bigby

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:43 PM

I have been trying to upgrade from a 200GB IDE drive to a sata drive for awhile now. Tried 4 sata adapters (deal extreme ones) and 4 different sata drives. My Xbox has a Xecuter 2.6 mod chip and is a version 1.0 Xbox.

I have tried various versions of the AID disc installer and slayers 2.7 disc. None of the AID disc's load when using the sata drives, they do load with the IDE drive however. The slayers disc does load with the sata drives, and I attempt to build a new drive, but when I reboot I get a error 13.

Also tried the XboxHDM disc on my PC, built a new drive, but still will not work on the Xbox, error 13 again!

XboxHDM always shows the drives as frozen, when I select the generate HD key option, and it shows a summary page.

Have also tried setting the jumper to master and cable select (no jumper).

My modchip allows me to switch between two BIOS... BIOS 1 is X2 5035 and BIOS 2 is X2 4983.

#2 crusty_punk

crusty_punk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE("AfterDawn Forums")

13 - kernel - Dashboard launch fail (due to missing/bad key, or anything else that would prevent it from running) and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed.

The error it gives is because of the incompatibility between the (older) dashboard (4920) that older slayer cd installs and the new dashboard/kernel versions found in some new xbox's and found in xbox's that have been connected to xbox live (when you go on xbox-live, it'll upgrade your dashboard file to i believe it is now 5659.03. This dasboard is incompatible with the dash that (old) slayer cd installs (for example 2.5 or lower) for you.

(In detail, in the eeprom chip there is a kernel which is incompatible with the dashboard (4920) that slayer installs.)

So what do you do to fix it? You can use the dashupdate found on most new xbox games! Be sure to 1st unplug your ethernet cable before you do so!!!

Besides that, just use a good installation disc and all is fine. Use a 2.6 slayer or something similar

Have you tried the HeXeN disk?
Google "Heimdall's Xbox Engineering disc" (without the quotes) and see if that helps. Heimdall recommends a DVD-R, but I was able to run it off of a DVD+R.

I used a Halo 2 disk, went to xbox live and updated my dash to 5960. I believe that you can also use Mech Assault (or any xbox live game after Halo 2) to update your dash.

I have used the HeXeN disk to upgrade the hard drives in 2 xbox's and have had zero problems.

I hope that helped,
Josh

#3 bigby

bigby

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:05 AM

The Heimdall disc doesn't load either, when I have the sata drive connected. It does with the IDE drive connected. sad.gif

#4 crusty_punk

crusty_punk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:28 AM

while you have control of your xbox, put the HeXeN disk in, turn it off, replace the drive and see if that helps. The HeXeN disk works best as a boot disk rather that as a program or app. If that doesn't work then I'll have to pass off my half ass expertise to a more seasoned xboxer...

I wish you much luck in your adventure.
If you get it sorted out, please let us know how you did it, what parts you used etc.. in case anyone else hase a similar problem.

Thanks,
Josh

#5 bigby

bigby

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:55 AM

I've been cold booting all the time, but thanks for your help, that heimdall disc could be useful in future. smile.gif

I would be happy to explain how I got it all to work, if I ever get there tongue.gif

Edited by bigby, 26 May 2011 - 02:56 AM.

#6 bigby

bigby

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:47 PM

Tried setting the Samsung drive to sata I mode, using the ES-Tool. No luck mad.gif

Just realised this thread should of gone in General hardware, oops huh.gif

#7 bigby

bigby

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:37 PM

Got it all working!

It was suggested to me (thanks cbagy) that I try another HDD cable. tried an Asus HDD cable, a Asus CD Rom cable and another old grey cable I had lying around.

What worked for me was this other grey cable with the heimdall disc (thanks crusty_punk), which I was able to use to format a 1TB drive and have partitions F and G at around 460GB each. smile.gif

Curiously the AID discs did not load, only the heimdall disc. They do however load now, after installing the dash.

Hope this helps any others having similar problems.

#8 Marcheslav

Marcheslav

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:40 AM

Do you know what kind of cable and which adapter you used? I am having a very similar predicament biggrin.gif

#9 crusty_punk

crusty_punk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:43 AM

That HeXeN disk does wonders bruh!
Credit to Heimdall for the awesome disk.

#10 bigby

bigby

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:41 PM

I used this sata adapter - dealextreme adapter

The cable is a grey 80pin, which has "Cableplus" printed on it. The only difference I can see between the grey and the Asus cables is that the grey one has 30AWG and the Asus 32AWG. (Gauge).

The Asus one has "Comax" printed on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users