8 replies to this topic

#1 Medobear

Medobear

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:34 AM

Here's a summary of the story so far~

I modded my own xbox and everything went fine. Some time later a friend came to me with his 1.6 and asked if I could do the same for him. We soldered the chip in and the system was able to boot and play games normally or boot to the FlashBios screen. I believe we unlocked the hard drive right away, then I tried flashing the chip with M8+ (verified the MD5 against http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=43437) as a "ROM = "Evox M8+ v1.6",0x58b8782501983725f984499620ca342b". The system filled 2 progress bars, shut down, then started 3x booting -> FRAG.

I'm currently under the impression that the bios was either the incorrect version for this xbox / modchip, or something happened during the transfer (bad media or something along those lines). Is there any way to recover from this? Do I need to replace the modchip or is there a way for me to flash it again using another method? I apologize for leaving out any relevant info as this is my first post.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(Medobear @ May 7 2011, 08:34 AM) View Post
I believe we unlocked the hard drive right away

Unlikely, but if you did then that's a very bad idea until the Xbox is actually working.

Can you boot from the other bank on the DuoX2?

#3 Medobear

Medobear

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for the quick response~

I hooked the xbox back up and had a look at what was going on and I've got 2 hard drives involved in this project. The 10gb that came in the system has not been unlocked or touched, I took it out before installing an 80gb that already had dashboards and whatnot on it (the 80gb is out of the system, we can just ignore it for now). If I switch to the other bank and power on using eject I get normal unmodded xbox functionality, but powering on using the power button gives no video and a solid red light. I just realized that if I switch to the cromwell bank, boot using power then press eject it goes from red to yellow to green then brings up the xbox linux cromwell 2.32 screen and tries to read from the dvd drive. Is there a way to wipe the bad flash and perhaps get another try from here? I'm excited to see a new screen, I hope I can get this sorted out smile.gif

Edit:

As I poke around I'm seeing some possible solutions, would I need to follow this procedure or a similar one? http://arisme.free.fr/Xbox/Reflash/ Could you possibly recommend a more recent utility to clear the eeprom?

Edited by Medobear, 07 May 2011 - 05:23 PM.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 05:39 PM

You might want to wait for one of the Xbox Linux / Cromwell experts to give you some alternatives, but here's what I would do.

You need to build a flashing disk that will work from a Cromwell BIOS. I'd start with Gentoox, but add a copy of X2.5035 (1.6) as the BIOS. You'll need to do some reading to work out how to name the BIOS, and where to put it.

Once you have that, boot your Xbox with Cromwell, then SWITCH THE CHIP TO THE OTHER BANK - the one that currently has the non-working BIOS on it. That way when you flash the chip you should leave the Cromwell BIOS untouched so you can still boot if something goes wrong.

Edit: Your link is useless in your circumstance. You don't need to reflash your eeprom, you need to reflash your chip.

Edited by Heimdall, 07 May 2011 - 05:41 PM.

#5 Medobear

Medobear

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 05:55 PM

Sorry for the confusion, I think the first install went so smooth I must have not understood what exactly was taking place. Would I be better off posting this in a more specific section? I appreciate the help, this has been driving me nuts for a week!

Edited by Medobear, 07 May 2011 - 05:56 PM.

#6 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 05:58 PM

Your post is fine here, but if it isn't then a mod will move it. smile.gif

Edited by Heimdall, 07 May 2011 - 06:12 PM.

#7 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:40 PM

If you can only boot cromwell, do as suggested, use Resctoox. It should setup an open FTP and allow you to copy over a bios and flash with out too much effort (from what i remember).

#8 Medobear

Medobear

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:31 PM

I'm curious about 2 things-

What is it safe to do with the console powered on? Can I actually throw the bank selection switch after booting into cromwell to change which 512k the flash will apply itself to even when using an ftp util?

What size bios should I be using in this case? The chip is a 2x512k, does that mean I'm still ok using a 256k .bin?

#9 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:42 PM

Yes.

No, you need a 512k BIOS. As I said earlier, use X2.5035 (1.6)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users