• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 liquidmetaljesus

liquidmetaljesus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:20 AM

Hey, whats up? I know I'm super late to the party, but I've been modding my xbox for the last two days (this is my first ever xbox, which I've honestly owned for two days + 1 hour), and so far I have done the following -

Upgradded hdd
installed unleash x through ndure softmod hotswapping process
then reinstalled unleash x (I think) through AID, along with all the emulators and xbmc

I've got everything working fine, and besides a spoof with the new hdd, have had no real problems. But then I got to thinking. I have a Hori Ex2 controller, which uses usb, just sitting here, and a couple of slick shmups and fighters on the xbox, so I wanted to see if I could hook the Hori up to the xbox.

I followed this tutorial - http://www.xbox-scen...es/usb-port.php

The only slight problem I had was when I cut my usb extender, there was a lot of lose wiring in there. To be honest, I've never screwed around with wires like this before, so it may have just been insulation (its like really thin wires, but they aren't in a rubber tube like all the other wires, though they were in the wire itself). Not knowing what that was, I taped them up just to make sure I didn't get rid of something i may still need.

So, I splice everything together, put it back in and here's where I get lost. When the xbox is loading, the green light on the Hori lights up. The minute it gets to the dash, it turns off and is not responsive. If I load up xbmc, while it is loading, it lights up, but the minute it gets to xbmc, it turns off and is not responsive. It's the same with any game or app I load. It's like while the xbox is thinking, it lights up, but the minute it does whatever it's supposed to do, it stops.

Also, I should mention I spliced this into port 4, and port 4 still works perfectly fine with my regular xbox controller.

I don't even know where to start with this. My completely uneducated thoughts are that unleashx isn't set to use a pc controller (I should also mention I've also tried with 2 logitech pc controllers, they do the same light up then turn off deal, and all 3 controllers are tested and working), I've installed the usb port wrong or anywhere in between. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Gracias.

#2 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE(liquidmetaljesus @ Apr 10 2011, 03:20 PM) View Post

I don't even know where to start with this. My completely uneducated thoughts are that unleashx isn't set to use a pc controller (I should also mention I've also tried with 2 logitech pc controllers, they do the same light up then turn off deal, and all 3 controllers are tested and working), I've installed the usb port wrong or anywhere in between. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Gracias.

The xbox doesn't work with PC controllers out of the box regardless of unleashX dash or other dash, except when running Linux. There's this mod though: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=510168

Hope this helps.

#3 liquidmetaljesus

liquidmetaljesus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Apr 10 2011, 10:51 AM) View Post

The xbox doesn't work with PC controllers out of the box regardless of unleashX dash or other dash, except when running Linux. There's this mod though: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=510168

Hope this helps.

That seems interesting, I may have to try that. Just got to learn to solder. Ha. Something I've been meaning to do anyway.

But for the more immediate question, I have an old ps2 stick laying around. I've noticed there are ps2 to xbox converters. Probably a super noob question, but that'd allow me to use my ps2 stick on the xbox, right?

Also. Thanks for the prompt response.

#4 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:33 PM

That's what they're designed to do but whilst they should work with PS2 Dualshock and probably the original PS Dualshock it doesn't mean they will function correctly with all PS/PS2 controllers. Button mapping might me a problem with some games too.

I've not used a PS2 controller to Xbox adapter myself but I've tried other ones for various console/controller combinations. I'm not a fan and for most retro consoles the price of such an adapter and that of easily found, used but decent condition original controllers, aren't much different.

#5 liquidmetaljesus

liquidmetaljesus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Apr 10 2011, 06:33 PM) View Post

That's what they're designed to do but whilst they should work with PS2 Dualshock and probably the original PS Dualshock it doesn't mean they will function correctly with all PS/PS2 controllers. Button mapping might me a problem with some games too.

I've not used a PS2 controller to Xbox adapter myself but I've tried other ones for various console/controller combinations. I'm not a fan and for most retro consoles the price of such an adapter and that of easily found, used but decent condition original controllers, aren't much different.

Well, I think I'm going to try that because I also think the xboxs controller is awful and dual shock 2s are by far and away the most comfortable general gaming controllers ever made. And if all fails I'm out 12 bucks. Uh-oh.

But, before we get too pigeonholed here, what is the most effecient way of getting an arcade controller for use of xbox? My main gaming on this thing honestly is SFA3, SFIII and various Shmups, all of which pretty much require an arcade stick to be taken seriously, in my opinion.

I see the Street Fighter Anniversary sticks are still around 60, which isn't the absolute worst, but I'd like a cheaper and more importantly, DIY way of going about it if possible. I was considering just buying stick parts from lizardlick and soldering them on to an xbox pcb. Any other ideas?

#6 crusty_punk

crusty_punk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:30 PM

Look here

I know that it's for the 360 controller but the basic principle is the exact same.

Once upon a time, I built an arcade cabinet and I used psx controllers doing this exact same thing.
Joy sticks and buttons can be bought on eBay.
You can build or even buy a box to house everything.
Get wire from an old Cat5 cable.

good luck!

#7 caaraa

caaraa

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:36 AM

look answer.
IPB ImageIPB Image

#8 masterofpuppets

masterofpuppets

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE(liquidmetaljesus @ Apr 10 2011, 09:11 PM) View Post

Well, I think I'm going to try that because I also think the xboxs controller is awful and dual shock 2s are by far and away the most comfortable general gaming controllers ever made. And if all fails I'm out 12 bucks. Uh-oh.

But, before we get too pigeonholed here, what is the most effecient way of getting an arcade controller for use of xbox? My main gaming on this thing honestly is SFA3, SFIII and various Shmups, all of which pretty much require an arcade stick to be taken seriously, in my opinion.

I see the Street Fighter Anniversary sticks are still around 60, which isn't the absolute worst, but I'd like a cheaper and more importantly, DIY way of going about it if possible. I was considering just buying stick parts from lizardlick and soldering them on to an xbox pcb. Any other ideas?

No xbox controllers are much better those ps controls just don't fit into your hands I find them uncomfortable. I saw something about using Nes controllers which had some solder points for the buttons, didn't really look too difficult even if you are new to soldering.

QUOTE(caaraa @ May 7 2011, 08:36 AM) View Post

look answer.
IPB ImageIPB Image

This Guy...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users