• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:24 PM

It appears to be the same
CODE
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 152d:2338 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp. JM20337 Hi-Speed USB to SATA & PATA Combo Bridge

My device number is the only thing that varies.

Edited by xboxmods2977, 12 May 2011 - 07:25 PM.

#17 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:08 PM

OK. update:
I bit the bullet and set up ubuntu 10.10 on my laptop dual-booting it, and backtrack 4, just to test this stuff further and even with a clean install of ubuntu maverick, I get the same error as before.

So I guess maybe this doesn't work for IDE HD's? or I am missing something. Prerequisites? Kernel modules?

Just to confirm, I used the guide you posted in this thread but since I already had a fully working xbox HD, I skipped right to steps 12 and 13. Is this ok? I get the errors noted above when I try those 2 commands.

Something else I noticed. I can't copy and paste the commands directly or I get "permission denied", even after cd'ing to the hdm2.3 dir and sudo su'ing. I have to type them this way:
CODE
hdparm --security-eeprom-lock eeprom.bin /dev/sdb (sdb is my drive)

note that I had to leave out the "./" at the beginning.

Edited by xboxmods2977, 13 May 2011 - 03:17 PM.

#18 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:59 AM

My kernel details from uname: 2.6.35-28-generic-pae

The IDE hdd should work as well. While testing, I unlocked an IDE hdd with the same adapter.

Without the ./ in the command, it may be running the resident copy of hdparm in Maverick rather than the copy in the dir. Unless your shell env already has . in its $PATH

Can you try granting permission with chmod a+x hdparm in the hdm2.3 dir and run with the ./ prefix?

#19 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:32 AM

Yep. Worked like a charm. So now, I am gonna go back to the live CD environment and see if maybe the whole reason it didn't work before was because I hadn't given the new hdparm execute permissions. Thanks man. You're the shit! Keep up the good work!

EDIT: Nope. No live environments. Install only.

Edited by xboxmods2977, 15 May 2011 - 03:02 AM.

#20 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:21 AM

Great! Thanks to your testing, now we know this really works and the requirements for using it, an installed Ubuntu and the JMicron based adapter.

I'll update the earlier post with the chmod instruction to make things clearer.

#21 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:33 AM

This works under virtualization as well.

I executed Ubuntu Natty installed to hdd as guest OS in Virtualbox under Windows 7 host OS and was able to lock and unlock a stock seagate hdd with hdparm.

#22 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:48 PM

Smartmontools has better support for USB than hdparm.

Nevertheless hdparm should have SAT ATA pass-through as well as JMicron but lacking in Sunplus and Cypress.

I'll be interested to hear from testers with access to USB adapters using ASMedia, Initio, Oxford and other such chipsets.

#23 sfgsgvs

sfgsgvs

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ May 17 2011, 06:33 AM) View Post

This works under virtualization as well.

I executed Ubuntu Natty installed to hdd as guest OS in Virtualbox under Windows 7 host OS and was able to lock and unlock a stock seagate hdd with hdparm.

Could you please upload a Virtualbox hard drive image like the one you used? It would be of great help for us that don't know how to install and setup Linux, and a big timesaver aswell if we all could use the same setup. Building drives works great using xboxhdm 1.9 in Virtual PC, I only need to be able to lock/unlock drives. It's kind of a hassle to dig out an old computer every time just for the locking/unlocking part wink.gif

#24 sfgsgvs

sfgsgvs

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:36 PM

I think I got it setup the right way now through VirtualBox, but I can't lock or unlock the drives. If I try to lock/unlock a Seagate HDD from an old Xbox I get this error message:

CODE
The running kernel lacks CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL support for this device.
SECURITY_UNLOCK: Invalid argument

Does this mean my USB -> IDE/SATA-adapter isn't compatible, or is something else giving me this error? The chipset in my adapter is Genesys Logic GL830. ./hdparm -I /dev/sdb is working though and gives me the right model, serial number, firmware revision etc. ./hdparm -I /dev/sdb didn't work with another external USB HDD I tried, so I'm hoping something else (preferably something easy to fix) is wrong with my setup.

#25 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE(sfgsgvs @ Aug 28 2011, 06:34 AM) View Post

Could you please upload a Virtualbox hard drive image like the one you used?

Virtualbox images are available here: http://virtualboxes.org/images/ubuntu/

#26 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:06 AM

Mark K ( donut123 ) posted a patch against hdparm for non-ascii passwords in a file. I'll have a go at code merging the patch into the jmicron branch of hdparm since it's a logical fit. donut123's other comments for hdparm are equally interesting from xbox1 hdd security's perpective.

#27 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:31 AM

A list of devices with a good chance of being supported: those in the list using the flag -dusbjmicron for smartmontools. hdparm's jmicron support is based on similar code.

#28 aliaric

aliaric

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

This looks really interesting. I have an Oxford chip and I will also get JMicron from dx.com
Hope you sure that this is work.

#29 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:42 PM

Only JMicron chipset is supported. Is Oxford chip mentioned? You did see this part of the post right

those in the list using the flag -dusbjmicron for smartmontools.

#30 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Sep 3 2012, 09:42 PM) View Post

Only JMicron chipset is supported. Is Oxford chip mentioned? You did see this part of the post right

Turned out I'm wrong tongue.gif I just locked a Western Digital Elements external hdd over usb with hdparm and this is straight from the smartmontools list under -dsat which means SCSI-ATA Translation. In a nutshell the list of supported chipsets now expands to all those listed under -dsat. The odds of the Oxford chip working increases accordingly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users