3 replies to this topic

#1 HaLo2FrEeEk

HaLo2FrEeEk

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:38 AM

I bought the Xbox 360 Slim + Kinect bundle, so I didn't get an adapter to plug it into an older-style Xbox...or a computer. I'm trying to make my own cable, but I'm worried the power supply I have won't work. I can't find good information anywhere about it, all I know is that it should be 12 volts. I have a 12 volt power supply from my old cable modem. On the plug itself is printed "Output: 12.0V (-)750mA", where the (-) is a funny little symbol with a long dash on top and three small dashes underneath it. Not sure what it means.

I think I recall reading somewhere that the Kinect requires 2 amps, so does this mean that my power supply won't work, since it's only rated for 750 mA, or is that rating just what the intended device will pull?

I don't want to harm my Kinect, but I really want to be able to plug it into my computer. Can anyone help me out?

#2 sowa99

sowa99

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:52 PM

This funny symbol is mean that output is DC.

You can not use your power supply, as you write, 750mA is not enough. But you can get 12V from molex or sata power cable from your PC and everything .nd this one will be working .

#3 HaLo2FrEeEk

HaLo2FrEeEk

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:26 AM

There won't be any issues getting the power from the computer? I remember when I was upgrading the harddrive in my original Xbox I had to use two different power plugs, one from the Xbox itself and the other from my computer. When I did this the output on the screen was all distorted. It was recognizable, it just had these odd scanlines all over it. And if I understand correctly, the ampere rating is a maximum that it can provide, meaning that if I had a power supply with 12V and 3 amps, that means that it's able to provide 3 amps if the load needs it, but it won't provide more than the load needs (meaning that using that power supply wouldn't fry my Kinect, since the Kinect only draws 2 amps) right?

Finally, would one molex cable be enough? I see that the kinect plug has 2 12V lines, would I need to use 2 different molex plugs, two different 12V lines, or could I simply use the one cable to provide both 12V lines, since it would be in parallel and not series.

#4 HaLo2FrEeEk

HaLo2FrEeEk

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:04 PM

I kinda need to know this information before I can continue making my adapter. Can I use the same molex plug to supply both 12V lines, since it'll be in parallel and I know the computer can handle the current. I just want to make sure before I do it and ruin my kinect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users