#1 whickwire

whickwire

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:29 PM

Hello I'm looking to set my mother up on my old XBOX so she can stream media from the downstairs computer. I've done some looking around and found that I will need a wireless bridge or router with dd-wrt. I'm leaning towards the router option and am interested in the one in the following link: http://cgi.ebay.ca/L...#ht_12347wt_905

Just to recap my setup will be as follows

- represents ethernet
~ represents wireless

PC ---------- Dlink DIR-825 ~~~~~~~ Linksys WRT54GS2 (w/ dd-wrt) -------------- XBOX 1

My questions is will this work?

Secondly will it be possible to use WPA 1/2 or will my network security have to be WEP?

And lastly will the shares need to be SMB on XBMC or can they just connect to my UPNP server (TVersity)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is no doubt a budget conscious option as I've seen how much other wireless bridges go for. Thanks again.

EDIT: would this work http://www.newegg.ca...E16833156159CVF

Edited by whickwire, 11 May 2011 - 08:43 PM.

#2 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:19 PM

It should work with the dlink router. If the other one is dd-wrt compatible, it might work as well. I use such a setup very often. You will need a script in the wireless client that pings the router at regular intervals to keep the link alive. This problem has been discussed here before.

There used to be a upnp client and server in xbmc, but they were buggy. The xbox also doesn't support multicast on it's network adapter. Maybe things have improved since.

WPA shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by obcd, 11 May 2011 - 11:22 PM.

#3 whickwire

whickwire

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:32 PM

Apparently my D-link DIR-825 is supported with dd-wrt firmware. Though just to clarify my intention was to use the D-link with stock firmware and the Linksys WRT54GS2 with the dd-wrt firmware. Is this suitable for my intentions?

Pertaining to the wireless script is this needed by default for any such setup like the one I'm referring to or is it on a case by case basis? Furthermore if such a script is needed is there a guide I can use because it doesn't sound easy? laugh.gif

TIA.

#4 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:51 AM

The dlink can remain on stock firmware as it's simply used as access point.
The linksys should have dd-wrt or Tomato firmware so that it can be used as Wireless Client.
This is a mode of operation you normally don't find in the stock firmware.

I noticed on such a setup that after a period of inactivity, the device connected to the wireless could not be pinged anymore. Sometimes you lost 1 or 2 pings, or the reply came very slow after which the system act normal again. For that reason, I wrote a little script on the wireless Client so that it pings it's access point every couple of minutes. This kept things running fine.

A while ago, someone had the same kind of problems and asked about it, also in the newby section I think. I provided him the script and it fixed his problem as well.

Is it really necessairy, I don't know. It doesn't hurt to have it in.

So, if you search on this forum for my replies, you will find all the details you need.

#5 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:56 PM

i use a " Linksys WGA54G Wireless-G Game Adapter "
I connected it to my pc via an ethernet cable, then i inserted the cd and opend the setup program.
I assigned it the ip adress 192.168.1.69
and the default gateway 192.168.1.254
The defaultgate way is my wirless router "speed touch brand "
that is connected to my phone line and pc.
This is the default gatway all my pc's need if they want a internet connection. it is also the address i type in to my Web browser to view my router setup page. Yours may be diferent.

I then connected the Linksys game adapter to my xbox via the ethernet cable. and setup the ip adresses for the xbox.

The xbox i set up by changing it from dhcp mode to static, I then hit save and restarted the xbox.
I then changed the xbox's ip adress to192.168.1.70
The xbox's default gateway I set to 192.168.1.69
Again i saved then restarted xbox
this Works for networking and streaming.

I have had no need for any sort of scripting and other sort of stuff.
I used Hexen intaller to update my xbox from my old evox hotswap mod.
before i did the update I connected my xbox to the network via a crossover cable attached to a pc whioch was connected to the internet via wirless. In that isnatnce the default gatway i used for the xbox was 192.168.1.254 This allowed internet access.

I could feesably set my default gateway on the xbox thats connected the the linksys game adapter to 192.168.1.254 which would also give it internet access but it has no need to be on the iinternet and there for i asigned it a gateway that was not internet enabled.

hope that helps

Edited by shambles1980, 14 May 2011 - 06:09 PM.

#6 Talonh

Talonh

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE(whickwire @ May 11 2011, 05:32 PM) View Post

Apparently my D-link DIR-825 is supported with dd-wrt firmware. Though just to clarify my intention was to use the D-link with stock firmware and the Linksys WRT54GS2 with the dd-wrt firmware. Is this suitable for my intentions?

Pertaining to the wireless script is this needed by default for any such setup like the one I'm referring to or is it on a case by case basis? Furthermore if such a script is needed is there a guide I can use because it doesn't sound easy? laugh.gif

TIA.

I'm running a similar setup with a Linksys WRT54gl connected to the Xbox. The backend router shouldn't matter. I would probably recommend the WRT54gl over the WRT54GS2 as it's easier to add DD-WRT, has more memory and can be reverted back to stock. It costs a bit more, but would be worth it over the long haul.

The key for streaming is to use a Client bridge and avoid WDS. I initially had a WDS setup and would suffer dropouts and disconnects when streaming media. Using client bridge I have had a very solid experience. Samba has worked very well for me, when I attempted Tversity ages ago I had nothing but trouble. I also haven't needed to use a ping script, but I do have multiple systems connected to the network which means there is nearly constant Windows network activity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users