ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:57 PM

Unfortunately a big colored diagram does not imply the information presented are correct.

1. 9gb ? Lol
2. Eeprom.bin on stock hd? Lol
3. Sequence of hd upgrade?

Good effort for a first post though

#3 CanadianJeff

CanadianJeff

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:53 AM

The information "IS" correct I stayed up for HOURS AND HOURS trial and error to check this, its idiot proof and fool proof

upgrade hdd can actually work EVEN IF YOU ZERO OUT the 9GB drive cause cloneing a new HDD copies over the partition table that XBOX uses

#4 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:45 AM

I wasn't clear enough in my earlier reply:

1. Stock hdd size comes in either 8Gb or 10Gb , never 9Gb.
2. Eeprom data is found on the motherboard , not on the stock hdd. You have to softmod it before you can read the eeprom contents. Or you build an eeprom reader.
3. The direction of the cloning is from the stock hdd to the new hdd and not the other way round.
4. There is no details on what exactly to look out for when the hotswap process is being done.

#5 CanadianJeff

CanadianJeff

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:41 PM

IPB Image

Edited by CanadianJeff, 10 April 2011 - 05:48 PM.

#6 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:52 AM

1. In general, after the inital softmod process, there is no need to hotswap as one can do a backup of the eeprom contents into eeprom.bin and lock/unlock hdd at will. Hotswapping is actually risky business.
2. The usb-based xboxhdm 2.2 tool doesn't use hda/hdc. Neither is a boot floppy necessary. It's pretty hard to find a floppy drive these days.
3. The cloning direction seems very odd.
4. Kingroach Ndure has many versions. Only in ver 3.1, xman954's an eeprom backup tool was included. I don't think it is automatically invoked - a bit hazy on the details.

References:
a. http://replay.waybac...sk_Backup_HOWTO
b. http://replay.waybac...esystem_Details
c. http://replay.waybac...sk_Partitioning
d. http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=716837

While your efforts are valiant, I suggest that you read up on the internals of xboxhdm, hotswapping and the security system in the console before attempting to summarize everything with a diagram. It's the details that are hard to get right the first time.

#7 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:11 AM

umm ok umm

hotswaping may be an option but game save exploits are a much better option if you have the games.. and if you do then you can delete a LOT of that picture.
if you have to hotswap as a last resort. you need to know your not permenantly unlocking the hard disk whilst you are doing this. its only unlocked whilst the xbox is still on. so you have to have the av cables attached to the xbox to hotswap and its often a good idea to copy a cd to the hard disk and have the xbox play it.
(i wouldnt advize a you tube tutorial on how to blow your nose letalone hotswapping btw)

your hard disk should not be frozen during a hotswap because the disk is already unlocked when you attach it to your pc which if im not mistaken should already be on and booted in to windows, where you then use admin tools to detect it in windows so the bios never detects it so it cant be frozen.

i dont see how you can back up the eeprom simply by hot swaping you need to install a soft mod during the hot swap process once this is done you can just stick the old hard disk back in the xbox.
then run the eeprom back up utilities on the xbox's soft mod.
then you can simply FTP the bin file to your pc. and make a cd from xboxhdm to prepair a hard disk for you and lock it with the eeprom you ftp'd over
no need for any floppys (which most people dont have now any way)

frozen hard disk on a pc can be un frozen simply by booting up without power attached to the hard disk during boot, but re attach power to the drive before selecting any options in xboxhdm..
Simply dissableing the auto detect feature dosent really work on modern day computers, unless its a feature that allows you to tell the bios ther is no hard disk attached.

all this make a disk to get the soft mod files on to the xbox after hotswapping is a bit uncalled for.. If you have access to the hard disk put the files on there directly using xplorer360.
once they are on there you can back up the eeprom.
And the only disk you have to make is the xboxhdm cd to prepair the new drive and lock it.

The longer you have a hotswap runing for the more risky things are.

just my input there on the matter smile.gif

Edited by shambles1980, 10 June 2011 - 04:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users