22 replies to this topic

#1 winotron

winotron

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:22 AM

I have a 1.0 Xbox already softmodded (which I did myself about a year ago) with Ndure. I'm trying to upgrade to a 160gb HDD (Western Digital model WD1600LB) using XboxHDM 2.2 booted from a USB thumb drive. No matter what I do, I get an error 21 after installing Ndure 3.1.

I have kernel 4034, so I selected 4034 in the installer, but I have also tried all of the other kernels including the generic. I tried with or without Nkpatcher .06, and with or without UDDAE. Another thing that confuses me... if I put a clean 5960 C drive back on my 10gb retail drive, it will boot up to the regular Xbox dashboard just fine. If I put that exact same C drive on the 160gb HDD, I get error 21.

I have also tried using UXE Complete 2.2 and instead of error 21, I get stuck on the "Xbox Live is not responding, please try again later" message, no matter which font/patcher combination I choose. I've been working on this for over a week now exhausting every option I can think of, but I just can't figure out why this is not working.

I've tried letting XboxHDM prepare the drive and install the files, and also tried just copying all of the files manually using xbrowser. Makes no difference. I have also tried all of these Ndure and UXE combinations on the 10gb retail drive, and have the exact same problem. I've gone over all my steps a million times and I have no clue what I could be doing wrong. I know this 160gb drive is fine as I was just using it in my PC without issue. Also, I have tried 2 other WD hard drives just for the heck of it, a 60gb and a 250gb, and I get the same results. I have also tried using a different USB thumb drive, just in case.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I've read through pretty much every single tutorial and forum post I have found.

Edited by winotron, 07 April 2011 - 01:26 AM.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:24 AM

Read the link in my signature - Build a new softmod disk with eeprom.

Edited by Heimdall, 07 April 2011 - 01:25 AM.

#3 winotron

winotron

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:45 AM

I am unable to use XboxHDM 1.9, as it freezes right after pressing 1 (or 2) at the menu no matter what I do. Apparently it doesn't like SATA drives, but even with my SATA drives disconnected (tried disabling the SATA ports in my BIOS but didn't have the option) it still freezes. I don't currently have another computer to try this on.

I have tried doing exactly what your link says at least 3 times already with XboxHDM 2.2, starting completely from scratch, but it couldn't hurt to try it again.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:53 AM

From memory it works the same for xboxhdm 1.9 and 2.2 - what's important is that you build the image in the right way using the Kingroach 3.1 options and stock files as described, and using the xboxhd / ndure script options I indicated in the right order. smile.gif

#5 winotron

winotron

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:46 AM

I remember running into this issue before... After letting xboxhdm rebuild the drive from scratch and rebuilding the c drive, when I run the ndure installer from xbrowser I am getting "Linux CD not found, insert it and try again". What am I doing wrong? Do I not have the Ndure files in the right place? The folder structure is: hdm\ndure with the C, E and ndure subfolders, with the ndure subfolder having the ndure installer file.

#6 winotron

winotron

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:50 AM

Well, I solved THAT problem, but now have a new one. In another thread I found a link to a 'ndure2', an ndure install script made for XboxHDM 2.2. Using that got me past the "Linux CD not found", but now the disk is running out of space when installing the shadow.c file, after running option 1. I remember reading somewhere that I need to delete the settings_adoc.xip file from the xboxdashdata.185ead00 folder? Is this why it's running out of space?

Edited by winotron, 07 April 2011 - 03:50 AM.

#7 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:45 AM

The ndure script does that for you. You only need to delete it manually for an FTP install.

#8 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:02 PM

Do you mean that settings_adoc.xip file actually does something and needs to be deleted or simply may be deleted to free up space?

I thought that all it was is a hidden, not very exciting, Easter egg which runs a unique Xbox development team credits list if you change the extention to .xbe and click on it. I've also read since, in an ancient thread here and elsewhere, that it can be activated directly by putting "EggsBox" in as either a name in a music playlist or(?) when you're ripping a CD. Both methods are mentioned but I've no idea if this is true and whether either works.

Edited by fallenangle, 07 April 2011 - 01:16 PM.

#9 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Apr 7 2011, 08:02 PM) View Post

Do you mean that settings_adoc.xip file actually does something

This is intended for fallenangle and not the OP. Keyword to search is UDDAE. http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=444280

You have much potential - young Padawan tongue.gif

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Apr 7 2011, 04:45 PM) View Post

The ndure script does that for you.

I read of sporadic reports of the script failing from time to time. Anyway there were many versions of the script - the latest should be included in the hdm 2.2 download. Kingroach's advice was that the installer created the basic file-set for the softmod and the script was just a good- to-have feature to automate part of the process - it's not essential to the softmod process contrary to popular belief.

#10 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:23 PM

Agree entirely - but without the script you are dependant on people choosing the right options at build time and at install time, and that's not for the faint hearted - and it's also not very well documented, and requires you to understand exactly what the xboxhd options do, which is also not well documented.

The big advantage of the ndure script is that you can take a generic Kingroach Softmod file set, and a stock C file set, and then use xboxhd option 2 (Rebuild C partition on existing Xbox drive) followed by ndure script option 1 (Install Ndure [Install only ndure files]), and you always end up with a working softmod regardless of what was on there to start with.

In other words, the script makes the whole process newbie friendly, for those who can't be bothered to read and understand instructions! smile.gif

#11 winotron

winotron

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:49 PM

OK, well I read elsewhere that I can ignore the out of disk space message during the install, and that it should work anyway. My Xbox freezes on the Xbox/Microsoft logo though. I also tried using Ndure 3.0 instead of 3.1 without shadow.c to avoid the out of disk space message, same results. sad.gif I for sure have clean stock C files, and clean Ndure install files. I selected the correct kernel. This exact same install does not work on my retail 10gb drive either, so I can't believe it would be a problem with this 160gb drive.

I know this sounds like there is a problem with my source files, but I have checked and checked them. I've tried getting the clean MS C files from 3 different sources... Slayers, AID, and online. I've tried getting the Ndure files from different places as well, including the usual places.

I am at a loss here...it sounds like if it hangs at the Microsoft logo, it's because of wrong kernel selection? I am 100% sure my kernel is 4034 though, and as mentioned in my earlier post, I tried every single other kernel just in case anyway.

I know Ndure works with this Xbox, as I had Ndure 3.1 working on my 10gb retail drive before this, using kernel 4034. The only difference with that installation was I was using XboxHDM 1.9 on an older system. I don't see how that would make any difference though, seeing as no matter how they get there, the files are exactly the same in the end. Am I wrong in this assumption?

Edited by winotron, 07 April 2011 - 07:34 PM.

#12 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:18 PM

Let's break this down a bit.

I know you said in your first post that this didn't work , but give it another go. Try building just a stock C on the 160GB disk. Once xboxhdm has loaded launch xboxhd, select option 1 - Build a new Xbox HD from scratch, and once that has finished select option 2 - Rebuild C partition on existing Xbox drive. Lock the disk, then put it back in the Xbox and see if it boots to the stock dash.

If it does then connect it back to your PC, unlock, run xboxhdm, then use xbrowser to manually install the softmod - the Kingroach manual tells you how to do this, and which files to delete / copy. See if it boots now.

Ah, and a final thought - have you tried changing the master / slave / CS jumpers on the drive? I can never remember which way they're supposed to be set, but setting them incorrectly will cause the Xbox to hang when it first tries to access the HDD - which is around the time the Xbox / Microsoft logo should disappear. It's worth a try.... smile.gif

Edited by Heimdall, 07 April 2011 - 09:22 PM.

#13 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:31 PM

May the Force be with you idotsfan. Thanks for that link about the adoc_settings.xip.

Most of it was above my head but certainly makes clear there's more to that file than I supposed. Obviously the post I found about the "EggsBox" (sic) thing from another forum didn't have it quite right either.

#14 spliff721

spliff721

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:51 AM

here is my 2 cents. i have gotten an error 21 from XBOXHDM 2.2 before, but i only got it if i booted with the eject button. if i booted with the power button, all was well.
as far as jumpers go, the xbox likes the HDD to be in cable select, but master also seems to work most of the time for me. i have also noticed that at least for some HDDs, maybe even most, XBOXHDM likes the jumper to be in master mode.
also, when using XBOXHDM 2.2, when creating the NDURE 3.1 folder, sometimes it is best to check the absolut minimum boxes.
x. core files
x. install ndure basic
x. boot XBL with eject (kinda optional, but may prevent the error 21 when booting with eject)
x. 4034 kernel
x. creat XBOXHDM installer

also, make sure the HDD is unlocked and try wiping the partition table, then do a build from scratch option.
then in midnight commander use the NDURE script and replace "C" with ndure.

if that does not work, as Heimdall said, try building the HDD like it is retail. see if it boots like that. it is most likely some kind of problem with the NDURE script. if you can get it to boot as retail. you can always add a gamesave exploit in the UDATA folder while building it retail. then you can get an exploitable game and mod like that. i have used this method before.
i love XBOXHDM 2.2, but i feel that Krayzies 1.1.1 is far more stable and reliable than kingroach. thats why even if i do use the kingroach, i always use HeXEn to upgrade to Krayzies 1.1.1 after.

#15 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 10 April 2011 - 04:03 AM

QUOTE(spliff721 @ Apr 8 2011, 03:51 PM) View Post

x. 4034 kernel

You shouldn't pick kernel versions in general. Unless you are certain of the kernel version. Kingroach installer will select generic fonts by default.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users