Photo

Am I Being Cheated Or I Need Change My Drive?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jlbrd

jlbrd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:18 PM

Hello all!
This is my first post here, and after register i have been for a couple of hours reading this forum but did not found any answer to my problem.
I have an XBOX 360 with a HD 20GB bought in summer 2008, its a Falcon, but i am not sure if its the Elite or arcade version.
Anyways when i bought my xbox it was already modded to play backup games, which i never had any problems.
I moved to a new city then and i went one or two times to a shop so they could update my iextreme version, i think i stopped on 1.41. The last game i played was Batman Arkham Asylum.
Then for some health reasons, i put my xbox on a corner for the last year and half, and last weekend i decided to bring it back again to play with my kid.
However and as i suspected, the xbox cannot play any of the new games, from MW2 to red dead redemption, these backup games doesnt work...the xbox read them as a dvd..like a movie..
I went then to a new shop near my home, they try using the activate.iso dvd without success, and they told me that i needed to have a cd that came with the xbox, and without it they could not update my xbox to play those games. The only option they gave me was to change my cd/dvd drive of the xbox.
The truth is, i never had any cd with the xbox, and the shop who upgraded my xbox everytime wasnt the one who sold me the machine..they always updated without asking for any cd...
As a newbie i really appreciate if you can let me know if i am being cheated or its true that i dont have other option then to change the cd/dvd drive?
I

I am sorry for the long topic, but i want to describe the things in a way that can be easily understood.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Rammieone

Rammieone

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Xbox Live<br />Football <br />Computers
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:03 PM

You shouldnt need a new drive just the key from your current one flashed into a newer firmware

#3 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:14 PM

The guy you took it to does not know what he is doing. Stay away from him.

Your drive can be updated without any issue.

You can find people like me that do this all the time HERE.

#4 jlbrd

jlbrd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ May 23 2011, 11:14 PM) View Post

The guy you took it to does not know what he is doing. Stay away from him.

Your drive can be updated without any issue.

You can find people like me that do this all the time HERE.

I think the problem is that i dont have the key of my xbox, and then they cannot update it...but i dunno why need change the dvd drive...

#5 aswilbourn

aswilbourn

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Countries beginning with the letter L. <br />Cheese
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:23 PM

The key can be extracted from the Custom Firmware you already have on the drive so that is not an issue. As Ranger said earlier this guy obviously doesnt know what he's doing so get someone else to update it for ya.

#6 jlbrd

jlbrd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE(aswilbourn @ May 24 2011, 12:23 AM) View Post

The key can be extracted from the Custom Firmware you already have on the drive so that is not an issue. As Ranger said earlier this guy obviously doesnt know what he's doing so get someone else to update it for ya.

The thing is, they told me they needed 2-3 days to update the machine, then they called me after one day telling me they cannot update it..since i dont have the "cd who came with the modded xbox", they cannot retrieve the key and update so i can play mw2 and so on....
So the option is to change the cd/dvd drive...
I know i am maybe being joked by them, but honestly i dont understand about these matters, i just play and have fun with my kid.
Never thought that these could lead me to some kind of headache...

#7 Buzzcut

Buzzcut

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:02 PM

1/ 2-3 days - Rubbish, it takes about 5 minutes if you know what you're doing.

2/ They need the CD - I reckon they're talking about the drive key which is unique to every drive..some people give the key on a CD, some email it etc.

3/ If they want to give you another drive they'll still need the key from the old one....this however is completely unnecessary.

My advice would be get the box back (making sure it's still working with your old backups i.e. they haven't wiped the drive) and take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

#8 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:25 PM

Yes by all means get your console back from them. Tell them not to touch it at all. All this will result in is a bricked console or some other nasty scam they may be doing.

Even if they dont have the drive key it can be easily gotten from the drive.

Without a doubt there is something fishy going on here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users