• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 guitarjerry

guitarjerry

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:58 AM

Ok. So I've tried a few SNES emulators, and so far the one with the best sound is the snes9xbox v1.42 WIP 2004. The newer Snes9x v1 and Snes9x v2 don't quite get it right, and neither does Zsnexbox.

Super NIntendo is my favorite platform, and I especially like the sound. I think the problem is that these emulators try to take the original sound, which is like 22000 (khz, I think) and change it to 32000 or more through filtering/adding harmonics to try and get rid of the "scratchiness" of the sound, but this makes it so you can barely, barely hear the harmonies and other parts of the sound.

I think the sound is supposed to be a little "scratchy", its the surrealism of the sound that makes it good, not the quality IMO. By the way, I do have good hearing, I'm the only person I know who can hear the difference between a 128 kbps mp3 and 192 kbps and above.

Now the problem is that I like Snes9x v1 and v2 because they look better, especially on an HD tv, and they are smoother/quicker.
The old xsnes9xbox v1.42 has minor slowdowns/choppy graphics at times. Also, I don't mind having the feature to play other music files while playing, although I haven't really used it yet.

Snes9x v1 and v2 don't even have options to change the sound.
So, is there another option out there, or way to do this, or do I have to choose between better picture and better sound each time I play? (which is annoying copying over gamesaves every time)

#2 Barbie_on_Weed

Barbie_on_Weed

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:53 AM

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=730612

A real Super Nintendo use 32000 khz for sound.

Edited by Barbie_on_Weed, 17 May 2011 - 02:58 AM.

#3 guitarjerry

guitarjerry

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:19 AM

what I posted above: my theory how it works. Thats why I said I think its 22000 khz I didn't know the exact figure.

The point I was making that the older emulator sounds better to me, and I can't get the newer ones to sound quite the same.
Like i said, some of the lower harmonies aren't quite loud enough to be heard well enough.

Maybe I should go to above site and ask for more adjustable features to the sound?

Edited by guitarjerry, 17 May 2011 - 07:20 AM.

#4 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:06 AM

Try snes9x 1.52 (or 1.53) on the PC and let us know how the new one sounds to you. It is the latest version with source available and uses a totally new sound engine. Alot of the aforementioned sound options were removed.

As for lack of sound options x-port did not really "hook up" many of the options when he did this. It was mostly an internal release he did for himself (out of respect for zsnesxbox) but he released the source for it the same time as all his other emulators. In fact in v1 the software filters (video) did not even work properly and it had a few other issues as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users