4 replies to this topic

#1 DJ_Yuz

DJ_Yuz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:32 AM

So, a few years back I bought my first HDTV, and noticed faint diagonal lines in the picture when running my Xbox at 720p. The lines were moving back and forth, which was kind of distracting. There were a lot of potential causes at the time. It was a cheap off-brand HDTV, I was using a cheap Chinese component cable, and there was probably a lot of signal noise because in my small apartment I had to plug pretty much everything into two daisy-chained outlets. There were so many potential causes, I decided to just ignore the lines--they were pretty faint.

Fast forward to now. I've just bought a gorgeous new Samsung LCD, and moved into a new bigger place where I don't need to bunch up all the plugs and wires in one place. I have my PS2 and Xbox hooked up with one of those combo component cables, and the lines are still there. If anything, they look worse than ever--maybe it's because I can see them more clearly now with a nicer TV. Now, despite being connected to the same cable, there's no noise or lines when using the PS2. Only the Xbox. The problem clearly wasn't the TV, (it's new), or the wire setup, (I've moved), and I even have two different sets of those combo component cables to test with (both have the noise problem). The only constant factor in all this is the Xbox itself...is it possible that my box is somehow outputting this noise? Is this a known issue, and is there any way to fix it?

Both of my component cables are third-party ones from Hong Kong, so I was considering the Monster Cables. But I don't even know if the cable is the issue, and I've heard they fit so tight that they damage your TV if you try to remove them.

Sorry for the long, long post by the way. rolleyes.gif

#2 thcmagus

thcmagus

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:07 AM

Not really sure if monster cables will do the trick sad.gif Are you using the m$ xbox hd pack? Is your box modified? If so is it soft/hard mod? Any component cable should do the trick. Dont shell out big bucks for monster cables. Call around and see if a video game store in the area would let you bring your box and av cables by and test it out. If you can reproduce the same problem.. then try a set of their cables. If the problem persists it could be your xbox for whatever reason.. Only off thing I could think of would be that medal shielding inside your case got discarded? The xbox can cause RF noise but not sure it would cause the lines? Good luck.

#3 DJ_Yuz

DJ_Yuz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE(thcmagus @ Apr 18 2011, 07:07 PM) View Post

Not really sure if monster cables will do the trick sad.gif Are you using the m$ xbox hd pack? Is your box modified? If so is it soft/hard mod? Any component cable should do the trick. Dont shell out big bucks for monster cables. Call around and see if a video game store in the area would let you bring your box and av cables by and test it out. If you can reproduce the same problem.. then try a set of their cables. If the problem persists it could be your xbox for whatever reason.. Only off thing I could think of would be that medal shielding inside your case got discarded? The xbox can cause RF noise but not sure it would cause the lines? Good luck.

Nope, using some cheapo Chinese component cables. My Box is TSOP'd. I would try a local game store, but I don't think any of them still carry original Xbox goods. And I'm pretty sure the metal shielding in my case is still intact.

#4 DJ_Yuz

DJ_Yuz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:28 PM

Took a while, but after literally weeks of trying everything I could think of, I finally nailed down the problem, so I'm posting it here in case anyone else has this problem. I simply had too much plugged into the surge protector. I unplugged some things, shuffled some plugs around, and the fuzzy lines are now gone. I still get a slight bit of static in the image, but it's almost impossible to see unless you're inches away from the screen. Good enough for me.

#5 karen123456

karen123456

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for the update. I should have read it thoroughly earlier to avoid misunderstanding. More interesting post in the future please.pellet mill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users