• 820 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE(Grim187 @ Apr 3 2011, 11:00 PM) View Post

i had almost given up hope.

how inspiring.

Thanks!

plus one that !!!
would be the icing on the 360 cake would that smile.gif
i would finally move the xbox, and put the 360 in the front room !!

smile.gif

#17 bengrimsy

bengrimsy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:01 AM

Cool, now maybe one day people can finally stop complaining about the lack of a homebrew media player smile.gif Personally, I would never risk the wear and tear on a 360 to use it as a media center, but I'm sure many will find this useful.

#18 syntaxerror329

syntaxerror329

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking, Downhill Skiing, Xbox Mod Chips, Xbox Repair, Wiikey, ARGON, D2pro, XBOX360,
  • 360 version:v3.1 (opus)

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:43 AM

QUOTE(bengrimsy @ Apr 3 2011, 08:01 PM) View Post

Personally, I would never risk the wear and tear on a 360 to use it as a media center, but I'm sure many will find this useful.

It's pretty sad that the 360 fails so often that people have to decide what uses are most worthwhile for it and then fell the need to savor every moment of it. blink.gif

#19 Tag234

Tag234

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:19 AM

this is great!!! Finally something new for JTAGs... I had also almost lost hope. This deserves donations

#20 brandvegn

brandvegn

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:XBox Modding, Running, Mountain Biking, Tech
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE(bengrimsy @ Apr 4 2011, 01:01 AM) View Post

Cool, now maybe one day people can finally stop complaining about the lack of a homebrew media player smile.gif Personally, I would never risk the wear and tear on a 360 to use it as a media center, but I'm sure many will find this useful.

I don't think this would cause as much wear and tear as a game. No polygons, just video running at a higher resolution. I am perfectly happy with my xbmc and xbox on my little 37" LCD screen using avi files, but this is going somewhere. Tell me when the "XBMP" is up and running and then I will start moving my xbox1 into the back room.

#21 rikcrx

rikcrx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:07 AM

YES! biggrin.gif

I'm not fussed on another dashboard like XBMC this time round I'm happy for this to be integrated into Freestyle, although some of the skins people come up with can be cool

#22 DuggyUK

DuggyUK

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:08 PM

What a REALLY bad idea... 360's are flakey enough h/w wise. why port a media player that might heat up the 360 (decoding) video when a cheap 1080p player is peanuts?.. Personally I dont want to stress my JTAG any more than I have to (i.e. just play games); and use my silent playon to play media files. I can replace the media player easily, how easy would it be to replace a JTAGd 360?.. decoding a 1080p mkv is no easy feat unless using a GPU to offload the work..

JTAGd 360s are irreplaceable..at worst, and costly at best.

Edited by DuggyUK, 04 April 2011 - 01:09 PM.

#23 hfmls

hfmls

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:BENFICA
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:10 PM

really? ... coding a mediaplayer for xbox360 is a bad idea?

dude...please stfu.
since when coding something homebrew for xbox is a bad idea? ...specially a top request like a mediaplayer?
i respect all opinions and thoughts... but your post is just dumb dude.

stress xbox360?
check HW specs....xbox can handle any video with full hw aceleration.

Edited by hfmls, 04 April 2011 - 01:12 PM.

#24 Obveron

Obveron

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:10 PM

Thank you so much to the devs working on this! Where can we donate?

biggrin.gif pop.gif biggrin.gif pop.gif biggrin.gif

EDIT: Apparently the Devs don't want donations. Instead they ask you give to the Red Cross relief effort in Japan.

http://www.jrc.or.jp...4_00002070.html

Edited by Obveron, 04 April 2011 - 02:11 PM.

#25 Hoescout

Hoescout

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:51 PM

This comes too late unfortunately. Nowadays ION nettops and Dunes and Popcornhours are best for watching hd content.

Theyre quiter, use less power (under 20 Watts) and have better codec support and better functionality than a jtagged 360 with a xbmc could ever come up with.

#26 Obveron

Obveron

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:17 PM

We're all aware of the available HD players out there.. That doesn't make this idea pointless.
I already have a HTPC and a WDTV live player, but I'm still stoked to hear there is codec progress on jtags.

#27 johnyblackout

johnyblackout

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6c

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:39 PM

sweeeeet. Can't wait. If you could hook an eternal hdd up to the original xbox I wouldn't care as much. But this is definitely needed.

#28 thezet

thezet

X-S Enthusiast

• Validating
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE(DuggyUK @ Apr 4 2011, 07:08 AM) View Post

What a REALLY bad idea... 360's are flakey enough h/w wise. why port a media player that might heat up the 360 (decoding) video when a cheap 1080p player is peanuts?.. Personally I dont want to stress my JTAG any more than I have to (i.e. just play games); and use my silent playon to play media files. I can replace the media player easily, how easy would it be to replace a JTAGd 360?.. decoding a 1080p mkv is no easy feat unless using a GPU to offload the work..

I don't think you get the idea here. Of course there are tons of affordable media players out there, but this is a different issue. No one ever said a word about replacing your old one, or even competing with this sector of the entertainment industry. This development is just something that a lot of people have been waiting for. Since the sheer success of XBMC on the first xbox people have been waiting to be wooed by a media player when the 360 was first compromised and open for homebrew. We want a media player because it would give the xbox 360 the needed functionality it is lacking at the moment.
And to comment on your fear of breaking your xbox: If you would have done your homework, you would not even dare to compare mkv 1080 playback with the complexity of a modern game. Given the specs of this machine, playing 1080 mkv would not even make the 360 sweat.

My suggestion: Just think for a second before posting some nonsense about what constitutes great news for the majority of 360 JTAGGERs.

The Zet

Edited by thezet, 04 April 2011 - 07:05 PM.

#29 syntaxerror329

syntaxerror329

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking, Downhill Skiing, Xbox Mod Chips, Xbox Repair, Wiikey, ARGON, D2pro, XBOX360,
  • 360 version:v3.1 (opus)

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE(johnyblackout @ Apr 4 2011, 01:39 PM) View Post

sweeeeet. Can't wait. If you could hook an eternal hdd up to the original xbox I wouldn't care as much. But this is definitely needed.

You can hook a external drive up to original Xbox running XBMC. You need to convert one of the game ports to USB.

#30 danthaman673

danthaman673

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:Modding and Gaming 24/7
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE(DuggyUK @ Apr 4 2011, 09:38 PM) View Post

Using a 360 to render media will not stress it, 360's are made for this (most of the libraries are locked in M$ signed code - note they allow .avi files wit a MP 'optional' update) I would contend that using a JTAG for a media player to play all the other codecs is a brilliant idea (Me and others were expecting to see it in FSD2 RC1) As for 360's being flakey have to disagree (early Xenon and Falcon RROD stuff aside) I think the 360 is a rock-solid platform (when set-up properly, and looked after) as HW-wise all the bugs have been ironed-out (Actually TBH, I still don't know why ppl are doing AUD-clamps and transistor JTAG wiring as we have yet to have a problem with any of ours using our diode-based method that can't be put down to bad smc or incorrect diodes etc..)
I agree JTAG's (as it stands - and we all hope that changes) are irreplaceable, but I don't reckon that decoding a 1080p mkv will stress it anywhere near what some of the top-end FPS do. This is interesting however, so I've asked the guy doing our temp-plugin testing to add it in to our tests (at this stage we may have to approximate it) BTW sorry we haven't released the plugin yet but our guy doing the testing/benchmarking has been sick in amongst being snowed-in with work(in various forms) But, it should be public soon enough (I hope :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users