26 replies to this topic

#1 Marcheslav

Marcheslav

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:53 AM

Do you necessarily need the dvd drive and correct hdd to install a modchip to a board and have it boot up and work?

#2 Marcheslav

Marcheslav

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:11 AM

sorry for the self bump, i should mention that the reason why i am asking about this is because i have a few boards that had the hdd reformatted and i would keep getting an error code upon booting.

#3 neoxalucard

neoxalucard

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:14 AM

Unless you have flashed BIOS to the mod chip you need the DVD and harddrive. You can modify the BIOS to boot without a DVD dive though. Idk about removing the harddrive though.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:09 AM

I'm not sure that's entirely true as described. There's no reason why FlashBIOS would check for the hard drive or the DVD, and so long as you used the network to flash a hacked BIOS that bypassed the DVD check you should be fine. However, you would then need a hard drive to build a working Xbox, and unless you installed an X3 / Smartxx chip you would need a DVD drive to allow you to boot an installation disc and build your new hard drive. So, the short answer is you would need a DVD drive to complete the installation, and a hard drive to install the dashboard onto. smile.gif

On second thoughts, that's also not entirely true. You could do the whole thing without a DVD drive, by flashing a DVD check bypass BIOS, then using xboxhdm to build the new hard drive.

#5 Marcheslav

Marcheslav

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:23 AM

Well i have plenty of dvd drives and i have a 500gb that i want to install. Also i would be using the Duo x gs that i ordered from litspliff. ( I hope it is there when I get home from work lol)

#6 neoxalucard

neoxalucard

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ May 10 2011, 09:09 AM) View Post

I'm not sure that's entirely true as described. There's no reason why FlashBIOS would check for the hard drive or the DVD, and so long as you used the network to flash a hacked BIOS that bypassed the DVD check you should be fine. However, you would then need a hard drive to build a working Xbox, and unless you installed an X3 / Smartxx chip you would need a DVD drive to allow you to boot an installation disc and build your new hard drive. So, the short answer is you would need a DVD drive to complete the installation, and a hard drive to install the dashboard onto. smile.gif

On second thoughts, that's also not entirely true. You could do the whole thing without a DVD drive, by flashing a DVD check bypass BIOS, then using xboxhdm to build the new hard drive.

Does every Duo come with flashbios? Aside from all that, the easiest way to get the system up and running is with a DVD drive and Hard Drive. Plain and simple.

#7 Marcheslav

Marcheslav

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:26 PM

HDD's have all been formatted so it is almost impossible to get them back and running without a pre chipped box and i believe the white duo x's have flashbios on one bank.

Edited by Marcheslav, 13 May 2011 - 06:33 PM.

#8 Marcheslav

Marcheslav

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:49 AM

Okay So i got the chip installed and all that good stuff and my question is how do i get a new HDD in there? would i have to build one With Xbox HDM or could i just use the chip and flash a bios that doesn't check for the HDD

#9 Marcheslav

Marcheslav

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:24 AM

Sorry for all the self bumps but whatever biggrin.gif

Should i just flash a bios on there and then boot AID and then build a new hdd?

#10 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:57 PM

Flash the BIOS.

Install the new drive, boot with HeXEn or AID, build the new disk. HeXEn forces you to use XBPartitioner 1.1 so you don't forget. smile.gif

#11 Marcheslav

Marcheslav

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:51 PM

Okay so one last question: will i get error codes when i try to boot after i flash the new bios? I am flashing the x2 5035. or will it just boot all fine and load AID (i made this before this thread tongue.gif) then i will build the new drive?

And thanks for the help Heimdall you have helped me before and you are like a damn encyclopedia, its freaking awesome

Edited by Marcheslav, 15 May 2011 - 05:52 PM.

#12 Marcheslav

Marcheslav

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:09 PM

A quick update, i flashed the x2 bios and it gives me a hdd error and when i connect hdd that is empty it looks for the xecuter 2 config which isnt there because the hdd is empty

Edited by Marcheslav, 15 May 2011 - 07:35 PM.

#13 Marcheslav

Marcheslav

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:30 AM

okay so i went to dinner and came back and tried to connect a sata drive with an adapter and when i try to boot it frags plus the previous posts problem

http://www.dealextre...pter-card-12537
that is the adapter

#14 Marcheslav

Marcheslav

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:47 AM

any ideas anyone?

#15 turfster

turfster

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:Music, Golf, and fixing electronics
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:58 AM

Did you put a AID, hexen or slayers disc in and try booting to the disc, format hd, build hd, apps etc....? Try the hd you had in previous and remove the sata adapter one, see if the disc boots up so you can rebuild the hd.

If you try the sata adapter set adapter as Cable select pins 1-3 on this card with the included jumper. Maybe that will help the hd be recognized.

Edited by turfster, 19 May 2011 - 01:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users