krayzie 1.1.1. Since HeXEn is free, and you will end up with a softmodded Xbox if it works, it maybe wasn't a complete waste of $10.

And please stop quoting every post in your reply - it's totally unnecessary. smile.gif

Edited by Heimdall, 31 March 2011 - 01:29 AM.

#9 grapedrink

grapedrink

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:42 AM

Ok, I'll give that a try! Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users