145 replies to this topic

#16 yougottabecrazy

yougottabecrazy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:52 PM

You mentioned the few issues with the new core, so is it possible at all to have it like PSCSXBox, and have core selection. That would fix the speed issues you're mentioning, in a sense...

Also, although off topic, what is the max cache size?

#17 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE(yougottabecrazy @ Apr 21 2011, 03:52 PM) View Post

You mentioned the few issues with the new core, so is it possible at all to have it like PSCSXBox, and have core selection. That would fix the speed issues you're mentioning, in a sense...

Also, although off topic, what is the max cache size?
Not really... Pcsxbox is built around a plugin system so it's alot easier to let the user change the GPU and SPU plugins. Plus it had three seperate "Base" cores that it loaded. I could possibly go the seperate core route. But that would mean porting 1.52 which is where alot of the significant changes occured, including sound improvements and possibly including the switch to C based processor cores.. so it may not be possible.

Well I just took a look at the 1.52 source and it looks like it still has support for the Zsnes_FX ASM core.. so it may be worth a look for FX based games.. Possible C4 games as well. All the other special chips were not ASM.. If I remember right. However when I ported 1.51 a couple of the ASM cores had a bunch of unresolved externals.. either because they were renamed or removed from the C portion of the code.

Of course.. this is assuming the lack of ASM cores is where the speed loss is occuring. smile.gif

"max cache size?" Where'd you hear that terminology?

Edited by madmab, 21 April 2011 - 10:22 PM.

#18 yougottabecrazy

yougottabecrazy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE(madmab @ Apr 21 2011, 10:20 PM) View Post

Not really... Pcsxbox is built around a plugin system so it's alot easier to let the user change the GPU and SPU plugins. Plus it had three seperate "Base" cores that it loaded. I could possibly go the seperate core route. But that would mean porting 1.52 which is where alot of the significant changes occured, including sound improvements and possibly including the switch to C based processor cores.. so it may not be possible.

Well I just took a look at the 1.52 source and it looks like it still has support for the Zsnes_FX ASM core.. so it may be worth a look for FX based games.. Possible C4 games as well. All the other special chips were not ASM.. If I remember right. However when I ported 1.51 a couple of the ASM cores had a bunch of unresolved externals.. either because they were renamed or removed from the C portion of the code.

Of course.. this is assuming the lack of ASM cores is where the speed loss is occuring. smile.gif

"max cache size?" Where'd you hear that terminology?

True.
Why would you have to port 1.52 to go with separate cores?

Hopefully the speed loss is some other minor or strange occurrence.

I haven't heard the term, however I was referring to the cache on the hard drive... I'm rather curious, because PSCSXBox has gzip support, if you could have the ISO or BIN be unzipped for use into the cache, as opposed to what I was interpreting as happening.

#19 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:52 AM

I thought I explained it rather well.. 1.52 was (from what it looks) the last CORE where it was possible to compile and use the ZSNES Super FX ASM core. 1.52 was also the core where the sound improvement occured. So anything prior to that would be rather pointless.

1.53 removed the ability to use the ZSNES Super FX ASM core by completely removing any references or calls to the ZNES Super FX ASM core. 1.53 relies on a C based Super FX core.

Actually 1.52 is where they switched away from the ASM cores.. but the did not remove any references of it and it should be compilable.

#20 yougottabecrazy

yougottabecrazy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:07 AM

Sorry, I just got a little (a lot) lost.
It's pretty nifty that they left the references in there, I suppose. I didn't realize that they called the cores separate, and remember reading once that SNES9x (or some emulator, at least) was written in assembly for speed. jester.gif A fool am I, I suppose.

#21 XTecuterX73

XTecuterX73

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:09 AM

thanks again madmab for doing all this, im wondering is some optimizations can fix the speed issues due to the filter. if i recall correctly i thought his new filters where very low level ones now, not like when he first stated making them, they needed super pcs to run haha. laugh.gif

XT-

#22 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:26 AM

Could be.. but sadly as the xbox gets older it's gonna get harder and harder to update cores. Because most emulators are based on the PC world. Which is a constantly evolving platform. So as the PC's get faster the emulators get more accurate (because they can afford to) but then they get harder to run on older slower machines.

#23 Skater4599

Skater4599

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:07 PM

Madmab I just had to say THANK YOU for this update! I don't have any real additions I wanted that aren't already there, My only real wish was to update the core which you have already done, I have snes9x on my Wii too but the save states didn't play well with xbox version since the wii uses the new core, now I can go back to my trusty old box biggrin.gif I know some games don't work well with new core but some others also started working better with it too. Sound accuracy bonus!

#24 XTecuterX73

XTecuterX73

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:50 AM

maybe im off here, but do you think the speed issue might be due to some core changes from asm to C? also im thinking of how i could help to get all the games running full speed even with ntsc filter activated. i know snes is a different beast than the nes code wise and performance wise but this emu could be the top of the line for xbox, it sounds stunning and amazing and would prob take a little work and tweaking without sacrifice of the code changes. pop.gif laugh.gif

XT-

#25 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:24 AM

I don't think tweaking around is gonna help much. Unless you are a CPU core expert. There are very few CPU core programmers out there in the emulation world as it is. It may be possible to somehow combine the old ASM cores and the new ones in a "driver/plugin" type format. But that would require a substantial amount of rewriting and testing of the code. On top of that it would make updating the core to future versions even more of a headache.

It's hard to say how much of a diff the ASM core makes.. it all depends on how much of the rest of the code (The C part) was changed to accomodate better emulator accuracy. So it is possible those are playing a factor. As it is some of the games that relied on the old ASM parts are runnig 10-15 fps slower than normal.. so it may be that the ASM is making up for that difference.

I'll have a better idea when I port the 1.52 core.. since the 1.51 core seems to run things at a pretty decent speed. But there were ALOT of changes made between 1.51 and 1.52. Including switching to all new sound code, the addition of the filters, and a whole restructuring of the main loop, sound, and graphics code. But it looks like it is possible that the 1.52 core will be compilabl in the same manner as I currently have 1.51 setup.

#26 pkbunghole

pkbunghole

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:21 AM

sounds great! im sure this could already run amazingly on trusty box biggrin.gif

#27 Excelsis

Excelsis

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:14 PM

Just wondering, how come Xport emulators cant display games properly like on a real SNES without scaling (and either introducing aliasing or blurring) while for exemple, SNES Station ps2 can? I believe the Wii emulator can as well.

This is actually really bothering me in the case of SNES emulation, almost as much as the sound issues that was in previous versions of the various SNES emulators for Xbox (though this will be fixed, thanks to you!).

I'll try to make a guess on the issue of scaling. The Xports run at a 4:3 resolution while the SNES was 8:7 and then the TV would do its magic, which is why when we choose the 1:1 pixel perfect option in snes9xbox there's black bars on both sides even on a 4:3 SDTV.

Now the question is... Is this a limitation of the Xbox or Xports? If it is a Xport issue, would it be possible to fix this?

In any case, I cant wait for this. I've been meaning to play FF6 again but no option to play it with blargg's sound core on my good ol' TV made me feel like I would cheat myself out of a one of the best part of FF6.

Edit: Read up a bit on this case and it seems that it might be possible but no one really bothered trying it out. That's a shame. Guess I'll have to get myself a modded Wii down the line if I want perfect emulation. :\

Edited by Excelsis, 23 April 2011 - 04:27 PM.

#28 -{TETSUO}-

-{TETSUO}-

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:29 PM

I'm just hoping they do away with that Godawful SKIN.
PM3 skins in all these emulators look bloody awful with no soul and look out of place when most dont even use the skin in xbmc anymore.
It's the only reason I still cling to zsnesxbox as that looks amazing.

#29 bigby

bigby

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:03 PM

gilles9999 has updated the skins smile.gif

IPB Image]

Edited by bigby, 23 April 2011 - 09:07 PM.

#30 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:05 AM

Is there anyway to include support for TAS videos, if they aren't working already? http://tasvideos.org/Movies-SNES.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users