• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 epi4561

epi4561

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:59 PM

HDMI and composite don't even recognize that the xbox has been turned on. Component shows black screen with diag. white lines. The color of the lines changes depending on which cables are plugged/unplugged. (unplug the blue cable and the lines change colors etc...) I noticed that the pin in the video composite had snapped off in the back of my receiver. so I got a new cable but still the same results. Any suggestions?

thanks-epi

#2 dennisv9

dennisv9

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:57 PM

are both connectors damaged? both the hdmi and the av connector? how did you manage to do that? make sure that there are pins short circuiting in either or both of the damaged connectors. this might cause an issue since you report video output problems. what does your xbox do when you try to boot without an cable attached? you should get a red ring indicating that no av cable is connected. if you don't get that, some pins might be shorting letting the xbox believe that there is a cable connected and outputting garbage due to short circuiting of the remaining pins.

you can always replace the complete damaged connector

or

solder the outputs you want directly onto the motherboard. you can solder a vga connector and RGB outputs directly onto the motherboard, these connectors use the same pins and are easy to solder. drill a few holes in your 360 casing, and glue those connectors onto the outer casing. make sure the wires are long enough, in case you have to take your mainboard out again in the future.

i myself have a garbage xbox, i am in the process of soldering the wires and connectors in directly (component, composite, vga, audio analag and digital). wiring diagrams can be found here on the forum, most probably in one of the stickies....

#3 epi4561

epi4561

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:08 PM

how did you manage to do that?

I have no idea.. I'm blaming the kids on this one.

you should get a red ring indicating that no av cable is connected.

Interesting. I did not know that. thanks for the tip.

I don't want to start cutting into my 360 yet, if I don't have to.. Although your ideas have given me hope that the fix may not be as serious as I was thinking it might be...

thanks-epi

#4 epi4561

epi4561

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:44 AM

Well, I took the xbox completely apart. I removed the x-clamps and took off the heat sinks. cleaned them up and reapplied some thermal compound. put her all back together.. Now. I get flashing red lights when I have a video cable plugged in and normal looking green when I disconnect the A/V cable. So I am assuming that there is a short somewhere in the A/V out . Does anybody have an idea of which ping should have continuity and which pins shouldn't? or in other words, does anybody have an idea on how I can identify the short?

thanks-epi

#5 epi4561

epi4561

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:05 AM

Ok, I have it apart again, expecting that I will have to solder direct connections to the motherboard, as suggested by dennisv9. As others have reported on here, I am having a heck of a time getting the port to even budge. I bought a bernzomatic 3 in 1 microtorch and plan to use the hot blower setting to loosen the solder and remove the port. Well that was my plan anyway....

The other day I was browsing the hardware modding section and saw several people with similar issues that were told it was the hana/ana chip that needed to be reballed, while others said it was the gpu that needed to be reballed. (which I assume is basically refreshing the solder joints, correcting any possible cold solder joints). I figured I can do that no problem, I'm just wondering if I should even mess with trying to remove the A/V port yet, or maybe just try the "reballing" and then put it back together enough to power it up and see what I get. (or don't see, in my current situation... lol) Any suggestions?

thanks-epi

#6 epi4561

epi4561

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:34 AM

I fixed it!!!! woohoo.. I am soo happy. I'm not sure exactly what caused the problem, if it was a short, or a cold solder joint, or what. But resoldering the A/V port pins, applying Arctic Silver 5 to the cpu/gpu and replacing the x-clamps with screws and washers seems to have done the trick. it's going on 3 days now since I fixed it and I haven't had a problem yet.

thanks-epi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users