Photo

Top 10 Reasons Why You Might Want A Trusty Xbox!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 pkbunghole

pkbunghole

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:22 AM

For those who might be interested in upgrading their xbox to a 1.4ghz 128mb board from trusty, I thought I would make a list of reasons why you might want to (i.e. the stuff out there that is really improved).

10. Quake 3 Arena

This might not be high on anyone elses list, but for me this was a great one to test, as you can actually play this online, without a ridiculous amount of lag and stuttering. This was an impressive port that really pushed the limits of the old box, having it on trusty box just makes it run a whole lot smoother.

9. CPX3

All of the annoying little slowdowns are eliminated (super moves, going high in the air etc.) as well as this, my skin "Jazzy NYC" works a whole lot smoother (the music used to stutter a little when the screenshot previews were on). As well as this, Red Earth works flawlessly with music.

8. HQ2X filter

This filter is the one that I find really gives games an "HD Remake" look when used in 720p, unfortunately it is CPU intensive. Not a problem (on 2D PSX games like LOMAX it looks stunning)!

7. Killer Instinct 2 in 720p with filters

C-C-C Combo Breaker

6. Eliminates frameskipping in CoinOPS

Everything 2D runs full framerate, even with the software filter enabled (Daraku Tenshi working properly, and crystal of kings, as well as Outrunners, and all of the later SEGA stuff etc.). A few early 3D games are working fullspeed aswell (Virtua Fighter, STUN runner etc.)

5. Everything loads faster

I am not the most patient person you will ever meet!! tongue.gif

4. Awesome milkdrop presets!!

I am sure most people wouldn't care about this, but i am a sucker for those crazy visualisations (BP posted a huge pack of them on XBMC website a few years back, but some were around 10fps on the stock xbox). I love having all my music on my xbox with full album art on display!

3. SUPER SMASH BROS!!

Super Smash Bros is fully playable as of surreal 5.4, as in; NO graphical glitches and NO slowdown in 4 player matches. I FUCKING LOVE IT! (you have to enable frameskip though, simply for the break the targets because otherwise they run too slow)

2. Huge PS1 Library

If you want PS1 gaming on your box to be a similar experience to SNES, Megadrive etc, then you NEED a trusty box! as long as the game doesnt have any compatibility issues it will work fullspeed with filters. (great for spyro 3, crash bandicoot 3, gran turismos, wipeout 3 etc etc etc)

1. The future

I am hoping that with the current revival that seems to be going on with the xbox scene that a developer mightget their hands on a trusty box, and I am excited to see what would happen then!! (NullDC?!?!?!) who knows. A lot more is certainly possible with this hardware. (I am still hoping for a mednafenX Virtualboy, I expect that would have a decent shot at working on stock xbox anyway...)

#2 Darknior

Darknior

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:41 AM

The problem is where found the material to do that and ... it is not really easy to do sad.gif

It is more easyer for us that all the xbox stuff were adapted to x360 !
But for the moment on x360 the emulators are not really kool ....

#3 weinerschnitzel

weinerschnitzel

X-S Senior Member

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:31 PM

I would never expect an emulator to be ported for the sole purpose of running on heavily upgraded machines. But, of course its nice to take advantage of such things. For example, AntiAliasing is a quick addition that a stock xbox can't handle under most circumstances.

I've heard negative things about XBOX game compatibility. The board was a few dollars more expensive than what I had anticipated. While it would be a fun toy, any draw backs tell me that I would use the xbox I've always been using.

Having said that, I do think I spend enough time with my xbox for it to be considered a worthy investment.

#4 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:19 AM

/me set's up donation page..

laugh.gif

#5 pkbunghole

pkbunghole

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:54 PM

^are you joking? because i would probably donate, i would love to see what you would do with one of these...

#6 Consoleman!

Consoleman!

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:29 AM

Top reason why you may NOT want a Trusty Xbox:

1. Too damn expensive.

$200+ for a minor speed improvement that only ~2% of your games can actually use isn't exactly the most economical use of one's money. There are just too many other things I'd rather have at that price point.

#7 pkbunghole

pkbunghole

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:37 AM

fair enough, if they don't interest you, but why even post about them? laugh.gif

#8 scorp316

scorp316

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:Surreal64
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE(weinerschnitzel @ May 23 2011, 09:31 AM) View Post

I would never expect an emulator to be ported for the sole purpose of running on heavily upgraded machines. But, of course its nice to take advantage of such things. For example, AntiAliasing is a quick addition that a stock xbox can't handle under most circumstances.

I've heard negative things about XBOX game compatibility. The board was a few dollars more expensive than what I had anticipated. While it would be a fun toy, any draw backs tell me that I would use the xbox I've always been using.

Having said that, I do think I spend enough time with my xbox for it to be considered a worthy investment.

I agree with you, Weinersch.

With the updates completed by the Surreal64 team for the next release of Surreal64 so far, it's too early to start "giving-up" on the stocked or even upgraded hdd xboxes when it comes to n64 emulation as it is still in development. happy.gif

But I got to admit......it would be awesome to have one of these heavily upgraded machines one day. wink.gif

Edited by scorp316, 25 May 2011 - 10:22 AM.

#9 Darknior

Darknior

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:03 PM

If we can dream ... i know the less expensive solution tongue.gif

It is that some one can made works xbox exploitation system on an e real PC !!!
Because if it is possible, we will have all the xbox feature (homebrew, emulators, etc ...) without memory limit !
The best for emultion !!!!

And the best for us because we can made little HTPC less expensive, and maybe also use X360 controler without wire if some one made driver for xbox wink.gif

It is a beautifull dream i think tongue.gif

OR .....

All the xbox 1 emulation stuff must be ported on x360 ... but at same !!!
Because the emulators on x360 have more power, but are really less user friendly and powerfull than xbox1 emulators lol
If a convertion is possible ... it will be the best and quick solution !

#10 Consoleman!

Consoleman!

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE(pkbunghole @ May 25 2011, 03:37 AM) View Post

fair enough, if they don't interest you, but why even post about them? laugh.gif

I'm pretty sure I have the right to speak my opinion here. Further, the price point for Trusty's modded board is quite steep for what you actually get in return. That's the only point I was making and it's a valid one.

#11 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE(Consoleman! @ May 25 2011, 06:29 AM) View Post

Top reason why you may NOT want a Trusty Xbox:

1. Too damn expensive.

$200+ for a minor speed improvement that only ~2% of your games can actually use isn't exactly the most economical use of one's money. There are just too many other things I'd rather have at that price point.

I agree (I don't have much free cash at the moment mad.gif ), but if other people want it then fine. Each to their own, though I'm with you on this.

Thankfully, the standard XBox is powerful enough to run almost every game I want emulated, and with the new versions of Surreal and MadMab's SNES emulator due to be released, things are about to get even better!

I am curious about how fast DOSBox is on the Trusty XBox though. Is it fast enough to run games like Carmageddon, Blood and System Shock?

#12 Consoleman!

Consoleman!

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE(Clockface @ May 25 2011, 10:41 AM) View Post

I agree (I don't have much free cash at the moment mad.gif ), but if other people want it then fine. Each to their own, though I'm with you on this.

Thankfully, the standard XBox is powerful enough to run almost every game I want emulated, and with the new versions of Surreal and MadMab's SNES emulator due to be released, things are about to get even better!

I am curious about how fast DOSBox is on the Trusty XBox though. Is it fast enough to run games like Carmageddon, Blood and System Shock?

What people ultimately decide is their own business. I just wanted to add some perspective to counter the shiny happy perspective a little bit. It's a very nice mod, but there's a lot of stuff in the $200 range that are more useful. Heck, you know the extra speed people are wanting for emulation? You could play all those games and more on one of those nifty HTPCs purchased with that $200+. Games not running well on Surreal64 and PCSX? Then go play them on PJ64 1.6 and epsxe. Problem solved.

On that you could also play full HD content, which you can't do on Trusty's Xbox. Throw on XBMC and a gaming GUI and you're good to go. With one of the quiet, low powered HTPCs, it could also serve as a freeware TIVO.

I also find Linux handheld devices like the Caanoo interesting since you'd be able to play many of the same Xbox emulators on the go or as something to do during power outages. You can get one of those for less than $130.

There are so many other emulation-related items I could talk about, but this post is already big enough as it is.

At the end of the day all that matters is whether or not you're happy with your purchase, and from what I can tell, those who have Trusty's board seem pretty happy after forking over the dough.

#13 pkbunghole

pkbunghole

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:15 PM

ah yes, my next emulation machine will be a HTPC with hyperspin, i can see that that is ultimately the best option, im gona have to fork out quite alot though as il want it to run pcsx2, supermodel and dolphin etc

#14 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE(Clockface @ May 25 2011, 10:41 AM) View Post

That would be interesting cause I know for a fact that Carmageddon runs like a dog. Even with the dynamic recompiler.. Although it is "almost" playable on the dynamic recompiler.

All those other options are nice but I still like my xbox and something like a trusty would extend it's life some more. The big thing for me (aside from the fact that I can tweak the code till my hearts content) is the consistent interface from app to app, 4 controllers, and the convenience of being able to move it around the house rather easily.

But it is true that over time the xbox will no longer be a practical machine to use.

#15 pkbunghole

pkbunghole

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:39 AM

hmm i got a day off work 2day, so i mite try some dosbox... i wonder if i could get rayman to work, its such a shame the ps1 version doesnt work on pcsxbox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users