4 replies to this topic

#1 politzmajster

politzmajster

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:37 PM

Hi,

A friend of asked me to replace his dvd drive. It's working fine but he got tired of Samsung firmware always coming out late.

Which drive would be best to replace a Sammy? Which ones get firmware releases first?

Edited by politzmajster, 11 April 2011 - 10:37 PM.

#2 Avinitlarge

Avinitlarge

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:16 PM

Is there a "best" drive? Some people say the BenQ, some say others. Im probably gonna get slated but I prefer the Hitachi's.

These are my findings from repairs I have done.
The BenQ and LiteOn are virtually the same drive, main difference is the logic board. Both suffer from faulty lasers and worm motors

Samsung - Ive had 3 lasers and a few tray belts to replace

Hitachi - replaced 1 laser and that was down to the owner being a smoker

What make 1 drive better than the others?

#3 K1Kingy

K1Kingy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:18 AM

I'd suggest BenQ.

The only reason I say this is because it is a lot quieter than the Samsung/Hitachi and is also easier to flash than the LiteOn.

I'd stay away from hitachis because unlike Avinitlarge, every xbox i've had that has come with a hitachi is shocking. The lasers don't read backup games for s*** and they are also very loud.

Also the reason you stated for replacing the drive is a pretty dud one. The reason the Samsung drives don't have up to date firmware is because they DON'T need it. Samsung drives don't understand AP25 therefore don't need protection against it.

#4 politzmajster

politzmajster

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:10 PM

Do BenQ and Lite-Ons get updates at the same time?

#5 K1Kingy

K1Kingy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:12 PM

Why are you worried about firmware updates? Like I said previously, they will only be updated when/if required.

To answer your question though, yes they pretty much get the updates at the same time. The newer slim liteons are currently being worked on/released but i'm assuming you don't have a slim so therefore need not worry about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users