• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 joezink88

joezink88

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:56 AM

Ok here's my problem. I got Aurora fans and led kit. I set up the led kit first. Like an idiot I knew that this might happen. So what I did was try and tap off the led kit so is I could place other ledís strategically where I wanted them without having to solder to mobo. Well after I did that my fans cut out. The Xbox still boots up can still load games but of course after a short amount of time I get 2 rings and the Xbox is overheating. I also noticed I was getting a screen saying I need to update but I clicked straight thru it and it loads the game. Iíve done some looking and found a couple of things but would like to get answers on my exact issue.

Iíve read that I could solder my fans to A V12 spot

Also that it could be a bridge or chip is mest up on the mother board

Iím not that Tec savvy which why I shouldnít of F around in the first place so some guidance would be cool

THANKS

#2 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:05 AM

You could try the 12v fan mod off the DVD drive cable.

#3 joezink88

joezink88

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:18 AM

That might be what Iíll have to do in the end. I still havenít checked if I've done any real damage to the mobo. What Iím wondering if this will take care of my error message and from what i herd it will not regulate my fan speed but thats the least of my worries

#4 sictrix5971

sictrix5971

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE(joezink88 @ Apr 30 2011, 10:56 PM) View Post

Ok here's my problem. I got Aurora fans and led kit. I set up the led kit first. Like an idiot I knew that this might happen. So what I did was try and tap off the led kit so is I could place other ledís strategically where I wanted them without having to solder to mobo. Well after I did that my fans cut out. The Xbox still boots up can still load games but of course after a short amount of time I get 2 rings and the Xbox is overheating. I also noticed I was getting a screen saying I need to update but I clicked straight thru it and it loads the game. Iíve done some looking and found a couple of things but would like to get answers on my exact issue.

Iíve read that I could solder my fans to A V12 spot

Also that it could be a bridge or chip is mest up on the mother board

Iím not that Tec savvy which why I shouldnít of F around in the first place so some guidance would be cool

THANKS

i personally would not rob power from your dvd drive (thats just me though). on the bottom of your mobo (along with quite a few other places) you can get a 12v supply righ from your PS. run a power wire from the 12v pin to the fan. splice the two power wires from the fan together with the 12v source and use the ground from the original plug (dont do anything with the grounds). easy as 1... 2... 3... i dont have a pic of mine at the moment but search 12v for the xb mobo..

biggrin.gif

Edited by sictrix5971, 01 May 2011 - 10:41 AM.

#5 joezink88

joezink88

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:30 PM

yeah I'm not going with the dvd drive. I am already making the steps toward V12 from PS. I knew about PS but wasn't sure if my situation was different due to how I shorted my old fans. What i wanna do is solder one of the adapter cable's from the kit to link my leds and fans so the both run off the v12 from PS. will this give me problems you think or will the fan speed go down a little?

#6 sictrix5971

sictrix5971

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE(joezink88 @ May 1 2011, 03:30 PM) View Post

yeah I'm not going with the dvd drive. I am already making the steps toward V12 from PS. I knew about PS but wasn't sure if my situation was different due to how I shorted my old fans. What i wanna do is solder one of the adapter cable's from the kit to link my leds and fans so the both run off the v12 from PS. will this give me problems you think or will the fan speed go down a little?

It is highly unlikely that you did any serious damage to the fans, but there is always that possibility. Check to see if the fans work. This can be done by using a lantern battery (6v) or a 9v battery. connect the black (usually back sometimes will be blue) wires to the ground of your battery, then connect your hot wires (in most cases red, white, brown) to the positive terminal of the battery. If it turns on the fans are still good. if this is the case instead of using anything from the plug run both the ground and power source from the PS. If they do not turn on they are damaged, and get new ones. If you want you can check your plug voltages with a DMM. The overall fan speed would be running at 12V this might be a bit noisy but that is the sacrifice that is taken when going from 4v to 12v..

Just remember that if you do check your fans with a battery they will be running at the maximum battery power, when connected to the 12v from the PS they will run faster and louder than what you have tested for...

biggrin.gif

Edited by sictrix5971, 01 May 2011 - 10:31 PM.

#7 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:34 PM

Here is a link from Llama. The second picture shows some spots on top of the MB that are 12 volt.

#8 joezink88

joezink88

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:05 AM

I'm not to concerned about my fans being loud I own a dreamcast you should hear that beast plus if it keeps it cool Im good. Well thanks for the help I think this will take care of my situation, thanks again to all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users