• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 xNiTRo

xNiTRo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:36 AM

I know there's no "L3" button on the Xbox controller, but I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about. When I click the left thumbstick, I can't sprint in COD or hustle in NHL...

I don't want to replace this controller, because the newer xbox controllers have awful analog sticks... is there anyway I can fix this issue?

Edited by xNiTRo, 01 April 2011 - 07:41 AM.

#2 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:43 AM

You could always replace the mechanism, though it would take soldering skills. I've seen several products like this or this available. (I don't endorse these sites as I know nothing about them. I linked them because they were the first examples I found.)

You can likely find similar parts on eBay.

#3 xNiTRo

xNiTRo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE(Aldanga @ Apr 1 2011, 02:43 AM) View Post

You could always replace the mechanism, though it would take soldering skills. I've seen several products like this or this available. (I don't endorse these sites as I know nothing about them. I linked them because they were the first examples I found.)

You can likely find similar parts on eBay.

Thanks for the response, I might consider buying one.. but I have two new controllers (all three are wired) but the analog sticks aren't the greatest.

I don't know how to explain it... in NHL, I can turn quicker and skate more faster with my older controller (to skate, you hold up on the left thumbstick) however on the newer controllers, you skate slower on the newer controllers.

Is there anyway to make the analog sticks more sensitive/better?

#4 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:35 AM

LSC is what I call the L3 counterpart, for Left Stick Click.

It could be the button has finally worn out and replacing the entire stick is the best option there, or if it was dropped/thrown the board could be cracked and causing the problem, so some trace repair would be needed.

If the Stick is bad don't get some 3rd party knock off, get one that belongs in there. Ever notice that most 3rd party controller's Analog sticks aren't the greatest? that's why. The actual Sticks are made by Alps and cost around $8 a pop before shipping (when they're in stock) - http://www.mouser.co.....KNkNMXy5dhhA= but if you need to replace one get a new one, or at least one from another 360 controller. All 360 controllers use the same Sticks, the stick caps are different on some, Gray, Black, new Gray, but the actual Stick is the same on all of them.

The problem you have with your 'slow' controllers can be fixed with a T8/Philips driver (depending on the controller), some sandpaper and a bit of elbow grease. Just take them apart and sand the opening in the top half of the shell for the Stick, so it's a tiny bit larger, that's it. This way it can move a little bit farther than what it could before and will work like it's supposed too, and it doesn't take much at all really.

#5 xNiTRo

xNiTRo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE(RDC @ Apr 1 2011, 03:35 AM) View Post

LSC is what I call the L3 counterpart, for Left Stick Click.

It could be the button has finally worn out and replacing the entire stick is the best option there, or if it was dropped/thrown the board could be cracked and causing the problem, so some trace repair would be needed.

If the Stick is bad don't get some 3rd party knock off, get one that belongs in there. Ever notice that most 3rd party controller's Analog sticks aren't the greatest? that's why. The actual Sticks are made by Alps and cost around $8 a pop before shipping (when they're in stock) - http://www.mouser.co.....KNkNMXy5dhhA= but if you need to replace one get a new one, or at least one from another 360 controller. All 360 controllers use the same Sticks, the stick caps are different on some, Gray, Black, new Gray, but the actual Stick is the same on all of them.

The problem you have with your 'slow' controllers can be fixed with a T8/Philips driver (depending on the controller), some sandpaper and a bit of elbow grease. Just take them apart and sand the opening in the top half of the shell for the Stick, so it's a tiny bit larger, that's it. This way it can move a little bit farther than what it could before and will work like it's supposed too, and it doesn't take much at all really.

Sounds like I do have a "slow" controller, but is that the case with all new controllers? All the newer one's I have tried using (so far, 5) were all slow.. the analog sticks were awful.

It could be that the mechanism ( http://www.etech.com...controller.html ) is different on the newer controllers.

The PS3 analog sticks are by far the best I have ever used.

Looks like I will sand the area of the stick. Why would I need elbow grease for though? lol sry, I'm not familiar with this kinda stuff..

Thanks for the reply!

Edited by xNiTRo, 01 April 2011 - 10:00 AM.

#6 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:56 PM

Some are worse than others, or it's the game that's more picky about the input from the controller is all. While they don't work as good in that game, they may work exactly the same in some other one.

The sticks are the same in all of them, and have been since they started making them. They're the same sticks as what are in the original XBOX controllers as well.

Elbow grease means manual labor, work.

Edited by RDC, 01 April 2011 - 12:58 PM.

#7 dopesun

dopesun

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE(xNiTRo @ Apr 1 2011, 03:51 AM) View Post

It could be that the mechanism ( http://www.etech.com...controller.html ) is different on the newer controllers.

Those are the knock offs you dont want them. ive tried them out. they work well but the movement on them are very tight. Here is a slightly cheaper source for the alps mechanisms. RKJXP1224002

#8 bamarquez226

bamarquez226

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE(dopesun @ Apr 1 2011, 05:14 AM) View Post

Those are the knock offs you dont want them. ive tried them out. they work well but the movement on them are very tight. Here is a slightly cheaper source for the alps mechanisms. RKJXP1224002

Whoa, that's hecka cheaper than mouser. Sorry to be skeptical, but are those sticks the real deal?

And the Y-axis "cage" wasn't it made of copper before?

#9 dopesun

dopesun

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:46 AM

QUOTE(bamarquez226 @ Apr 1 2011, 01:21 PM) View Post

Whoa, that's hecka cheaper than mouser. Sorry to be skeptical, but are those sticks the real deal?

And the Y-axis "cage" wasn't it made of copper before?

they are legit. bought 20 of em myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users