9 replies to this topic

#1 J8son

J8son

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:55 PM

So, there are several mods that I find very interesting and I'm sure I could spend hours on, tweaking textures and swapping out files to enhance or change the gameplay of a few 360 games I own. To me, being that I love to tinker with stuff anyway, sounds like a lot of fun to do.

Problem is, I still have no modded 360 to do it with.

Now, I know a simple firmware update wouldn't allow me to edit textures and such (as it's only for playing backed up games, which I'm not interested in) so I would assume my only option at this point would be JTAG?

If so, here is the one catch 22. I don't want anything to affect my online capabilities and my XBL Gamertag. I still need that access and functionality.

Does that pretty much leave me out of options? From what I hear, if you JTAG then that Xbox is officially offline. Unfortunately, I can't really see the few mods I want to tinker with justifying purchasing a second 360.

Any thoughts?

#2 kami623

kami623

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:36 PM

No, it's the other way around. You can only JTAG your box if its on 2.0.7371.0 or lower. (With an exploitable CB version as well) However, since you want to make use of Xbox Live, then your only option is to flash the DVD drive. If you want to have a modded console and access to Xbox Live, then this is your best bet.

#3 J8son

J8son

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE(kami623 @ May 5 2011, 12:36 PM) View Post

No, it's the other way around. You can only JTAG your box if its on 2.0.7371.0 or lower. (With an exploitable CB version as well) However, since you want to make use of Xbox Live, then your only option is to flash the DVD drive. If you want to have a modded console and access to Xbox Live, then this is your best bet.

So, your saying that since a JTAG is offline only (which leaves this option out for me as I need XBL access) then flashing the firmware would allow me to play backups while still accessing XBL.

This brings up two questions in my mind:

1) I was under the impression that flashed firmware is still not considered "online safe" as even connecting to LIVE with a retail game in the drive of a flashed firmware drive would get you banned.

2) It's my understanding that, in order to do things like hack textures in a game, you would need more than just a flashed firmware drive. Does this not negate this option for me all together as this is my intent in the first place. My aim is to mod games, not play backups (unless the backups would somehow allow me to mod them first before I repack/reburn them, which I believe is possible).

#4 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,807 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE(J8son @ May 5 2011, 02:09 PM) View Post

So, your saying that since a JTAG is offline only (which leaves this option out for me as I need XBL access) then flashing the firmware would allow me to play backups while still accessing XBL.

This brings up two questions in my mind:

1) I was under the impression that flashed firmware is still not considered "online safe" as even connecting to LIVE with a retail game in the drive of a flashed firmware drive would get you banned.

2) It's my understanding that, in order to do things like hack textures in a game, you would need more than just a flashed firmware drive. Does this not negate this option for me all together as this is my intent in the first place. My aim is to mod games, not play backups (unless the backups would somehow allow me to mod them first before I repack/reburn them, which I believe is possible).

1. With the latest firmware and a proper backup you are as safe as safe can be. However you will never be SAFE!

2. There is no game modding of any kind without a JTAG. If you want to hack games then you will need a console that can be JTAG. This of course would be forever an OFFLINE only console.

It used to be that no good lowlife piece of shits could use a JTAG and hack a game to cheat of Live but thankfully that has been put to a stop last fall.

#5 x Yo1nK x

x Yo1nK x

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ May 5 2011, 11:29 AM) View Post

It used to be that no good lowlife piece of shits could use a JTAG and hack a game to cheat of Live but thankfully that has been put to a stop last fall.

i'd personally have to say that the cheating on Live wasn't the problem it was the sales of said cheating on Live that really pissed the real homebrew community off. the jump in the sales of JTAGs went up pretty feirce as well.

OT: for modding games JTAG is preferable, however the only way to actually maintain your full online functionality would be to have another retail console strictly for Live. I love my JTAG for the nostalgia of the OG games.
There is also other modding like gamesaves and stuff like that but it seems that you want bigger and better so in conclusion, JTAG.
-x Yo1nK x

#6 J8son

J8son

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:10 PM

My primary goal in most of my modding projects is texturing hacking (IE: creating my own custom characters by applying new textures to current models).

Are you saying that this is ONLY possible with a JTAG? Couldn't I somehow edit the ISO with my custom textures and burn a backup (IE: utilizing the flashed firmware method, thus retaining online support)?

Am I also to assume that playing backups online (IE: a backup with hacked textures in an online lobby of some kind is still out of the question)?

#7 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • 7,807 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE(J8son @ May 5 2011, 03:10 PM) View Post

Are you saying that this is ONLY possible with a JTAG? Couldn't I somehow edit the ISO with my custom textures and burn a backup (IE: utilizing the flashed firmware method, thus retaining online support)?

You change so much as one bit of code on any game file you break games ability to load on anything but a JTAG.

#8 J8son

J8son

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:54 PM

Texturing Hacking = JTAG - Online Support = Offline Console For Modding Only.

Basically, I can't do what I want to do regarding modding/texture hacking without a JTAG, thus since I still require online support and JTAG negates this, this isn't really an option for me at this point (given everything I want to do).

That it in a nut shell?

#9 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • 7,807 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE(J8son @ May 5 2011, 05:54 PM) View Post

That it in a nut shell?