X4life3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:51 PM

Hi have an old CPU fan just sitting in my cabinet and I figured I might as well use it. But i dont know where exactly to put it, what would be the best place to put a fan on an old xenon mobo?

#2 TheBigB

TheBigB

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:05 PM

I can't help you and say where to put it, but I have to warn you that if you happen to put it in a really bad place, it can in fact make the cooling worse than without it.

#3 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:40 PM

There is no need to add an extra fan to the Xenon, or even mod the fanspeed...

All they need is to make sure the board isn't being flexed AND modify the shroud so most air goes through the GPU Heatsink:

IPB Image

The CPU never dies so it can run hot, if the CPU reaches 75-80C the fans will speed up and cool it down. The increased air forced over the GPU should keep it running in the mid 40's.

#4 X4life3

X4life3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:52 AM

Hmm, ok thanks. And is that duct tape?

#5 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 05:00 PM

Yup, and that's a clear piece of plastic over the GPU HS. You may have seen other shroud mods with a cardboard piece inside (under the shroud between the fans), you DO NOT want that piece with this particular mod.

Edited by relaxxx, 07 May 2011 - 05:02 PM.

#6 masterofpuppets

masterofpuppets

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:36 AM

A second gen gpu hs and some good thermal paste would also help.

#7 RandyBear

RandyBear

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE(TheBigB @ May 6 2011, 06:05 PM) View Post

I can't help you and say where to put it, but I have to warn you that if you happen to put it in a really bad place, it can in fact make the cooling worse than without it.

LOL that sounds ominous. It's true though. The Xbox is only designed to suck air out of it through the exhaust fans. I have a simple analogy that shows this. Take a good look at the Xbox case, and imagine putting a little hole in the top of it, sticking in a plastic tube, and blowing in it. Then imagine where the air will go, - out all the ventilation holes and nowhere near the heatsinks. What would make it worse though is if the air went straight to the exhaust fans, bypassing the heatsinks.

Most people put the fan right above, or partially above the heatpipe extension on the GPU heatsink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users