• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 strapmonkey

strapmonkey

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:32 AM

Just got done doing it. You'll need the IDE drive and a 44-pin female to 22-pin SATA adapter (3 to 12 dollars US, depending on source).

Other than that, SOP for this hack. Not sure if anyone is interested, but if, like me, you can afford a $12 dongle, but not a $49 hard drive and, again like me, you happen to have a WD Scorpio IDE drive lying around (250 GB in this case), it's worth a shot.

You may have to file down the hard drive case around the pins before the adapter will fit, depending on which adapter you wind up with. This hack fits in a Lian Li case, I can't speak for the original case fat or slim, but the adapter adds maybe 5mm to the ass end of the drive.

#2 strapmonkey

strapmonkey

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:35 PM

Probably should've mentioned the drive is a 250GB model.

I've played Doom 3, CoD 3, and loaded Halo ODST to the drive and then played ODST, all without a hitch. As far as I can tell, the only thing lost in transition were the avatar images. I can live with that.

I have a Thermalright SLK-900U coming in the mail tomorrow or the next day, when I tear down the case to install it to the CPU, I'll snap a pick of the drive and post. As well as a pic of the Thermalright XP-90 I modded to fit the GPU and the aforementioned SLK on the CPU (off topic, I know).

#3 strapmonkey

strapmonkey

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:27 PM

Three days now, no problems with this implementation. Halo 3 and ODST gave me no end of problems when I ran them from the DVD and with the original (and I do mean "original", think manufactured ca. 2005) Hitachi drive; at one point ODST even bricked my system for several hours, rendering the HD unreadable. I installed both Halo 3 and ODST to the WD BEVE, and have played both through with no hiccups whatsoever.

Kudos to everyone that coded, hex-edited and wrote all the tutorials for this process. Tried to find a MS branded 250 GB "old school" hard drive lately? They're getting hard to come by. And still spendy as hell when you do find them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users