4 replies to this topic

#1 NiGHTSJOD

NiGHTSJOD

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:46 AM

Hi guys - absolute noob here:

I have a very annoying problem. I'm getting the open tray error with one of my games. For some reason, my 360 wont read this one specific game anymore. I have no problems playing stuff like LA Noire, Black Ops, Mortal Kombat 9 and anything else I can throw at it but this one game simply refuses to load. My knee jerk reaction was 'meh, the game must be scratched or something' but i've looked at the disc and it is in absolute perfect condition (as are all my games). I have a strong feeling that maybe the laser on my console is on the fritz. I've tried the following:
  • I've tried using a professional disc cleaning solution - no luck
  • I've used the toothpaste trick (which worked on my chum's MW2 disc a while back - no luck
  • I've tried all of the official steps (clear cache, remove HDD, remove all cables etc...) - no luck
  • Finally, I blew into the open disc tray and gave the top a few light taps before closing the tray - worked yesterday but not anymore.
  • Called Xbox support but, even though i'm ex-staff, repair still costs 90 for me!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I could do? Considering tapping the top of the (horizontally placed) console gave me temporary success, I have a feeling it's the DVD drive (probably the laser). Does this sound about right? It's odd though as much more advanced games run with no problems whatsoever. In addition, I tried a friend's disc which was a little knackered looking and that played no problem. Again, I assure you the disc is in faultless condition.

FYI, the game in question is Mushihimesama Futari (not exactly a disk/processor intensive game). I have the game installed too. Normally I wouldn't care as I could just buy it down the shop and replace it but the game is a Japanese import so that's a lot more hassle for me.

To clarify, I believe my drive is Hitachi (I still have my non HDMI, day 1 launch model). It is a completely unmodified PAL console, has never been repaired/replaced and is running the latest dashboard. If it needs the lens replaced, is there a relatively clearly written repair guide anywhere? I have the tools needed to open the console but I really don't want to risk a console ban as I really value my Live membership (and i've been told the 360 console has several "booby traps").

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section and I have looked through all FAQs and other posts but couldn't see one with this particular problem.

Thanks in advance,
NiGHTSJOD

#2 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:33 AM

Since it is failing to read most of your games, I think it is a failing laser len. Replacing the laser lens will do the trick, I believe.

EDIT: YOu can do pot tweak for temporary solution.

Edited by MadMaxGR, 03 June 2011 - 09:34 AM.

#3 NiGHTSJOD

NiGHTSJOD

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE(MadMaxGR @ Jun 3 2011, 09:33 AM) View Post

Since it is failing to read most of your games, I think it is a failing laser len. Replacing the laser lens will do the trick, I believe.

Hi. To reiterate, it has no problems playing all games and dvds except this one game. What is the pot tweak?

#4 NiGHTSJOD

NiGHTSJOD

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE(MadMaxGR @ Jun 3 2011, 09:33 AM) View Post

Hi. To reiterate, it has no problems playing all games and dvds except this one game. What is the pot tweak?

#5 ozzy_paul

ozzy_paul

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE(NiGHTSJOD @ Jun 4 2011, 02:34 AM) View Post

Here is a link to a PDF file for pot tweaking.
Download HERE

Edited by ozzy_paul, 04 June 2011 - 11:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users