#121 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE(scorp316 @ Mar 19 2012, 09:58 PM) View Post

Ahh, okay. I saw it on ebay and thought this was some kind of bundle pak. Too bad the games didn't support rumble and save simultaneously. Thought the switch was to control the amount of rumble.

Thanks for the clarification of this pak. cool.gif

I have two combination paks; one is a battery powered unbranded pak with one memory bank and a rumble feature (I think it's unbranded, all it says on it is "WF Attitude"), and the other is a Gamester branded pak that doesn't use batteries (presumably it's EPROM based), with four memory banks and a rumble feature. On both, you can only have the rumble OR gamesave ability at any one time, the N64 cannot access both the rumble pack feature AND the memory bank simultaneously - both units have a switch on them that lets you choose whether the pak is at that time to function as a rumble pak or as a gamesave unit.

The Gamester unit has four memory banks, but you can only access one of the four at any one time (you choose which to use via it's inbuilt switch). I assume this is because the N64 is hardwired to only accept gamesave memory banks of one size (is it 128KB?), so the only way to have four times as much gamesave memory is to have four individual gamesave memory banks and make sure the N64 can only access one gamesave memory bank at any one time. The disadvatanges are of course that not only do you not know which memory bank has the gamesave you want at that time, so you have to cycle through the four until you find it, but also that if, for example, you need eight code pages to save a game, but none of the memory banks has eight pages free (even if together the number of free pages on the four memory banks totals way above eight) then you can't save on the pak.

Having four seperate memory banks is much better than just one of course, but it's a real pity that it's not one memory bank that's four times the size of the N64 standard memory bank.

#122 scorp316

scorp316

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:Surreal64
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE(Clockface @ Mar 22 2012, 07:58 AM) View Post
Having four seperate memory banks is much better than just one of course, but it's a real pity that it's not one memory bank that's four times the size of the N64 standard memory bank.

True. On Surreal64, the main issue I have with memory saves is that it is difficult to determine which save is for a certain game as these saves are coded under specific numbers and letters. Sure it is easy to delete them from the game itself, but what if I want to try out someone elses save and don't want to delete nor replace my own save. It's gonna be a pain searching for these coded saves. :/

It would be nice if the saves could be renamed to its proper title.
For example, for WWF No Mercy (which has three different pages of saves...i believe), the first page could be named WWF No Mercy1, the second one WWF No Mercy2, and the third page WWF No Mercy3.

But I think the game would have to be editted to read those saves. dry.gif blink.gif
This would make it a lot easier to find game saves. happy.gif

Edited by scorp316, 22 March 2012 - 09:23 PM.

#123 hedgecore

hedgecore

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:04 AM

I know this is an entry level noob question, but I just want to make sure. The auto Xbins program from team-xecuter is coming up as a virus with Microsoft security essentials when I went to download it (and apparently wiped it from my computer when I used to have it since the folder is empty). Is this just a false positive?

#124 Master13

Master13

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

I've always had that problem with my anti virus software. It either thinks its a suspicious file or its a virus. Don't worry as long as you got it from the official site you should be okay.

#125 hedgecore

hedgecore

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:25 AM

QUOTE(Master13 @ Apr 21 2012, 07:26 AM) View Post

I've always had that problem with my anti virus software. It either thinks its a suspicious file or its a virus. Don't worry as long as you got it from the official site you should be okay.

Alright cool... that's what I figured anyway. It's just a little intimidating seeing some big ass red window popping up telling you have a virus haha

Thanks!

#126 siudym

siudym

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:nes asm
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:47 PM

I have downloaded 5.5 and i'm looking for the best settings for games: Turok1, ShadowMan, Banjo-Tooie, Donkey Kong 64 and Doom 64. Regards smile.gif

#127 SSTG

SSTG

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:58 AM

Hi hopefully have the right place I've been having problems with surreal64 CE b5.5

been recently trying to transfer a save of goldeneye with cheats on to the emulator with no luck I've turned the file to eep so it left me wondering if the right directory was set so I set it to E drive since for some reason it was set to D

I reset back to basic defaults before setting the directory

though now it freezes at the rom selection if I try to go to the menu or try to launch a rom

tried completely removing the whole folder from the xbox and retransfering it with no change

is there a file outside i need to find to get surreal working again?

an older version I put on works just as well but I have the same problem with it trying to read the save file

any help would be appreciated

Edited by SSTG, 18 June 2012 - 06:00 AM.

#128 weinerschnitzel

weinerschnitzel

X-S Senior Member

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:08 PM

To clean up everything, delete your application folder and the XBOX save data in TDATA (E:\TDATA\64ce64ce\)

When you are importing saves, you will need to rename the save to the rom's CRC with each segment joined with a hyphen. Each save is in a folder based on the rom's 8 character CRC1 value. Surreal.ini is a great reference for these.

Model Format: ..\Saves\CRC1\CRC1-CRC2-REGION.EXTENSION

GoldenEye 007 EEP Save Example: ..\Saves\dcbc50d1\DCBC50D1-09FD1AA3-45.eep

This isn't very user friendly, but it holds the data without fear of FATX naming limitations.

#129 SSTG

SSTG

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:45 PM

Well that has helped CE.5 is working again now (thanks for that tip) but still trying to get the file to read weirdly I found a master save for golden eye on a site but when I transferred it it did work but it was'nt a master cheat

then I tried using a eep file from a pc emulator but that one won't be read

Edited by SSTG, 24 June 2012 - 02:46 PM.

#130 Sketcz

Sketcz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

Downloaded B5.5 and it doesn't work.

My Xbox chip is old, so I need to use dexbe.exe to patch every single XBE from debug to retail (why all modern XBE files start as debug by default I don't know, because it just means I can't boot them without patching first - a long time ago they ALL started off as retail).

I previously used an earlier build of B5, patching it first, and it worked fine. Most games had major glitches though.

Now I tried to patch all the files to retail and half of them don't patch. For example 1964-611.xbe will patch to retail, but 1964-611M.xbe stoically refuses to patch, and constantly defaults back to debug.

I ignored this and tried running it anyway - no dice! Loading Surreal64 via my custom dash just crashes it back to the dash. Why is this? Previous versions of Surreal64 worked fine!

#131 weinerschnitzel

weinerschnitzel

X-S Senior Member

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:58 AM

Those are Release_LTCG binaries, none of them are debug... Crashing might be due to some assets being missing. Check if you have all of your skin files, and make sure E:\TDATA\64CE64CE\surreal-ce.ini isn't looking for any skin you don't have.

Otherwise a clean install along with wiping the TDATA folder "64CE64CE" will get you going again. It might be that some leftovers from a previous install are messing with it. Good Luck!

#132 Sketcz

Sketcz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

Thanks for the reply - will try that! I removed several skins folders and the folder with box images, to save space (my HDD is the original and low on space).

As for being debug... dexbe.exe seems to think they are. Previous emulators/games I've had, which didn't boot, I would load in dexbe.exe, see the little dropbox saying "debug", and then under file I'd patch to retail and then they'd work.

#133 greenmile

greenmile

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

Thanks again to everyone who made this release possible - it's really top notch stuff. Can't thank you all enough really. I'm pretty sure I'll be playing Mario 64 on this emu past even the next gen of console - the orig Xbox will be in my entertainment cabinet for the next 50 years probably because of all the emulators on it.

Question: I thought last year there was talk of integrating the latest 1964 source into Surreal - is that still a thing? Or is there any other development plans for Surreal?

#134 weinerschnitzel

weinerschnitzel

X-S Senior Member

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:48 AM

Ez0n3 was working on it again last year with the help of schibo. It builds nicely using the same codebase as 1964 1.1 for PC, but it hasn't been touched since. The page reads for the rom in virtual memory are called from inline assembly that's been modified. I've spent some time reading up on these instructions and staring at each change and from what I make of it, it looks ok. unless writing to eax,ebx,ecx and edx make a difference in what order they are written to. Aren't they supposed to be general purpose though? I'm willing to spend the time if someone can help me with this.

The big issue lies here in dma.cpp:
CODE
            pushad
            mov ecx, i //mov eax, i
            mov edx, target
            //mov ebx, source
            align 16
_Label :
            //test ecx, ecx //surreal old - 0.85
            and ecx, ecx //and eax, eax //surreal new 1.1 - etempp

jz _Label2
            push ecx //added
            push edx //added
            mov ecx, source //mov ecx, dword ptr[ebx]
            call ReadUWORDFromROM //added
            pop edx //added
            pop ecx //added
            inc ecx // inc eax //1.1 location //etempp
            mov dword ptr[edx], eax //mov dword ptr[edx], ecx
            add source, 4 //add ebx, 4
            add edx, 4
            //inc ecx //0.85 location
            jmp _Label
_Label2 :
            popad

1964 1.1 Win32 Working:
CODE
            pushad
            mov eax, i
            mov edx, target
            mov ebx, source
            align 16
_Label :
            and eax, eax
            jz _Label2
            mov ecx, dword ptr[ebx]
            inc eax
            mov dword ptr[edx], ecx
            add ebx, 4
            add edx, 4
            jmp _Label
_Label2 :
            popad

EDIT: Madmab read it for me and more or less confirmed this routine is ok. 1964 has many more changed inline ASM routines, with only a handful being related to XBOX changes. Ez0n3 and schibo left one or two other memory issue markers, this change in dma.cpp being the most significant.

You won't have to wait for this though, PJ64 1.6 works beautifully on the XBOX. The last thing I have to resolve is some issue where I FRAG or FRAO shortly after I load a save state. I've spent a good number of hours playing DK64, already. love.gif Gains are overall compatibility, speed, and stability. Nothing GFX wise has been fixed, nor is expected to be.

The project also intends to move away from the XDK samples in the launcher to let the code out as legit GPL, as it should be. But I am a sucker for XPR fonts and XMV videos. tongue.gif I'll want to eventually work those in as a patch or something.

I've been posting about my progress on EmuXtras: http://www.emuxtras....?p=22780#p22780
pop.gif

Edited by weinerschnitzel, 22 August 2012 - 04:46 PM.

#135 flavor

flavor

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

Sorry, can't help you there, but WOW! Awesome work on the PJ64 update so far!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users