X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:07 PM

Hi all;

Like many, when i play emulators with my xbox on a SDTV i usually use NO hardware filter and NO software filters and flicker filter set to 0, and use the "accurate pixel ratio" option of all the madmab emus to have the best "real old school" aspect i can have.

BUT

When i play MADMAB/XPORT emus on my HDTV in 720p (like many xbox users nowadays), i prefer to use filters (because without them the pixels are to huge and ugly lol)
So for now, with years of experience it seems

software filter: advance mame2*
+ hardware filter: trilinear

This is the combination that gives me the best results (nice visual render and SMOOTH and FLUID animation)
some filters gaves ugly sluggish result (high quality2* hardware filters etc...)

NOW

Those filters are great but they are not the best available:
Not many know this but there is an excellent filter that give the best result:
it is the "3XSCALE" software filter present in FBAXXX PRO (in the end of the list)
It is really incredible but even the biggest roms neo geo, cps1,cps2 etc, runs incredibly FLUID,SMOOTH AND 0 SLOWDOWN! it is by far the best software filter if you play fbaxxx pro in 720p

unfortunatelly this filter isn't present in XPORT/MADMAB emus and not in final burn legends

the source code of fbaxxx pro is here:
fbaxxx pro source

Do you know guys if it could be inserted in the MADMAB emus?
thx for your answers

#2 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:37 PM

snes9x has a 3x filter. If you want me to enable it so you can take a look just let me know..

#3 gilles9999

gilles9999

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:10 PM

of course! lol
if you can put a beta in my gilou9999 folder in the ftp it would be great

out of subject: i have tested the snes9x 1.53 and yes the sound improves especially the powerup etc in games
but unfortunatelly it brings slowdowns in many games (even final fantasy when you entering narshe (first town) you have serious slowdowns
that's why i keep snes9xbox v2 (using 1.41 core?) all the snes games are perfect in animation (0 slowdowns) and the music is good (but not perfect like in 1.53)

we all hope you'll find a solution madmab (a switch core option?) because some games aare really better in term of sound (mario world, super metroid and secret of mana so far i have tested, are better)

#4 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:18 PM

I keep them in the betaemus folder and you might wanna make sure you have the latest one where I improved the sound and the game speed. Just in case.. cause one of my earlier versions had some slow down in areas. Oh and make sure no filters are activated.. NTSC filters kill (sounds like a good new slogan to use). tongue.gif

#5 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:18 AM

ok well over the weekend I went ahead and added all the filters that I could. Here is a list
TV Mode
Blargg's NTSC (Composite)
Blargg's NTSC (S-Video)
Blargg's NTSC (RGB)
hq2x
hq2xS
hq2xBold
EPX A
EPX B
EPX C
Simple 3x
Tv Mode 3x
Dot Matrix 3x
hq3x
hq3xS
hq3xBold
lq3xBold
EPX 3

Most of them from 2x on up run with slowdown. Of the top of my head I think only TV Mode, EPX A-C, Tv Mode 3x?, are about the only ones that ran full speed. The rest may or may not run full speed on the souped up Xbox's that some have out there.

I did, however, discover that I implemented the NTSC filters incorrectly. So after fixing that there is a frame rate lost of a few fps... maybe 3 or so?

I'm currently still tinkering around with the sound code. For the most part it is ok, but on games with slowdown (aka games with special chips) it gets a little choppy. So I'm trying to get it a little more smoothly in those circumstances.

#6 Xtra-Radical

Xtra-Radical

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:54 AM

Scanline filtering is my personal favorite. But I'm just a nobody compared to the vastly experienced members here. sad.gif

#7 XTecuterX73

XTecuterX73

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:54 PM

hey madmab so are you saying now with the filter correctly implemented into snes9x that you lost another 3 fps? lmao.

#8 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:08 AM

Yup... Ironic isnt it?

tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic