• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gustan

gustan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:29 PM

Is it possible, or is the dvd exploit the only way to get it working? I'm 100% sure Jtag won't work.

#2 gustan

gustan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE(gustan @ May 18 2011, 07:29 PM) View Post

Is it possible, or is the dvd exploit the only way to get it working? I'm 100% sure Jtag won't work.

So I take it isn't possible yet?

#3 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:31 AM

There hasn't been a softmod for any 360 since the King Kong shader exploit was fixed.

#4 ruciz

ruciz

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:30 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ May 24 2011, 12:31 AM) View Post

There hasn't been a softmod for any 360 since the King Kong shader exploit was fixed.

What is softmodding exactly? preforming a modification while keeping the the 'warranty seal' in tact - or is it modifying the software to gain control of the system?

-Hitachi BenQ Samsung and now phat LiteOn drives do not require hardware modification to preform. to me these are so called, 'softmods'. As MS recently shown, they can be overwrote too.

-If you are taking control of the system, as in kernel exploit, king kong shader has been the ONLY known exploit in the 360 system software. This required a DVD-ROM flash though, as the king kong shader exploit was useless without being able to follow it up with code to execute, which you needed a custom built king kong disc to do. After some time, you could use the SMC to boot it - still requiring additional hardware to be added to the system.

The DVD ROM modifications are welcome news for 360 slim owners as it DOES open the door should MS slip up again and forget to sign something smile.gif

Edited by ruciz, 18 August 2011 - 02:31 AM.

#5 No_Name

No_Name

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ May 23 2011, 04:31 PM) View Post

This is not actually correct.

The King Kong shader was one avenue to make use of the single exploit ever found on the 360.
That was closed with the 8XXX update which came well before the slim consoles did so it means that it was locked out from the exploit to start with.

#6 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:00 AM

And therefore my statement is actually correct - there has only ever been one software exploit found (using the KK shader), and that weakness was repaired by Microsoft a long time ago.

#7 No_Name

No_Name

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:20 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Aug 22 2011, 04:00 PM) View Post

And therefore my statement is actually correct

No... It was wrong.

You said and I quote
There hasn't been a softmod for any 360 since the King Kong shader exploit was fixed

You make out that there was only the KK shader exploit and after it was closed there was nothing else..

The KK exploit was actually the first attach vector on the only exploit ever found for the 360. The last attack vector for this exploit was the JTAG and now its closed there is no more exploit to make use off.

For you to have been correct you needed to say something like this
There hasn't been a softmod for any 360 since the JTAG exploit was closed with the 8XXX update

Edited by No_Name, 23 August 2011 - 12:22 AM.

#8 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:25 AM

No, JTAG isn't a softmod. KK was the only softmod, JTAG is a hardware attack that allows unsigned software to run. Hence my statement was correct, even if they both exploit the same weakness.

And the answer is still no! smile.gif

#9 No_Name

No_Name

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:41 AM

What about the timing attack :-P

I dont consider the JTAG to be hardware.. You might need to solder some stuff but its 99% a software attack.
There is no 'jtag mod chip'

Anyway yes NO! is the correct answer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users