• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rizwaan

rizwaan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:36 AM

Just had a question about this and other XBOX related things.... very new at this type of stuff.

So from what I heard, this is a new dvd that won't allow games to be ripped, or burnt, and thus not playable on flashed XBOX 360's, correct?

If I'm looking to get it flashed should I probably wait for a bit?

Also, if I get it flashed, do I have to get an updated if I don't play on live? Or will the flash be okay to use for backups in the future? Most people charge for updates for 360's that are flashed before, if I get it flashed from someone, can I just update it myself if need be?

Once again, sorry if this is the wrong section, and thank you for your help!

Edited by rizwaan, 10 May 2011 - 09:52 AM.

#2 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:24 AM

Information about XDG3 is presently sparse. More information will likely be forthcoming in the next few weeks and months. Most speculation is that the new format will not prevent creating and running backups of games.

If you have a console that you want flashed and you want to use the latest dashboard, I would definitely recommend that you wait. If you aren't worried about playing on the latest dash, the most recent firmware should hold you over until a newer firmware is released.

It's possible to update the drive yourself, but some drives require specific hardware. You will likely need to spend some money (either a small or moderate amount) in order to flash the drive.

#3 rizwaan

rizwaan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE(Aldanga @ May 10 2011, 05:24 AM) View Post

Information about XDG3 is presently sparse. More information will likely be forthcoming in the next few weeks and months. Most speculation is that the new format will not prevent creating and running backups of games.

If you have a console that you want flashed and you want to use the latest dashboard, I would definitely recommend that you wait. If you aren't worried about playing on the latest dash, the most recent firmware should hold you over until a newer firmware is released.

It's possible to update the drive yourself, but some drives require specific hardware. You will likely need to spend some money (either a small or moderate amount) in order to flash the drive.

I don't play LIVE really at all, so does the latest dashboard effect that? I heard that when there is a new dashboard, the flash won't work on newer games?

I know I have to spend a few bucks to flash the drive, but how often do you have to update it would you say?

#4 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:13 PM

If you connect to LIVE at all, your console will require an update. In order to stay on an older dashboard version you will need to not connect to LIVE.

The newest dashboard has been reported to flash drive firmware. It has also been reported that drives with custom firmware are prevented from updating until they have been flashed back to stock firmware.

The forthcoming protections will be impossible to get around until new firmware is released which circumvents these protections.

The firmware needs to be updated only as often as new firmware is released. This varies from a few months to much longer. No one can say for sure what the future will hold in regard to the releases of firmware.

#5 rizwaan

rizwaan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE(Aldanga @ May 10 2011, 01:13 PM) View Post

If you connect to LIVE at all, your console will require an update. In order to stay on an older dashboard version you will need to not connect to LIVE.

The newest dashboard has been reported to flash drive firmware. It has also been reported that drives with custom firmware are prevented from updating until they have been flashed back to stock firmware.

The forthcoming protections will be impossible to get around until new firmware is released which circumvents these protections.

The firmware needs to be updated only as often as new firmware is released. This varies from a few months to much longer. No one can say for sure what the future will hold in regard to the releases of firmware.

And to flash back to stock, do you have to open up the system or can that be done by myself for instance?

Would you suggest I wait for a while before getting my 360 flashed then?

#6 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:52 PM

Flashing the drive requires the console to be opened whether a custom firmware or stock firmware is being flashed. You can do this yourself, of course, but you can also have it done by someone who mods consoles for a price.

Given the rumors about the new dashboard update coming in the next 10-20 day, I would recommend waiting. A lot can change in that short of time and getting stuck in the middle of such uncertainty is never enjoyable.

#7 rizwaan

rizwaan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:46 PM

Thanks for the help bud.

I'll wait for a bit before I go for it.

It won't let me edit the first post since it's XGD3, and not XDG3.

Edited by rizwaan, 10 May 2011 - 09:53 PM.

#8 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:52 PM

Happy to help. smile.gif

#9 rizwaan

rizwaan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:55 AM

I have another related questions so I thought i would put it in the same thread.

Let's say I need a flash update because a new dashboard came out....

Does that mean I cannot play any back up games before that dashboard came out? Or just after it came out?

For example, new update comes out in June, I have games before June, those will work fine, but games that come out after June will not, correct?

Will the original for that game work? Or would it be both backups/originals that will not work after a new update came out?

#10 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:58 AM

We have no absolute way of knowing at this point. Since MS is flashing new firmware to drives, it's likely that you will need the new firmware in order to play games, original and backup, on the new dashboard.

However, like I said, we do not know anything for sure. Details have not yet been released. We will know more when the final dashboard beings to roll out.

#11 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,808 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:30 PM

If you install the new dashboard when it comes out you wont be able to play backups anymore but retail game disks should work just fine with the new firmware the dashboard will flash to the drive.

You will likely be able to flash back the custom firmware which will let you play backups again but may not be able to play any new format disks retail or backup. You also wont be able to install any future dashboard updates without first flashing the new stock firmware back to the drive. Pretty sure a new future custom firmware should be able to resolve this however.

Your best bet is to keep and eye on the update faq HERE.

#12 rizwaan

rizwaan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:46 AM

Thank you both guys for your help.

The new dashboard is supposed to be out at the end of May correct?

#13 X4life3

X4life3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:57 AM

I believe it is may 19th so in the next 2 days its to start.

#14 rizwaan

rizwaan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:38 PM

Hello again... some new questions for you guys for stuff I don't understand at all..

What is LT stand for? What's LT + 1.1 and what is LT 2.0 that's supposed to come out?

What is JTag exactly?

Has there been any new info on the new disc type (XGD3), and since the dashboard update came out, would you guys recommend I flash my 360 now, or wait a little longer?

Thanks guys for all your help

#15 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,808 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE(rizwaan @ May 27 2011, 04:38 PM) View Post

Hello again... some new questions for you guys for stuff I don't understand at all..

What is LT stand for? What's LT + 1.1 and what is LT 2.0 that's supposed to come out?

What is JTag exactly?

Has there been any new info on the new disc type (XGD3), and since the dashboard update came out, would you guys recommend I flash my 360 now, or wait a little longer?

Thanks guys for all your help

I would suggest you start reading the pinned topics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users