• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JBones415

JBones415

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:36 PM

I apologize in advance for what may seem a total newbie issue but please bare with me. Had a company a few years ago mod my Xbox, chipped, 250gb hard drive installed and broken down into 4 partitions and is running off a old ( probably very old ) version of XBMC, I would assume at least 2-3 years ago. Boots directly into XBMC on start up..Currently hooked up and can access it via FTP.

I need to know where to / how to, install the new version.. Anyone have any advise or aware of any available tutorials on this? I greatly appreciate any help on this, been a video game collector for longer than I would like to admit but there is something special about Xbox1, truly the first Mod that made me go speechless..

JB

#2 oldtimer82

oldtimer82

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:- Networking<br />- Rigging Stuff<br />- Computer Repair<br />- Sciences<br />- Star Trek<br />- Gaming<br />- Anime
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:46 PM

PM me and I'll walk you though over chat or something.

It is fairly easy, depending upon where they placed the xbmc files.

All you pretty much need to do is reboot the Xbox, FTP into it.

Look for the directory that has default.xbe in it and copy the new version over this directory.

If you are concerned with losing personal data, i'd make a backup of the "userdata" folder before hand.

Let me know if this works out!

#3 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE(oldtimer82 @ May 24 2011, 03:46 PM) View Post
Look for the directory that has default.xbe in it and copy the new version over this directory.

Not good advice, for two reasons:
1. There could be loads of files called default.xbe, and the booting dash could be a shortcut called default.xbe - which you don't really want to replace.
2. You don't overwrite the original, you should delete or rename it, and start with a clean directory for XBMC.

So, you need to find your current XBMC installation by looking for the XBMC files and folders (not just default.xbe). If they are installed sensibly e.g. in E:\Apps\XBMC\, and the xbe file is called default.xbe, then you simply rename the current folder (e.g. E:\Apps\XBMCold\), create a new folder (e.g. E:\Apps\XBMC\) and use FTP to put the latest XBMC there.

However, if your XBMC installation is in the root of C or E, or if the xbe has a different name (e.g. C:\evoxdash.xbe), then you need to post details back here.

Edited by Heimdall, 24 May 2011 - 04:37 PM.

#4 JBones415

JBones415

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:33 AM

Just one of those days........ Thank you both as your instructions helped and I had it running... FOR A SHORT TIME.... Renamed old folder XB<C/OLD, new folder was XBMC1... Forgot to to change the XBMC1 to XMBC and rebooted the machine, now it is dead and stuck on the opening logo.. Obviously looking for the XBMC folder... Any way of getting to access the HD in the xbox to rename it to the correct name?????

#5 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:12 AM

Yes. You need to boot with a boot / install / rescue disc. Grab HeXEn (Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc), Frosty's Rescue Disc, Slayers or AID. Burn to DVD-R at 4x or slower, and cold boot. With HeXEn and Frosty's there's a file explorer you can use to rename the XBMC1 folder, or you can use FTP to do the renaming.

#6 JBones415

JBones415

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:19 AM

Thank for the help, I tracked down Slayers Evox 2.7 and Frostys rescue Disc.. Was able to ftp again and access my HD (250gb )... Was able to see all the partitions but could not see most of the files that were there before this nightmare started.. SO, out of shear stupidity I tried Slayers 2.7, saw a option to install xbox, evow and apps... Waited 1-2 hours, it finishes and yes, I can boot up XBMC again... But still when I ftp into the HD, I cant see all the files.. Cant find where it put the XBMC program so I can upgrade it to the new verision which is why and how I got into this mess.

I guess at this point I just need to know if there is a tutorial around or if anyone know what I should do. I am thinking that if I just format the HD and start from scratch that would be best, but I truly dont know what I would need to do or how to get it done.. My system is hard modded so not sure if that means anything in the big picture..

I apprecaite all the help as finding knowledgable people on this system is not always so easy, obviously the world has moved onto the new systems of the world but I just dont want to let this one die..

JB

#7 poonation

poonation

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:51 AM

Here is the guide for future reference.

from XBMC4XBOX.com

Edited by poonation, 26 May 2011 - 06:52 AM.

#8 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:11 AM

There's a simpler version. Grab HeXEn, and follow these simple instructions.

#9 JBones415

JBones415

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:49 AM

Well, 3 sleepless nights later and I am happy to say that with all of your help it has a heartbeat.. Was able to update to new release and installer is advising that all has been done successful.. Only remaining problem now is that it is booting directly to MS dash and I cant get it boot directly into XBMC.. Is this something I need to do with a new file as I dont see a option on Hexan or XBMC installer that makes XBMC the dedault dash. I see that Slayer 2.7 gives the option but I think running that will over ride my update and after all that is how I got in this mess...

Thanks again all, your amazing

#10 poonation

poonation

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:35 PM

As per my original link.... wink.gif

As a Dashboard

XBMC can be run as the default dashboard of the Xbox. That means that it is the first application that gets loaded when you turn on the Xbox. With an FTP Server, XBE launch function, and easy to use design, not to mention its unparalleled ability as a media center, XBMC is a great option as a dash. There are at least three different ways to install XBMC as a dashboard.
[edit]Option 1 - Using the Team XBMC Shortcut.xbe (Recommended)
Team XBMC recently developed their own Shortcut tool. It comes in 2 “flavors”:
OpenXDK (source and pre-compiled binary available in SVN)
MS XDK (only source available in SVN)
Download link to pre-compiled OpenXDK: Shortcut XBE.
As a precaution you should have a bootable rescue disc with a ftp enabled dashboard on it at hand if anything goes wrong (See below).
Both versions work in the same manner:
Find out the filename of your current dashboard (i.e C:\evoxdash.xbe for the Evox dashboard): That is the dashboard your Xbox is booting. (this will usually be either "c:\evoxdash.xbe", "e:\dash\default.xbe" or "e:\dashboard\default.xbe". Softmod users should note that "c:\xboxdash.xbe" is very likely the boot trigger for their softmod, as is NOT to be messed with).
Rename your current dashboard to an alternate bootable name. This will be used as a fallback if execution of the new shortcut fails (depending on your mod - most softmods will not fallback in this way. If using a softmod, make sure you've got your EEPROM data backed up before messing with the system boot files). Consult the table below, or www.xbox-scene.com for details on your dash.
Download the XBMC Shortcut XBE from the link above and rename it to whatever the dash was named (usually evoxdash.xbe)
Upload the renamed Shortcut XBE (i.e. evoxdash.xbe) to where the old dash was (Usually the root of the C: drive). The Shortcut XBE is now effectively your dashboard(!)
Install XBMC as a regular application to somewhere on E: or F: (for example, E:\Apps\XBMC) (Instructions on how to install XBMC can be found under Installing XBMC as an Application)
Create a text file on your computer with the same name as your renamed Shortcut XBE, except with the extension .cfg instead of .xbe (i.e. evoxdash.cfg) and put the path to the installed XBMC\default.xbe inside it (eg. E:\Apps\XBMC\default.xbe)
Upload the text file you just created to the same place you uploaded ShortcutXBE to in step 4. You should now have two files in your boot dash location. If your previous dashboard was Evox, These files will be named evoxdash.xbe and evoxdash.cfg. The .xbe is the shortcut XBE you just uploaded, the .cfg is the text file containing a path to XBMCs default.xbe
Reboot
Congratulations, now you are all set and don't need to alter the shortcut again, unless you change location of XBMC's default.xbe.
Please note that step 2 is optional. The actual fallback order is BIOS dependant. If you don't know what BIOS you are running, you're at risk. First try the xbe given by the .cfg file. Otherwise, the following filenames can be tried. But, the safest backup is to create a bootable rescue disc with a ftp enabled dashboard on it. See xbox-scene.com for details.
C:\avalaunch.xbe
C:\unleashx.xbe
C:\xbmc.xbe
C:\evoxdash.xbe
C:\xboxdash.xbe
C:\default.xbe
C:\msdash.xbe

#11 JBones415

JBones415

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:27 PM

I cant thank you enough for your time and patience with me on this rebuild but I am pleased to say that my Xbox1 is now running again on the newst build of XBMC, booting directly to XBMC..

Just one more quick question though, at the time I had my XBox 1 modded a few years ago, a 250gb HD was the only stable size working with the Xbox1, has that changed?

JB

#12 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:42 PM

Yes. With XBPartitioner 1.1, chimp2618 or LUD you can use drives up to 2TB.

FYI, HeXEn definitely has tools to make XBMC your default dash, and the post I linked to earlier explains how to do it. smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users